Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: The Choice  (Read 11513 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Choice
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:59:05 am »

You are at an intersection in a maze. Before you stands two men, one in red, on in blue, each blocking on of the paths. In the middle stands a much shorter man with a long beard, dressed in green. As you approach, he looks at you and says "HOLD. You have reached the first of the three choices. Ahead of you, you will notice that there are guards blocking paths. Down one of these paths lies your certain destruction. Down the other lies eternal rewards. The guards will answer you questions about which path is which, but be aware - one always lies, and one always tells the truth. Ask them whatever you wish before making your choice."

With that, the dwarf falls silent. The guard on the left is dressed in blue. The one on the right is in red.

You have as many questions as you wish to ask to solve the puzzle.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:07:16 am by GlyphGryph »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Choice
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:01:24 am »

Ask man on left: What colour are you dressed in? If he says anything other than blue, I ask the man on the right which path to eternal reward, and follow the path he recommends. If he says blue, I ask him which path to eternal reward, and follow the path he recommends.

Also: Short man with a long bear?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:36:40 am »

Ask the man in green what color he's dressed in first, just to make sure.  Then ask if he always tells the truth.  Then ask him if he can say "I'm lying."
All generalizations are false....including this one.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:15:17 am »

What
Everyone over the age of seven knows the solution to this puzzle. It requires a single question, not many.
Therefore, the GM is either unsure about the intellect of the Bay12 community (foolish) or there is some twist. Like that the wee man is lying.
So.
Is the dwarf armed?
If not, pick him up and use him as a human shield. Threaten to kill him if he does not show you the correct path to take. Then take him with you as a hostage.
If he is, turn about and leave the maze. Screw this.
Long Live United Forenia!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:27:53 am »

Lets find something and stab one of the guards like in order of the stick!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 05:49:52 am »

Lets find something and stab one of the guards like in order of the stick!

In case there's nothing, stab him with your fist.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:15:25 am »

Stab his appendix.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 06:54:42 am »

Ask man on left: What colour are you dressed in? If he says anything other than blue, I ask the man on the right which path to eternal reward, and follow the path he recommends. If he says blue, I ask him which path to eternal reward, and follow the path he recommends.

"Now why in the bloody 'ell would you ask me what colour I'm dressed, eh? I'm not even sure I'd want to answer a roight bastard like you, am I?"

A little put off, you try asking both of them which path is the one to eternal rewards.
"Take whichever path you bloody well please, bub, I'm sure you'll find a way to kick off whichever one you pick, but at least you'll be out of my hair, roight?"
"Oh, no, ignore him, you know, I'm at least glad your here. Stuck with him all day and whatnot. I don't think you should take either path, I mean, aren't you happy right here keeping me company? I don't think you should leave at all?"
Ask the man in green what color he's dressed in first, just to make sure.  Then ask if he always tells the truth.  Then ask him if he can say "I'm lying."
The man looks at you curiously. Then he fumbles around in his pocket and pulls out a crumpled piece of paper.
"No, no... no, that's not in the script. I memorized the script. Thats not in it, its not on here at all. So, uh, I'll have to go with no. Very much a no. Maybe? Do I tell the truth? Can I say I'm lying? I read the script. Those ones are not on the script either. So, definitely no. No to anything not on the script, I think. Or am I supposed to say you're not supposed to ask me questions? I'm sorry, there was a second page, but I lost it..."
He looks around a bit confused, as if your questions are just too much for him.

And no, the little dwarf is not armed. The two guards are, however.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:10:25 am »

Wield the dwarf. Simple enough.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 07:16:25 am »

A bit bothered by all that has occured, you bend over and grab the dwarves ankles.

"Hey, now, what are you doing! That's not in th- WOAH! he says, as you give a pull and heft him off the ground. There's a sickening crack as his head hits the floor - he's a bit heavier than you expected, but at least he's stopped struggling as much.

You are now wielding a dwarf. You notice a wooden hatch behind where the dwarf was standing.

"What in the bloody goddamn hell? What are you doing!?"
"No, greeeeeen, don't leave meeee!!! *sob*"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:08:25 pm by GlyphGryph »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 07:18:01 am »

Just for the heck of, you hold the dwarf a bit closer to free up a hand, and then stab him in the appendix a couple times with your fist. He stops struggling completely. You go back to wielding the dwarf.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 07:25:30 am »

Go down the hatch!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:31:20 am »

You would have difficulty going through the hatch while wielding a dwarf.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:34:21 am »

Hold green by the beard and hit red with him, then escape down the hatch, dragging green behind.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 12:07:47 pm »

Red goes to say something about how you are not actually allowed down, but you don't let him get any further, and clobber him with your dwarf. Then you kick open the hatch and crawl through, dragging green behind you by the beard.

Blue just stammers a good riddance.

You are now in what appears to be a break room. A pot of coffee boils on a stove nearby, and there is a table with a half eaten biscuit on it. There are three doors in the room. Looking behind each one, you find a bathroom, a bedroom, and a long hallway.

You notice there is a scrap of paper next to the biscuit on the table. It says "Eat me".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12