Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So is it random, or a timer.. that makes a warrior become attached to his gear?  (Read 513 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At first I thought perhaps lots of kills racked up on Urist's spear was a good reason to take a liking to it.

But a recruit in the hospital with the only battle experience of being tenderized, he became attached to his shield...
igless

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It probably protected him from being mashed into a bloodier pulp.
I'd take a liking to sheet of iron if it prevented me from being mashed into bloody pulp.

Or maybe he crushed a goblins skull with it when you weren't looking, and decided that that was awesome so he should keep the shield and covet it forever.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it may be a bit of both, like strange moods: once a dwarf has been equipped with an item for X days, there's a Y chance of him becoming attached to it.

If it was just a timer then they would grow attached to all of their gear in a short space of time (depending on when they equipped it all).

I would think that it is influenced by personal preferences as well, so a dwarf that likes bismuth bronze will have more chance to grow attached to a bismuth bronze short sword (for example).

Then again... it makes sense that a dwarf who ended up in hospital wouldn't want to give up his shield! lol.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But a recruit in the hospital with the only battle experience of being tenderized, he became attached to his shield...
Attached how?  It may have to be surgically removed...
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think it's directly related to combat use because I've had dwarves in my squad grow attached to gear that has never seen combat.  They have only done training drills with it on.
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my experience, dwarves going through harsh times tend to do that.

The only time I had a dwarf grow attached to something is when he was Unhappy (or worse). It seems to be a dwarf grief technique.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.