Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: couple questions  (Read 343 times)

btm109

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
couple questions
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:38:37 pm »

I haven't been able to find answers to these anywhere so here goes:

How do you give an item to a dwarf?  I have created some steel pickaxes, flasks and backpacks for the miners to use but cant figure out how to get them to use them.

Milking animals.  I have cages full of cows right next to the farmer's workshop but a couple of things happen when I set the orders to milk.  either they say 'no milkable creature available' or they are interrupted by some hostile creature (which I can only guess is the cow itself since there is nothing else in the area).  Is there something specific I need to do to be able to milk something (this is DF2010 not 40d)? 

Animals in cages.  If I have untrained dogs in cages in the animal storage area the animal trainer can't seem to find them for training and I can't see any way to release the animal w/o installing the cage somewhere else and then letting the animal out which means a lot of guessing about which cage has the animal I want.  Is there a better way of using animals in the storage area?

I notice you can make a room from a cage but I can't tell what the purpose is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: couple questions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:50:27 pm »

I might be able to help a little.

Pickaxes are used automatically.  Assign a dwarf the mining labor and designate some land to be mined and he'll pick up an available pickaxe and use it.

As for flasks, I believe they are only used by soldiers to carry drink around with them.  Backpacks might be the same way.  I'm not sure though so don't quote me on that.

I've never milked a creature, but I'm going to guess that either they can't be milked in cages or you have to designate them to be milked from the unit itself like slaughtering tamed animals. (Again, ONLY a guess but it will give you something to try until a better knowledged player can answer).

As for caged animals I believe you do have to release them from a built cage, not one in storage.  However, you don't have to guess and check.  Once you are on the screen where you are selecting the cage to put there, there is a button to show more details.  I think it's z, but it might be x.  Either way it should be an option displayed on that screen.

If you already have a cage built, select it using q for building settings and then assign it the animal you want in it(I think you press a and then enter on the desired animal).  Once the animal has arrived go back into the assign menu and unassign him.  As far as I know, someone will come along and let the animal out since he has no cage assigned to him anymore.

Except for the thing about pickaxes, I'm not certain on anything I've said but I'm pretty sure.  Maybe someone else can verify.
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:53:07 pm »

I haven't been able to find answers to these anywhere so here goes:

How do you give an item to a dwarf?  I have created some steel pickaxes, flasks and backpacks for the miners to use but cant figure out how to get them to use them.

You wonīt give it to them...
they will take the items if they need them (and  they arenīt forbidden) ;)
As for backpacks...these are for the military only. Soldiers use them to store food in them.

Milking animals.  I have cages full of cows right next to the farmer's workshop but a couple of things happen when I set the orders to milk.  either they say 'no milkable creature available' or they are interrupted by some hostile creature (which I can only guess is the cow itself since there is nothing else in the area).  Is there something specific I need to do to be able to milk something (this is DF2010 not 40d)? 

Usually the announcement about hostile creatures only  appearswhen, after milking, a dwarf wants to putn the cow back to its cage.
Well,  what you need (aside from  a cow or another  milkable female animal [dwarves arre  smart enough to understand that the thing coming out of male animals isnīt milk :D] is a fresh bucket (the milk  gets stored in it, until it can be put into a barrel as a suitable store.
Oh and you can milk each cow only once per coupleof weeks (oreven per season, donīt know the exact intervals)

Animals in cages.  If I have untrained dogs in cages in the animal storage area the animal trainer can't seem to find them for training and I can't see any way to release the animal w/o installing the cage somewhere else and then letting the animal out which means a lot of guessing about which cage has the animal I want.  Is there a better way of using animals in the storage area?

I notice you can make a room from a cage but I can't tell what the purpose is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is easy to find out which cagecontains which animal.
If upon trying to install a cage the program asks you which cage to use, press x.
This gives you a list  in which each cage is listed separately, including its content.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »

Flask and backpack are only used by military dwarves and since recruited dwarves tend to completely stop doing their civilian duties, I would not recommend adding them to a squad. They should grab a pick when you activate mining labor, it might not work if using dwarf therapist to activate it or if you have the population requirement for an Arsenal Dwarf but none has been appointed. I am not sure about either since I never got any problem with miners.

I think you cannot milk caged creatures. Chaining them should allow your dwarves to milk them. I never used milking myself however.

2 solutions for taking animal out of stockpiled cages: you can assign said animal to be chained, sent into a pit or caged somewhere else and cancel the task after the dog is out. You can also, while selecting the cage to be built, press "x" (I think) to expand the info about possible cages. It should be easy to find out which one you want.

Rooms designed from cages can be either a zoo (a meeting area similar to statue garden) or a prison IIRC.

Prepost edit: Some questions have already been answered, but I hate typing for nothing, so here goes.