Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't dig past level 133  (Read 909 times)

donghits

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't dig past level 133
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:02:16 pm »

This is my first fortress and I'm just learning the game. I started on level 149 and dug down to level 133. I can't get my dwarves to dig any deeper. The game refuses to mark any down stairs on level 133.

Earlier in the game I came across a large chasm which extended down to level 133. Is this related?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Can't dig past level 133
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:10:26 pm »

If I were you I'd be careful, you have just hit Semi-Molten Rock.

It's impassable. Though there are exceptions to that rule, one of them is.

And you don't want to know what's below that, really.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:20:24 pm »

Tarran: I wouldn't be too sure - he shouldn't be hitting that after only 16 Z-levels. Of course, it's possible he's struck a completely different type of "fun" - by any chance are the unmineable tiles called "slade"?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:21:42 pm »

Which version are you playing?  If you are playing one of the 40d versions, you can't dig more than 15 levels down from the lowest open ground level on the map.  Since you say there's a chasm on your map I'm betting that's the case, since chasms don't exist as such in DF2010.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:23:38 pm »

Tarran: I wouldn't be too sure - he shouldn't be hitting that after only 16 Z-levels. Of course, it's possible he's struck a completely different type of "fun" - by any chance are the unmineable tiles called "slade"?
Hm, my lack of reading correctly may be related to my dabbling skill at reading correctly.

Ice maybe? I never had this before.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

donghits

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 09:58:07 pm »

I'm playing v0.27.176.38c, OSX build. Is that a 40d version? I think the depth is about right for 15 levels below the lowest above-ground.

Floor 133 is (mostly) granite. I've learned that I didn't chose this location very well (no flux) so I may start a new game.

Should I hunt around for a newer DF version? What's recommended for OSX? (I can wine it if necessary)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:04:59 pm »

What's recommended for OSX?
Replacement with Windows 7.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:08:48 pm »

First, you have an outdated version, 40d is the latest version.

Second, how tall is your map? 40d normally doesn't have that many z-levels unless you embark on mountains.

Are you trying to be useless?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:18:13 pm »

40d is the latest stable version.

If you are comfortable with the game, delve straight into 0.31.03 as the new features, albeit buggy, are AWESOME.

See at top of page for links.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »

40d is the latest stable version.

If you are comfortable with the game, delve straight into 0.31.03 as the new features, albeit buggy, are AWESOME.

See at top of page for links.
He has to use wine though. Because he is on a mac.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 10:25:13 pm »

Are you trying to be useless?

I don't think he was, that's what OSX is for. ;)

http://www.instantrimshot.com/
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:29:13 pm »

Second, how tall is your map? 40d normally doesn't have that many z-levels unless you embark on mountains.

He was talking overall world height levels, not levels aboveground or whatnot. So yeah, seems like he just hit the 15z mark in a grassy plain somewhere.