Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not getting any traders.  (Read 2159 times)

soylentbrew

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Not getting any traders.
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:06:37 pm »

Running 0.31.03

I have a trade depot, and I've had two waves of immigration but no traders at all. I've just gotten through my first winter, into spring. Is there anything I can do?

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not getting any traders.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:16:12 pm »

Did you hit tab a few times when embarking? It may have said 'no trade' for all the civs. I think rivers actually block traders now (as when I tried to embark, every sqaure past this one river was 'no trade'), but I don't think they affect migrants.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:17:31 pm »

Are you sure its accessible?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

soylentbrew

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »

Did you hit tab a few times when embarking? It may have said 'no trade' for all the civs. I think rivers actually block traders now (as when I tried to embark, every sqaure past this one river was 'no trade'), but I don't think they affect migrants.

Is there any way to check this post-embarking?

When I hit D it shows as wagon accessible.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 01:58:48 pm »

Is there any way to check this post-embarking?

When I hit D it shows as wagon accessible.

Wagon access is currently moot, as nobody uses wagons for some reason or other. Is the site accessible to other civs? ie. not surrounded by mountains/ocean/etc?

Also, your dwarven civ may be dead, I'm not sure how it handles migrants in that case, but I've had a dead civ and migrants before.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:25:46 pm »

Traders show up even if the depot is inaccessible, so that's unrelated.

It's possible your fort is too far or barred off from all friendly civilizations. If that's the case, you won't get traders.

You can check if a spot is like this on embark by hitting tab a few times to show nearby civilizations. If you've already embarked, make a copy of your save directory (in the same place) and rename it regionX or something. Then load the game from that region, abandon the fortress and start a new game to Reclaim.

Spider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »

apparently the "no trade" tag makes no difference. i've embarked on in a region where dwarves where marked as "no trade" but the caravan still came in autumn. this was in 31.03.

soylentbrew

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:01:43 pm »

Well I finally got an elven caravan but no Dwarf traders and several seasons of "no migrants". I really like the site so I am going to stick it out and see what happens...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 01:58:35 pm »

Hit C in game to bring up the civ list. See if any leaders are listed for your dwarves. if not, they are extinct, and you will get no migrants after the second wave and no traders at all.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.