Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: My Magma! something is stealing my Magma!!!  (Read 31881 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Magma! something is stealing my Magma!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 02:21:15 pm »

The magmafall. That rectangular pillar of magma on the east sits on the exact corner of the map. It seems to be static and its cause is unkonwon for me, toady might like to check on this.
That rectangular pillar of magma just looks like a magma source to me, coming in from the map edge then falling n z-levels to the sea.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:24:30 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 02:26:39 pm »

The magmafall. That rectangular pillar of magma on the east sits on the exact corner of the map. It seems to be static and its cause is unkonwon for me, toady might like to check on this.
That rectangular pillar of magma just looks like a magma source to me, coming in from the map edge then falling n z-levels to the sea.

Its not magma, it is glowing pit tiles...  At least when i was looking at the map there was a column of glowing pit tiles in that position and no magma running down the side. forgive me, for i am a moron...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:37:46 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 08:27:29 pm »

Its not magma, it is glowing pit tiles...  At least when i was looking at the map there was a column of glowing pit tiles in that position and no magma running down the side.

It is magma, I saw it as red numbers here. And glowing pits in stonesense parse to purple floor, not magma tiles.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »

DOH!  I stand corrected, loaded up the map and looked again and i see it now.  thats pretty odd how the magma seems to just appear from the edge, im guessing its a remnant of magma sea source tiles or something.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 09:16:20 pm »

Ooh Ooh! Experiment!

Copy the region, then abandon the for in the copy, THEN Embark in an area right NEXT to it and see if the Magma sea there is ALSO draining into my hell.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 09:17:43 pm »

DOH!  I stand corrected, loaded up the map and looked again and i see it now.  thats pretty odd how the magma seems to just appear from the edge, im guessing its a remnant of magma sea source tiles or something.

Can you check with the "k" button if the uppermost tile of the magma pillar is listed as magma 1/7 or magma flow? Magma flow is the magma source, while 1/7 means it is just static magma that somehow stopped flowing. I don't have the save with me anymore.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »

I just realized there was some foreshadowing in your original post ;)

What the hell be going on?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 09:38:19 pm »

How bizarre... The column appears to be frozen magma, just sitting there not falling, but about 3 levels from the bottom magma is appearing and flowing down.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 05:06:08 pm »

Addtional question...

SO I want to save some magma into a special pit before it all flows away.. Given that the new Magma columns are perfectly 'smooth' as in each cross section is exactly the same... How can I dig down a couple levels, a safely breach  the magma pipe without sacrificing a Dwarf?

Before in the old game, I could just look for a section where there was stone above magma, and then channel it out, Now there is no place where I can dig.. Any ideas?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »

Dwarves are usually fast enough to get out of the way of the glowing orange stuff when you dig in from the side.  I've dug out a couple by now and the only accident was a burned finger.  Be sure to have an easy way out of the situation handy for them to take!

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2010, 05:22:50 pm »

Easy. Dig out the pit underneath, then punch the hole in the top with a cave-in of constructed supports. No dwarf need be anywhere near it!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2010, 05:52:40 pm »

Easy. Dig out the pit underneath, then punch the hole in the top with a cave-in of constructed supports. No dwarf need be anywhere near it!
Works great for pools I'm sure.  A magma pipe has no bottom to cave in...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2010, 07:14:57 pm »

Make sure there is plenty of room to run away to, use an agile dwarf, and be prepared for injury. Probably won't kill them.

And dump water on the top of the pipe to seal it. Just in case.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »

Sorry about that.  Yeah, just going to have to try to run for it...

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 10:38:30 am »

UPDATE!!!

Well It finally happened...

The lower area of Magma drained enough for there to be a "Gap" in where it was draining from and down into Hell. I hadn't thought it would happen but: "You have entered into a Vortex of horror and Terror!!!"

And next thing I know UP come the Demons and down goes the fort! 
Is that the end of it? Oh hell no...

I am going back to the save I uploaded which is quite a few years back and starting a new project.

I shall... PAVE OVER THE MAGMA SEA!!!

Lets see the clowns break through THAT!
MWA HA HA!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5