Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to get former military dwarfs back to work? (Bug)  (Read 656 times)

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The bug is already well known, something about deleting a squad while there are still units inside. Now i managed to make them stop training but they remain idle, just drinking and eating sometimes.
One of them is a very important smith and i'd like to have him back. Is there any way to make him work again?  :(

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to get former military dwarfs back to work? (Bug)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:41:07 am »

The bug is already well known, something about deleting a squad while there are still units inside. Now i managed to make them stop training but they remain idle, just drinking and eating sometimes.
One of them is a very important smith and i'd like to have him back. Is there any way to make him work again?  :(

What happens if you put him into another squad and give him a move order? Also what happens if you dismantle the entire military, from commander on down?

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:54:43 am »

What happens if you put him into another squad and give him a move order? Also what happens if you dismantle the entire military, from commander on down?

This works fine. I have already dismantled my entire military and also tried to reinstate them.
He just refuses working. Move / kill orders work fine. Don't know if he would spar

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:59:27 am »

This works fine. I have already dismantled my entire military and also tried to reinstate them.
He just refuses working. Move / kill orders work fine. Don't know if he would spar

Tried saving and reloading?

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:38:18 am »

Tried saving and reloading?

many times. I try to get him bac kto work for days now.  :(

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:12:08 pm »

If you put him in a new squad, mobilize it, then unalert it, what happens? Does he go back to work, or just train/spar?

From what I've read on the forum, some dwarves will prefer to train/spar then work when "inactive". Sounds like your smith may be such a dwarf. But that might be overcome by doing the above, and once the unit is back to inactive, REMOVING the smith from the militia entirely.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:39:28 pm »

Maybe "destroying" your barracks?
(i.e. freeing the armor rack or weaponstand you used to make the barracks)

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:33:01 pm »

Nope, none of those ideas worked. Now that i have him back in a squad he is still doing the individual drill, even though his fellow squad members have a month off.
He is either doing nothing or sparring. What a messed up dwarf.
Too bad i can't exactly reproduce what i did to get him into this situation

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 02:15:34 pm »

Unfortunately there is an issue where dwarves sometimes are false "no job" after joining the military. Looks like its just a bug right now.

The issue is when they start doing individual training they then sometimes never take up civilian jobs ever again, no matter what you do. Even if you destroy the barracks and delete the squad, the dwarves will be listed as having no job yet will not show up in the idle dwarf count. They will take up no jobs except eating/drinking/sleeping or military related jobs.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 02:37:00 pm »

Unfortunately there is an issue where dwarves sometimes are false "no job" after joining the military. Looks like its just a bug right now.

The issue is when they start doing individual training they then sometimes never take up civilian jobs ever again, no matter what you do. Even if you destroy the barracks and delete the squad, the dwarves will be listed as having no job yet will not show up in the idle dwarf count. They will take up no jobs except eating/drinking/sleeping or military related jobs.

So there is no tweak to get them out?
I guess it's nice to have a spartan dwarf, with the only real profession ;)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 02:39:15 pm »

At the moment, no, doesn't look like there's any way to do this.

This means that if you want dwarves to train they're going to have to go all the way. Purely military dwarves. The bug only happens if you give them a barracks to spar in. You can have a militia that switches back and forth just fine so long as you don't give them a barracks, but they will be less skilled than the professional military dwarves.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 02:47:36 pm »

where will they go if they don't have barracks?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 02:54:14 pm »

Doing training in the barracks seems to trigger it. Don't have a barracks accessible to that squad and it won't happen.