Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natural Mushrooms  (Read 681 times)

Baney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.efrgames.com
Natural Mushrooms
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:26:38 am »

With all the mud and grime of dwarves running around caves, surely moulds, Shrooms, Lichens and Mosses would be growing in places, Dwarves would normally ignore them, (unless they grew extra big) but if you run out of food, they might go grab these tasty treats, as much as they try to find vermin.. Also, might make some of the abandoned tunnels look rather interesting..

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »

All that stuff needn't actually be edible, otherwise starvation will get even harder. A single cockroach sating one's hunger is already pretty broken, adding in free plump helmets that grow on walls would trivialize it further.

The game supposedly already has moss or something like that, it just grows slow. 50 years slow. Not sure if I was just getting my leg pulled though.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:39:44 pm »

Edible fungi already grow in the underground caverns. If you're making tunnels down there and the tunnels get mud in them, they should grow there too.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:36:12 pm »

Yes.  This already exists -- anywhere where plants can grow, things you can collect with plant gathering also grow.  And it doesn't really break the food system -- it's much more difficult than farming, ranching, trading for food or anything like that.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:38:46 pm »

I'd like to see some unique, unfarmable subterranean plants similar in concept to those on the surface, especially if there's added functionality for the extracts like golden salve and gnomeblight later on; being able to make some custom underground extracts with varying uses would be interesting, especially if they're rare and can't be grown in farm plots.  Plus, being able to brew an additional type of drink once in a while would be nice to further flesh out my fortresses' excellent alcohol selection.

Of course, on an unrelated note it would also be nice to see medicinal plants used in the hospital system for various purposes.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:29:12 pm »

All that stuff needn't actually be edible, otherwise starvation will get even harder. A single cockroach sating one's hunger is already pretty broken, adding in free plump helmets that grow on walls would trivialize it further.

The game supposedly already has moss or something like that, it just grows slow. 50 years slow. Not sure if I was just getting my leg pulled though.

Well then, how about another suggestions for food.
Some sort of new skill type thing, with a bar

E.g.
level 1
100/1000

Yould start starving at a certain level and once it gets down to 0 you die, prehaps 10% of the max will be the starvation level.
Every edible item will have a hunger + number.
E.g. a fly would be like 5 hunger points while a mushroom be like 50 (assuming something like dwarves and what type of mushroom)

Another bar could be added for a thirst sort of skill, but thats a differnt topic...

Anyway, the longer you starve the more experience for the hunger level you get, adding up more and more.
eating food will also give you exp (Depending on the hunger points the item fuffills...).
Once you reach the maximum e.g. 1000/1000, you will be unable to consume any more till your hunger goes down again, thus preventing experience abuse...
That or if you continue eating you will vomit up 50% of your hunger points, and leave piles of spew around your character.

Also i think some movement speed disadvantages should be at order at different parts of fulfilment, n/n is pretty much bloated and another bite will cause you to vomit, and your movement speed be reduced at bloated to halfway between crouching speed and standing speed.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:36 pm »

Some of this stuff is already possible with modding.
For example, if you want a rare underground plant to be unfarmable, just remove the seed tag (or if you modded it in, don't put one.).
Also, some modding will give you many more plants to play with in fortress mode. If you need help with this, or want someone else to do it for you, there are several helpful guides in modding sub-forum.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:25:11 am »

*Salutes*
My modding skills are always available for the public, just say the word.