Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Great Hall of Garbage  (Read 3000 times)

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Great Hall of Garbage
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:31:03 am »

Due to the rot bug it just keeps piling up... I am going to have to come up with a better solution then massive refuse piles
Any Suggestions ?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:35:16 am by Unshaven »
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Hall of Garbage
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:34:10 am »

Obligatory but still useful suggestion...

Magma.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:34:46 am »

I don't have any  :'(

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:35:50 am »

Dump it all under a raised bridge.

Lower bridge.

Atomsmash out of existence.

Also nice corpse collection. Goblin ambush?
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:36:23 am »

I don't have any  :'(
Keep digging until you find some.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:40:55 am »

I found a neat cavern but no magma.. do all maps have magma now ?? Ya I get alot of goblin ambushes for some reason.. if you notice the stockpile of what looks to be empty cages ... they aren't those are actually all full goblins. I am currently working the creation of a large pit to toss all the little buggers in.. thankfully I caught a colossus which I plan on releasing at the bottom to do all the dirty work.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:43:06 am by Unshaven »

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:41:50 am »

I found a neat cavern but no magma.. do all maps have magma now ?? Ya I get alot of goblin ambushes for some reason.. if you notice the stockpile of what looks to be empty cages ... they aren't those are actually all full goblins. I currently working the creation of a large pit to toss all the little buggers in.. thankfully I caught a colossus which I plan on releasing at the bottom to do all the dirty work.
Players generally find an entire sea of magma beneath the second system of caverns, which is obviously below the first system.

It's really deep down there, I suggest building a pump.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:42:42 am »

That Bridge Idea sounds like what I need .. I have a bridge already setup on the side of my fort as a back door. also I figured the dwarves would like to way to exit the fort that wasn't as smelly.

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:50:26 am »

Players generally find an entire sea of magma beneath the second system of caverns, which is obviously below the first system.

There are three cavern layers unless you change the settings in world generation. If you only saw two, it means you missed one somewhere on the way down. The Magma sea is under that.

Also, atom smashing is the right way to go until the next release. Quantum dump it all into a two tile atom smasher in it's own special little room, stick the lever in your meeting hall, and have someone pull the lever twice every couple of months.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:51:23 am »

There are three cavern layers unless you change the settings in world generation. If you only saw two, it means you missed one somewhere on the way down. The Magma sea is under that.
Oh, OK. I must've mixed up numbers.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 11:08:53 am »

Bridge lever and room construction shouldn't be a problem.. but I am not sure what you mean by Quantum dump. Do you mean create a regular garbage zone ?

Edit also.. speaking caverns I noticed since I broke into the first one that all sorts of random tower caps, Fungie wood and other things have started to grow in my fort.. in seemly random places... though more on my farming level then anywhere.. here take a peek this is directly under my Hall of Garbage. (is this new ??)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doesn't seem to grow up though flooring though.. Uh if your wondering why I have grass down and tree's down there too.. there we some pretty big collapses when I was trying to create a underground greenhouse for above ground farms... The grass can be farmed with above ground crops so I would say somewhat successful.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:18:56 am by Unshaven »

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:15:28 am »

Bridge lever and room construction shouldn't be a problem.. but I am not sure what you mean by Quantum dump. Do you mean create a regular garbage zone ?
Yes. He means that a one-tile garbage zone violates physics by being able to hold an infinite number of items without running out of space.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:16:35 am »

The way I do it is to designate the dump on the z-level above the atom smasher, and make sure there's a hole down into the smasher. Dwarves will drop them into the hole and onto the smashing ground.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 11:21:00 am »

The way I do it is to designate the dump on the z-level above the atom smasher, and make sure there's a hole down into the smasher. Dwarves will drop them into the hole and onto the smashing ground.
That sounds like a solid plan I'll try that as well.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:04 am »

Those fungi etc grow there because the ground is soil. Once you discover the caverns plants will start randomly plopping up on underground soil layers. You can use this to your advantage by digging out a large area in soil and using this for an underground forest, if you feel that it is too dangerous to venture outside to chop down trees (due to animals, goblin ambushes etc). If you dont want them in your fort (they will probably be trampled, but if they grow up they can block stuff for your dwarves) build floors everywhere on the soil.
Pages: [1] 2 3