Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: computer performance  (Read 2583 times)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: computer performance
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 12:23:53 pm »

Well, since starting this thread I'm more confused than ever.  At least this is all quite interesting at the same time :D

On the bright side, it seems that the intel plays TF2 better than my old Toshiba, but I wonder why I get such terrible lags on DF with this computer compared to my old one though...
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 12:26:38 pm »

Just to check, you're not comparing DF 2010 to DF 40d are you? 2010 is significantly slower.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 01:20:41 pm »

both versions are significantly slower than they were on my Toshiba.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 04:00:05 pm »

If it's a modern celery then it won't be too god-awful. Some digging does make it look like it should be comparable to that Turion.
The Celeron 900 is a Penryn derivative. It's also single-core and not faster (clock-by-clock) than a Turion X2.

It's not "10%" as a well-meaning clueless person said, but it is significantly slower.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 04:34:33 pm »

I couldn't find out conclusively whether it was a dual-core originally, but now I have, on wikipedia: "Intel initially listed the Celeron 900 as Dual-Core [...] in its Processorfinder and ARK databases, which caused confusion among customers."

So it isn't. I also don't deny that it is slower per clock than a Turion (it's a celery after all), but it's also got more clocks (15% more). It's Core 2 based, so it shouldn't be that slow. This benchmark claims it should be ~10% slower than the Turion in question (presumably only comparing one core of the Turion). That shouldn't equal 90% less DF performance, so we're still missing something.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 05:24:20 pm »

Bloatware?
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »

graphics incompaitibilities?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 06:38:56 am »

That's the likeliest cause. Intel's drivers tend to be less polished than the two giants.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 08:43:30 am »

That's the likeliest cause. Intel's drivers tend to be less polished than the two giants.

This is an extremely true fact.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.
Pages: 1 2 [3]