Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why no neutral/friendly creatures in the Underdark?  (Read 3689 times)

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why no neutral/friendly creatures in the Underdark?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 10:59:14 am »

Perhaps this is an anomaly but...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 11:02:55 am »

Looks like your fortress be bringing in da ladies!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 11:04:18 am »

I think it is because they are named, not because of gender.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 11:47:07 am »

Gorlaks are benign, but they only show up in good lands.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 01:35:40 pm »

Underdark?

*shuffles off to make drow mod*
Are you trying to make the elves cool/evil?
I've been picturing the drow to basically just be elves that realized what elves were. Without a good framework for the world and realizing that you're not as special as you've been told they act just like humans in the same situation. Some fantasy throws in some quirks to go along with that but really they just have enough magic conductivity to reflect their way of thought physically.

Non-crap elves ultimately don't belong to either group and, gasp, actually strove to make something of themselves while still having good reasons to do so instead of just the desperation born of the possibility that they could be nobodies.

Really though it would liven things up a lot having people that travel around the caverns instead of just wild animals migrating about and the rare much wilder animal also just wandering around looking for things to bring ruin unto. Plus it would give me good reason to not just wall myself in on the cavern layers.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »

Underdark?

*shuffles off to make drow mod*
Are you trying to make the elves cool/evil?
I've been picturing the drow to basically just be elves that realized what elves were. Without a good framework for the world and realizing that you're not as special as you've been told they act just like humans in the same situation. Some fantasy throws in some quirks to go along with that but really they just have enough magic conductivity to reflect their way of thought physically.

Non-crap elves ultimately don't belong to either group and, gasp, actually strove to make something of themselves while still having good reasons to do so instead of just the desperation born of the possibility that they could be nobodies.

Really though it would liven things up a lot having people that travel around the caverns instead of just wild animals migrating about and the rare much wilder animal also just wandering around looking for things to bring ruin unto. Plus it would give me good reason to not just wall myself in on the cavern layers.
So, dig deep enough, find elves that don't suck...

More motivation to dig dig dig dig.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 02:34:25 pm »

I want to see Dwarven adventurers come into the underground and waste stuff and then have a big party in my main hall before they head off. Everyone would get like +100 happy points for having met someone so awesome.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 02:42:05 pm »

If an underground civ member kills a Forgotten Beast, they become friendly. It's a bug feature. They will also slaughter their former civilization because their allegiance is switched. So by the time you arrive on the scene, the civilization will probably be dead either from FBs or from the FB killers who become friendlies.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 03:23:08 pm »

I find the best diplomacy tactic is to stymie their leaders and pave the caverns with liquid obsidian.
igless

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »

I suspect the shape of the underground civs' entity entry is to blame for their hostility.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In adventure mode, goblins and kobolds are often friendly too, but that doesn't mean your dwarves will get along with them in fortress mode.  If it's not that, it may be that each [LAYER_LINKED] entity is automatically hostile to dwarves, making the ethics irrelevant to their stance.

*heads to laboratory in the name of SCIENCE*

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 04:57:47 pm »

I thought the Plump Helmet Men were neutral?
I haven't found any so far so I wasn't sure.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 05:38:19 pm »

I thought the Plump Helmet Men were neutral?
I haven't found any so far so I wasn't sure.
They are in adventure mode.

Cave blobs are fairly neutral. Some wandered into my map and haven't moved an inch, so they obviously aren't trying to go and kill my dwarves.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »

I want to see Dwarven adventurers come into the underground and waste stuff and then have a big party in my main hall before they head off. Everyone would get like +100 happy points for having met someone so awesome.

If the NPC adventurers are anything like real ones, everyone would get like +100 'strangled to death with their own thongs and having their heart pierced by their shards of rib broken by the impact of their children's heads' points for having met someone so psychotic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 06:45:55 pm »

Plump Helmet men don't form camps and as far as I recall they show up as wild animals in fortress.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 07:40:37 pm »

Plump Helmet men don't form camps and as far as I recall they show up as wild animals in fortress.

That's because Plump Helmet men aren't actually considered "Beastmen".
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3