Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So just how long is your fort lasting in df2010 before frame rate is horrid?  (Read 2669 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My lovely fortress is in 1056, and things are quite dandy.  Or were.  The demon I mentioned, well, he was the ambassador for the humans.  As mentioned, we made fun of him, ignored him, he kicked butt when beasts arrived--a good time had by all until he was a corpse after a goblin siege.  A flashing purple corpse that no one collected or paid any attention to. 

The sieges are ridiculous now.  They come from all sides and the framerate drops (combat still goes so fast when they do fight, though, I have to pause it). 

So, the last siege had the elven war leader from the north, leading in a bunch of pikegoblins.  Spear goblins from the east, crossbow goblins from the west.  All approaching my fort entrance at the south.

They came, they saw, they got killed--My top squad meeting the goblins with the leader half way through the map, towards the north.  My mediocre squads ended up wandering east to clean up, with crossbow goblins scattering everywhere near the entrance of my base, killing maybe five civilians before being taken down.  The goblin leaders always seem to escape in the scuffles..

Then the humans immediately sieged after the goblins.  I had just canceled the station orders and the dwarves went back inside when the humans came.

All bronze armored with bronze pikes.  My dwarfs with bronze weapons had a hard time, some of my legendary fighters are laid to rest.

That's fine.  I defended successfully with minimal losses, compared to the... 44 corpses around the entrance to my fortress.  The screen is filled with goblin blood, human blood, dwarf blood, troll blood (which is not red), dragon blood, titan blood, giant eagle blood, war dog blood... you get the picture.  Parts of enemies are everywhere.  There is so much battle loot I can't even find it all unless I go to the stocks menu.

So now I realize that my hospital is way too far away from a water source; dwarfs have to go a great distance to get water...

With all the corpses, blood, items, hauling tasks, hospital tasks, little bits of ear and eye teeth all over...  it seems that the cpu can't keep up!

In the past I've had a fortress last 15-20 years before it was so big and I'd mined so much that the cpu rate slowed down significantly, but this version... seems to bottleneck very early on.

I disabled temperature and have left most of the crap forbidden, except for the fancy outfits and various non-iron armors to melt down... and yet only one goblin out of the hundreds on the map has been hauled to my refuse pile.  Bodies are everywhere.  Parts are everywhere.  I cannot build enough craftdwarf shops to deal with bones and smelters and whatnot because dwarfs are too busy doing other things to bother with architecture anymore.  I am thinking of trying to make an atom smasher again, but at 30fps, it will be a long wait!  I send the caravans away because the dwarfs dont even have time to get stuff out of the depot before the next siege. 
igless

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile

With temperature and invaders off, my framerate is horrid the moment I embark.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

100 dwarves. 50-70 FPS (really heavy pathing loads like mass dumping bring it down to about 30). Temperature is off (acid rain).
 8)

So, pretty much never. On the old version I got 20 FPS at 100 dwarves, so massive improvement. I don't know why.

EDIT: Although, on my new fort (goblin sieges-very Fun, especially when they bring trolls, and the military is lounging around rather than picking up their axes), Stonesense brings me from 100 (15 dwarves) to 60.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:51:25 am by Rotten »
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

even cooking is a disaster.  If someone decides to finally use a bunch of stuff to make a meal, the meal sits until it rots!

I think part of my problem is I really had no concept how big of a farm you needed to feed a fortress.  I have seven plots of about 4x7, fenced in with stairs leading into the ground and a path leading to the fortress.  Farming and hauling crops are about all half of the dwarfs do.  I have so much food, like 4000, and 1700 drinks.  I think I'll try turning off "all dwarfs harvest" and if that isn't good enough, then just make 3x3 plots instead.
igless

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My fort usually gets killed by a Forgotten beast before FPS gets too low... gotta work on that.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What year are you on?  For the first few years I had 70-100 fps.  This was greatly improved by my making large hallways, I think.  But as the fortress grew (and really it is mostly bedrooms, a zoo, a dining area, workshops and barracks, with 3 z levels where the shops are near supplies, storeroom for finished goods near the trade depot... everything is clustered near each other) and the sieges increased, it runs at a crawl.

*Sometimes* for some reason, it'll jump from 35fps to 55fps, for no reason I can discern.  I cage all non-war animals and keep puppies in a cage near the kennels, to release when they come of age.  If the animals are not caged near the butcher then it's the kennel or the zoo.  The frame rate used to be 70 with nearly 110 dwarfs, but I think all of the bodies and parts are causing some lag.

Just as a note, I haven't even dug to the caverns yet.  I wanted to wait until I had a decent military.  Just as I got a decent military I started to get the sieges.  I have had maybe two ambushes in the history of this fortress--it is nearly always the Vile Force of Darkness that comes.
igless

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

I found that I can have 100 FPS on embark on my crappy netbook(!!!) with the new version and DF Accelerator.

Playing on a pocket world with only 30 years of history seems to make the difference between 50 and 100 fps on a 2x2 embark. When I dig into the caverns the fps get worse 60-70 fps.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What year are you on?  For the first few years I had 70-100 fps.  This was greatly improved by my making large hallways, I think.  But as the fortress grew (and really it is mostly bedrooms, a zoo, a dining area, workshops and barracks, with 3 z levels where the shops are near supplies, storeroom for finished goods near the trade depot... everything is clustered near each other) and the sieges increased, it runs at a crawl.
Maybe try atomsmashing stuff? I heard items are checked by the game every frame for changes, so it can slow down stuff considerably. My fort was on year 2 or 3, but I don't make much stuff (the goblins were attracted by masses of gems, 100,000 db artifacts and unsmelted gold ore- 20 gold veins and no coal or weapons-grade metal beyond copper, which was in a GCS-infested cavern).
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and have left most of the crap forbidden
that does not help with FPS, as i know. Only if you completely destroy that crap fps will improve.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games

Ambushes and sieges are pretty ridiculous right now, there isn't nearly enough time to clean up before another one comes.  I'm turtling from the aboveworld ATM.  The caverns provide a more balanced threat to deal with.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The next version (with the 40d# merge) should improve FPS quite a bit. Hopefully not long to wait for it now.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Five days!

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Five days?  I can wait that long!  I was thinking of starting a new fortress, which would have been a shame because this one is going fairly well (well employed dwarfs, no idlers, no worries about food or drink, adequate metals and minerals, a water supply, a competent military... I haven't dug farther than one z level beneath ground level!)

As for the forbidding, it was to keep the dwarfs from wasting time picking things up.  I recently underwent another siege and lost about 15 workers... so from my high of 109 dwarfs I am down to 71 (that's a difference of 38,but not everyone that died was from this last round!)

The worker loss was from mistakenly deleting the burrow after I added everyone to it.  So imagine my surprise when Urist McCoffinplacer suddenly needed a coffin made for him, since he was out and about..
igless

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sieges are pretty much the only serious FPS hit I've seen in fort mode, even at forts with 150+ dwarves and a hojillion animals. And most of the hit occurs when they're actually fighting. Seal up the fort good, build a defensive plan that's going to work (i.e. not relying on your military), kill all the gobs. Skirmishing with a superior force is usually a losing proposition anyway, even when it doesn't bring everything to a grinding halt.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile

Baughn's accelerator helps, but even with that and weather off, I'm getting 6 fps because I decided to fill a massive >28,000 tile reservoir with water from the brook. Fluid slows down the game a lot.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!
Pages: [1] 2