Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unhappiness and the Military  (Read 420 times)

ReducedToRubble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Unhappiness and the Military
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:08:20 pm »

So recently I made a map that, to my surprise, had no goblins. They were all wiped out by the humans 320 years ago. I decided I'd embark on a haunted forest and take my chances there to get my fun. I took along a steel bar and an axedwarf to make sure I didn't instantly have too much fun. Lucky I did, because the map endlessly spawns werewolves (with short breaks in between when a pack of wolves is spawned instead) who harass my dwarves. Urist McHelsing has done a good job of fighting them off so far, but now she's been starving and dehydrating herself even when there are no werewolves around.

Alert level is set to inactive, min training is set to 1, so I don't know of any other ways to encourage her to eat/drink. She keeps getting unhappier and unhappier. Eventually, I had to cancel her orders to be stationed at the front of my fortress, but that only made her madder at being "relieved from duty" and she tantrumed. Is it at all possible to have a workable military in 2010? It seems like you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Any advice?

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unhappiness and the Military
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:39:48 pm »

I've had very similar problems.  Lost one of my squad for what seems like the same reason, and unfortunately have not found a good solution.  I now have my squad only train in half the months out of the year and manually check their happiness occasionally and remove them from the squad for a time if they look too unhappy.

The military seems very difficult to manage so far, I'm hoping to see some improvements in the next release :)
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:43:26 pm »

...the map endlessly spawns werewolves... Urist McHelsing has done a good job of fighting them off so far...

Not much to contribute, but I lol'd :D
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

ReducedToRubble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:22:53 pm »

I've had very similar problems.  Lost one of my squad for what seems like the same reason, and unfortunately have not found a good solution.  I now have my squad only train in half the months out of the year and manually check their happiness occasionally and remove them from the squad for a time if they look too unhappy.

The military seems very difficult to manage so far, I'm hoping to see some improvements in the next release :)

Hm. Alright. I'll just have to do my best, and manage. Here's hoping that in future editions, you'll be allowed to designate an area a Mess Hall the same way you designate hospitals so that dwarves won't be so shy about eating/drinking.

Not much to contribute, but I lol'd :D

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 09:10:19 pm »

Not using schedule is a good way to minimize these issues. Make sure your dwarf/dwarves have both military and civilian skill so there's no complain from being recruited or relieved from duty and use the attack/move command instead of schedule.

My current fortress is in an evil tundra/glacier and my militia commander is doing quite fine.

Kinda large images because I'm too lazy to bother.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, make sure your dwarves either have flask/backpack or are assigned no supplies. I am not sure they are able to figure out by themselves that they need to go eat/drink when out of supplies or that they never had any to start with.