Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Great Hall of Garbage  (Read 3002 times)

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Hall of Garbage
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55:51 am »

Those fungi etc grow there because the ground is soil. Once you discover the caverns plants will start randomly plopping up on underground soil layers. You can use this to your advantage by digging out a large area in soil and using this for an underground forest, if you feel that it is too dangerous to venture outside to chop down trees (due to animals, goblin ambushes etc). If you dont want them in your fort (they will probably be trampled, but if they grow up they can block stuff for your dwarves) build floors everywhere on the soil.

Wow that sounds super useful. After I complete my colossus pit for goblin disposal I'll set to work on that.
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:09:15 pm »

Those fungi etc grow there because the ground is soil. Once you discover the caverns plants will start randomly plopping up on underground soil layers. You can use this to your advantage by digging out a large area in soil and using this for an underground forest, if you feel that it is too dangerous to venture outside to chop down trees (due to animals, goblin ambushes etc). If you dont want them in your fort (they will probably be trampled, but if they grow up they can block stuff for your dwarves) build floors everywhere on the soil.

That just gave me the idea of building a giant underground dome with soil collapsed from the top. Plants and underground fungi trees will grow. In here dump war animals and regular animals. Then have the main entrance go trough it slightly elevated, and when sieges happen, drop the siegers into your "jungle".  It's Jurassic park all over again!

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 12:19:21 pm »

That just gave me the idea of building a giant underground dome with soil collapsed from the top. Plants and underground fungi trees will grow. In here dump war animals and regular animals. Then have the main entrance go trough it slightly elevated, and when sieges happen, drop the siegers into your "jungle".  It's Jurassic park all over again!
'Train war raptor'
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 12:36:40 pm »

Suggestion for your next world:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:WHATHASSCIENCEDONE]
[NAME:Annihilate Any Object]
[BUILDING:<insert building here>:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[SKILL:<insert skill here;  I like ALCHEMY, but you need to enable it for your entity>]

It works beautifully, but you need to be very careful with it.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »

I just let the refuse sit around. It doesn't rot and produce miasma, so no harm done.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 12:52:01 pm »

The harm is to your fps.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:52:53 pm »

No need to collapse soil, you can muddy the ground sufficiently by flooding it with water. I'm sure you'll want water features in your jungle anyway so just make the drain hole pluggable (or don't dig it out right away) and fill 'er up.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 01:05:17 pm »

No need to collapse soil, you can muddy the ground sufficiently by flooding it with water. I'm sure you'll want water features in your jungle anyway so just make the drain hole pluggable (or don't dig it out right away) and fill 'er up.

Not dwarfy enough!

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »

Not dwarfy enough!

Also, you want the grass in there for the sake of awesome.

I don't think underground plants and trees would grow, though: because it was exposed to the outside it would be considered 'above ground' even if you built over the top.

[Edit: fixed quote tags ??? ]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:04:35 pm by Dave Mongoose »

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 02:41:18 pm »

If you don't want to build a huge magma-safe pump stack, just dig a shaft down to the magma sea and designate it as a dumping pit.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 03:03:09 pm »

Vermin remains do not rot currently, but you can use a reaction for your smelter to automatically turn vermin remains into coke. Its a very useful reaction, fuels your forges and smelters while also cleaning up your stockpiles.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 03:07:17 pm »

Also, you want the grass in there for the sake of awesome.

I don't think underground plants and trees would grow, though: because it was exposed to the outside it would be considered 'above ground' even if you built over the top.

Not dwarfy enough!

well with my fort atleast I haven't had any tower caps or fungi wood grow though the grass.

Also whaaaaaa ? I can turn the remains into coke.. would this require modding ?
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 06:26:37 pm »

Yes, but someone's already done it for you so you don't have to work it out yourself.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Reaction_examples#Cremate_Vermin_Remains
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 06:37:24 pm »

I downloaded the Crematorium Workshop (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54058.0), built the workshop, set a dwarf to full-time furnace operation, and now I don't have to think about the vermin.  Pretty easy :D

It does require you to generate a new world, though.
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 07:14:16 pm »

You can overwrite existing reactions in the save file and have it work.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3