Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: computer performance  (Read 2586 times)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
computer performance
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »

I recently had my old computer junked out for a new one under warranty, and I was assured that it was comparable to the one that was junked.  The only difference I can see is that it's under a different operating system (old one was windows vista, new one is windows 7) and yet when I installed DF2010, I couldn't get anything done, the fps was so low!  I tried lowering the G_FPS to a more reasonable number, but to no avail; it was the same speed.  I also tried installing and using Game Booster but it doesn't seem to help at all...

what can I do to increase my laptop performance?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: computer performance
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »

Could just be a driver issue. DF actually does rely heavily on video drivers.

What were the specs of the old machine and the new machine?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55:26 pm »

ugh... I've tried my best to find my computer's specs, but I can't for the life of me find them (I'm not what you would call computer literate).  Where would I begin to look for this?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:49:19 am »

I think (not experienced with anything but XP): Start menu, 'Computer', right-click on the empty space in the window that appears, properties. Wait a little while- sometimes it takes some time to check- then screencap it or copypaste.

ALSO: are you comparing DF31.X to DF40d#? If so, the speed decrease is understandable, as DF2010 doesn't yet have all the openGL magic that Baughn was doing in the 40d#'s, and there are also a bunch of extra things to keep track of.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:51:16 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:03:05 am »

thanks for the tip; here is the relevant (well it looked pretty important) information:
Model: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R)CPU   900 @2.20GHz 2.19GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System

and yes, I am comparing DF2010 to .40.  Good to know that the new version is slower.

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:08:05 pm »

... windows 7 ... laptop ....

As much as I'd like to say that I think Windows 7 is the right OS for a laptop, I'd be lying. Try something like XP or Windows 98.

Microsoft bashing aside, 40d# magic isn't in DF2010. My friend Kaphonaits compared 40d and 40d# and 40d was unplayable.
Just wait it out, your laptop's fine. DF2010 is a buggy release right now and unoptimized. I thought the fact that the rain kills people was a dead giveaway.

Just wait it out until the merge is done.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:29:02 pm »

alright, thanks for the help.  I'll just go DL the ol' version now I think.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:17:20 am »

As much as I'd like to say that I think Windows 7 is the right OS for a laptop, I'd be lying. Try something like XP or Windows 98.
This is possibly the worst advice I have seen given in. To recommend Windows 98 of all things--out of support since 2006--is beyond stupid and is absolutely irresponsible.

Windows XP support, while extant, is being dialed back steadily and the software lacks fairly large security (and performance) features that have been introduced in Vista and 7. Furthermore, he has a 64-bit processor, which makes your suggestion doubly fucking poor, given the absolutely ruinous quality of XP x64.

Vista had some persistent performance issues, largely addressed in SP1 and SP2--it's not appreciably different than Windows 7 now. Windows 7, for its part, runs quite well on a goddamned netbook of all things. There is no good reason not to be using Windows 7 unless your computer is utterly RAM-starved--and even then, you may actually get better perf from Windows 7 than Windows XP. His computer is both fast enough and carries enough RAM to be just fine.

You need to stop giving people computer advice. You are a danger to anyone who listens to you and it is entirely clear that you are not qualified to give advice on computer-related topics. In short, you are excrementally packed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:31:38 am by Blacken »
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:34:18 am »

My friend has a gaming supercomputer with Win 7 on it. He was having some frequent (read: constant) CTDs with 40d, especially when embarking. Switching to the XP compatibility pack and running it as an administrator helped most of the crashes.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 11:00:16 am »

Windows 98. I Lol'd.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:13:21 pm »

I recommend Windows 3.1.  Think about all the old, great games you could play in their native OS environment.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:32:46 pm »

I recommend Windows 3.1.  Think about all the old, great games you could play in their native OS environment.

Don't forget Microsoft Bob!
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:41:33 pm »

Edit: I call this post, wrong topic post.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 07:54:40 am »

This is possibly the worst advice I have seen given in. To recommend Windows 98 of all things--out of support since 2006--is beyond stupid and is absolutely irresponsible.

Windows XP support, while extant, is being dialed back steadily and the software lacks fairly large security (and performance) features that have been introduced in Vista and 7. Furthermore, he has a 64-bit processor, which makes your suggestion doubly fucking poor, given the absolutely ruinous quality of XP x64.

Vista had some persistent performance issues, largely addressed in SP1 and SP2--it's not appreciably different than Windows 7 now. Windows 7, for its part, runs quite well on a goddamned netbook of all things. There is no good reason not to be using Windows 7 unless your computer is utterly RAM-starved--and even then, you may actually get better perf from Windows 7 than Windows XP. His computer is both fast enough and carries enough RAM to be just fine.

You need to stop giving people computer advice. You are a danger to anyone who listens to you and it is entirely clear that you are not qualified to give advice on computer-related topics. In short, you are excrementally packed.

98? Hahahahaha. Just wow.

For once, I agree with Blacken here.

I personally run XP x64 on my desktop and can vouch for how horrible it is. (better than 98 though 8))

If I recall correctly, a newly installed copy of XP (32-bit, SP2) used about 550mb of RAM, Vista (32-bit) nearly 700mb, and Windows 7 (32-bit) a little more than 400mb. (These are from memory and can very well be flawed, and Aero is included. (newly installed = default install = Aero included) Without Aero Vista will probably look much lower)

I personally run Windows 7 on a laptop with slightly lower specs than yours Odd!x, and it runs awesome (and I have not even disabled Aero (or wait... is it called Aero on W7? I forget :() on it.)

I agree with everything except the personal attack at the end. Just because someone says something stupid does not make them an idiot. Refrain from the personal attacks please. Personal attacks ruin the friendly atmosphere that is intended at Bay 12.

Also: http://xkcd.com/386/  ;D
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:39 am »

do you run DF on this laptop of yours?  On mine I found that all versions of DF run slower than my old computer :(
Pages: [1] 2 3