Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Time-Efficient way to clean out goblin cages? NO MILITARY  (Read 2732 times)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time-Efficient way to clean out goblin cages? NO MILITARY
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »

Well this plan is a failure ...

Constructing cages literally directly next to the Pit, selecting the goblin for dumping ... he escaped and killed two legendary dwarves on his way out.

Try not doing it wrong. Here's how to do it correctly since you seem incapable of reading any of the links or posts that explain how:

0. designate a garbage dump zone
0. designate an animal stockpile
1. put goblin cages in a stockpile
2. d->b->c all the goblin cages
3. d->b->d all the goblin cages
4. k->d each individual goblin cage
5. wait for dwarves to strip all the equipment out
6. do whatever you want with unarmed, unarmored, caged goblins

Well as before, the disarming process didn't seem to work.  Maybe a glitch.  But, thanks.  Adding unpleasantness to the same advice that didn't work before usually fixes the problem.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 11:09:35 pm »

Well as before, the disarming process didn't seem to work.
Unforbid their weaps from stock screen. [z] - stock - weapons, just unforbid everything.

ililiilliillliii

• Bay Watcher
  • God bless you, astronaut cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:51 am »

I used to have your exact same problem, I've found a way that works perfectly for me.

I think the problem is that when one dwarf pulling a prisoner along sees a goblin nearby (even if that goblin is a prisoner being pulled along as well), that dwarf will panic and run off, letting his goblin loose.  If you make sure only one dwarf is working the pitting job at a time, you can avoid that problem.

First, you figure out how you'll dispose of your goblins (drowning, drop from 20 z tower, into spike pit room, whatever).  Whatever method of execution you have, just build a room a z level above it with a hole into the chamber, where you can drop goblins in.

Second, build and designate your goblin cage stockpile (accepting only goblins) nearby. 

Third, (the most important part) is to build doors so you can let only the first dwarf who responds to your pit order in, and then lock the rest of the doors so no more dwarves can come in and do the pitting jobs.  Then only 1 dwarf is moving goblins around, and so the panic and loose goblins won't occur.

It seems to work fine for me, I haven't had any problems with loose goblins since.  I myself drop goblins into a 2x2 room, let them wait for a few days, then turn on the magma pump.

Also, the 'disarming' process has always worked perfectly for me.  Just mass dump all the goblin cages you have, wait for everything to get dumped, then reclaim everything in the pile. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:39:25 am by ililiilliillliii »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 12:44:30 am »

You could try releasing the goblins via levers within a deadly labyrinth, open at the top for dwarven viewing pleasure.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

See the goblin Urzul Snoraks make his attempt at the Labyrinth of Lacerating!
Will he succumb to madness? Stumble into traps? Be mauled by Maimrushes the Cave Crocodile?
Tickets go on sale now at all Ticketmaster locations!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »

yeah, and you don't even need to dump his weapons if you got a glass roof!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 02:16:41 pm »

designate the pit zone over open space.  Build the cage next to the open space.  Check the goblin's name.  Go to the pit.  Select the goblin for pitting.  Don't need to bother with disarming him.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 [2]