Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PERMITTED_JOB:  (Read 1512 times)

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PERMITTED_JOB:
« on: May 02, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »

It seems like if I remove say, stonecrafting from the enitity of a race I'm editing, that the entire crafting category of jobs in game disappears.  Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavior?  Since editing permitted jobs requires generating new worlds to see results, I haven't tested it very thoroughly, and was just wondering if other had noticed this.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: PERMITTED_JOB:
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 06:29:18 pm »

Removing PERMITTED_JOB will disable the job for the civ, and prevent any goods related to that job from showing up in caravans.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 06:48:09 pm »

What I mean is, if I remove 1 job in a category - like stonecrafting is in the 'crafts' category on the job menu in game -  then the entire category disappears off the jobs menu.  Even though weaving, leatherworking, etc are PERMITTED_JOBs, they aren't available.  The whole category is gone.  I first noticed this when I was trying to make a carnivorous race that didn't farm.  They still needed butchers.  But in order to have butchery be available on the jobs menu, I had to permit ALL of the farming related jobs.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:29:04 pm »

It's a known problem,  I'm not sure how soon Toady will get around to fixing it.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:49:03 am »

Just so i don't have to start a new thread:

what job permitted tag can i use so that i don't require a dungeon master to train exotics?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:33:46 am »

You have to change all PET_EXOTIC to PET on the creatures you want to tame normally.

PET_EXOTIC means that they can be tamed by dungeon master only.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:21:05 am »

ooooor you could just give   [RESPONSIBILITY:TAME_EXOTICS]  to someone else in entity_default.txt, like your Expedition Leader and Mayor.  Either way, you're going to have to generate a new world.  If you're a masochist and go through all the creature raws and change all PET_EXOTIC's to PET's, you can use your existing world a little.  Creatures that are spawned after you make the change will be non-exotic.  But existing creatures will remain exotic.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:30:05 am by derigo »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »

Creatures that are spawned after you make the change will be non-exotic.  But existing creatures will remain exotic.
Lies  :o. Where did you get this info? I am pretty sure that there's no "leftover" token. Like, if you mod a creature to have two heads, those spawned before the change won't be left with 1 head.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 04:22:24 pm »

You may certainly be right, I do not know for sure either way.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »

A-ha. You just sounded very confident about it, that's why I noted it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:38:13 pm »

Nah, changing the PET_EXOTIC tag to PET works instantly as soon as you reload your fortress.  I've trained groundhogs and warthogs and wolves and other animals I saw on my maps by altering the tags and reloading my fortress.  If you change a tag, it's changed.  You only have to re-gen with drastic changes such as adding animals, or plants.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 04:55:37 pm »

Also, I don't believe you are able to change anything in the entity defs without genning a new world.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:13 pm »

Also, I don't believe you are able to change anything in the entity defs without genning a new world.
False, the permitted jobs are one of the few things wich don't need a regen.
The use of the phrase-begining "I think that ..." is quite usefull if you haven't tested something just heard on the forum or tougth it is like that ... the only good surce is test in dwarf fortress ... so that is why i correct myself to, i think it is possible to change since it was in the d40 versions, i would be surprised if it is not anymore in the new one ... (you need to chang in the saves folder bytheway)
;)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 07:41:25 pm »

Erm 'I don't believe' is just another way to express uncertainty.  It was not my intention to imply that I have definitive, all-encompassing knowledge of the subject.  However, in my experience, changing things in the entity defs has no effect unless you generate a new world.  The PERMITTED_JOB tag may well be a special case.  On the other hand, a lot of things have changed from 40d, so it should be tested.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 07:46:26 pm »

Creatures that are spawned after you make the change will be non-exotic.  But existing creatures will remain exotic.
Lies  :o. Where did you get this info? I am pretty sure that there's no "leftover" token. Like, if you mod a creature to have two heads, those spawned before the change won't be left with 1 head.
Well, I would like to point out when I was trying to make dwarfs so I would do work on aquifers and rivers and oceans, I genned a world where the dwarfs were more or less normal. I then added the whole fire immune thing and fixed temp and changed the homeotherm and when the next migrant wave came, the dwarfs were more or less fire dwarfs which boiled water I think 2 tiles away. I then removed the fire immune and homeotherm and fixed temp and the next wave was normal dwarfs. The fire dwarfs persisted even though all of that was changed. I had to keep them separate though... Kept melting my own dwarfs... and live stock... and any other item.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: [1] 2