Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: computer performance  (Read 2581 times)

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Re: computer performance
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 12:20:51 pm »

Well of course. Unless your desktop was really old or your laptop really new and expensive that is to be expected.

Do the normal ways of upping your FPS. Turn off Temperature and cave ins. Keep your fortress' small and your population low and the game is totally playable.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 02:07:20 pm »

my old computer was a less-advanced laptop and played with about twice the FPS with temp and cave-ins active :'(
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 02:42:14 pm »

I agree with everything except the personal attack at the end. Just because someone says something stupid does not make them an idiot. Refrain from the personal attacks please. Personal attacks ruin the friendly atmosphere that is intended at Bay 12.
I did not call him an idiot. I said he doesn't know what he's talking about and his advice is dangerous to heed. If one does not want it noted that their advice is outright dangerous and that they are blathering about topics where their knowledge is nearly nonexistent, then perhaps they should not do so.

The truth is not kind.

Odd!x, what are the specs of your old machine? Including graphics chipset? (And what is the graphics chipset in the current one?)
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 03:00:42 pm »

I have no clue what my old computer had, unfortunately.  As I said, I'm not that proficient with computers, but my closest guess as to what the graphics chipset in my current computer (which I found in my 'device manager' under 'display adapters') is "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

if that's not a graphics chipset, then I probably don't know what one looks like, which is very likely.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »

Performance is an issue of processor, memory, video card(s) and what operating system you're using. It would be helpful to know the specs of your old machine and also your new machine, so the specs can be compared to see where the problem may be.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »

Your new machine almost certainly has an Intel graphics chipset. This is what we call "LOL BAD." It's considerably worse when dealing with the backwards graphics code of the current release.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 04:44:39 pm »

this is good to know.  Where can I find my current chipset?

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50:03 pm »

thanks for the tip; here is the relevant (well it looked pretty important) information:
Model: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R)CPU   900 @2.20GHz 2.19GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System

I've tried DF 2010 on the same system (only with 1GB RAM and a 32bit windows XP which has been unformatted for 6 years)
From my experience: Laptop CPU's are always considered to be inferior due do to being designed with energy efficiency as their prime focus (read: lower performance).
Also, your cpu (The cpu is important when running DF) is not really at all comparable to today's CPU's. For a comparison, your CPU is only 10% of what today's CPU's are capable of performing. Thus, if you don't experience lag while on a riverless map of size 2x2, no weather or temperature, you are having one hell of a celeron 2.2gHz processor.

Total conlusion with your CPU: You should have lots of lags, even on non-river, nontemperature, nonweather maps.
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 06:54:31 pm »

Probably stated already, but it's worth noting that celerons are pieces-of-crap budget processors.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 07:48:11 pm »

ugh.  this is distressing.  "comparable model" the sales guy said when I was getting a replacement under warranty.  "comparable model" my a$$.  My old computer could run 4x4 embarks complete with temperature and water features PDQ up until around 60 migrants!

I'll get the specs for my old computer soon; my mother has an identical model...

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 09:16:01 pm »

It does sound like you've gotten a bit of a lemon, if it was supposed to be "comparable".

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 09:49:00 pm »

ok.  I found the specs for my old computer.

Model: Satellite A215
Processor: AMD Turion(tm)64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 1.90 GHz
Memory(RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

and here is my new computer's specs

Model: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R)CPU   900 @2.20GHz 2.19GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:19:28 am by Odd!x »

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:54 pm »

That's not at all similar.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48:02 am »

Bring it back to the store, yell loudly until they take it back. If the manager comes to talk to you without you asking for him, your doing it right.

They literally lied to you.

I totally did not notice that it was a celeron processer. I was all "what? 10%? that sounds wrong", but with a celeron, yeah...

They lied to you.

In the future, politely listen to the sales guy, but do not buy until consulting with a good tech guy who does NOT work for the store (or any other store). In fact, NEVER buy ANYTHING until consulting elsewhere. Salespeople are notorious for trying to get you to buy then and there, and will happily lie to you to do so. Salespeople are almost always technological idiots.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 09:21:16 am »

If it's a modern celery then it won't be too god-awful. Some digging does make it look like it should be comparable to that Turion.
Information about what the graphics chip is would be useful. Open up the change resolution settings mathingy by right-clicking on the desktop, then look in the dropdown where it says "1. Monitor name (Generic (non) plug-and-play normally) on Graphics Chip Name".

Scratch that, I've dug the two up myself:
The old one had a ATI Radeon XPress 1200 (Information courtesy of Amazon)
The new one has a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (Again, from Amazon)

Relative performance (reported 3d mark scores from here):
ATI Radeon Xpress X1200839
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500M   965

The Intel is actually better :o

So, um, it does seem comparable to me.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3