Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why no neutral/friendly creatures in the Underdark?  (Read 3686 times)

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why no neutral/friendly creatures in the Underdark?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 10:07:19 pm »

Plump Helmet men don't form camps and as far as I recall they show up as wild animals in fortress.

Meaning? They will attack dwarves who are nearby but not go out of their way to attack anyone?
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »

In my experience, Plump Helmet Men don't attack anyone at all. Your dwarfs will flee in terror when they see one, but the PHMs aren't dangerous. I slaughter them just to avoid the Urist McScaredypants cancels job: Interrupted by Plump Helmet Man spam.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 10:51:37 pm »

Gorlaks are benign, but they only show up in good lands.

Gorlaks are supposed to be like underground guides, aren't they? I thought I read something about that... Maybe I am going crazy.

Either way, they don't pose much problem. They just wander about, and wander away. My experience is that they don't attack, and they don't attack back.

I can imagine these wandering underground merchants, with a backpack filled with gems, jewels and trinkets they they have found or made on long cavern trails. They only bring what they can carry, or stuff on a tamed elk-bird.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 01:53:45 am »

Underdark?

*shuffles off to make drow mod*
Are you trying to make the elves cool/evil?

Elves =/= drow. Drow are emo elves. This combination is so horrible it bends in on itself and becomes awesome.

PHYSICS!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 02:17:21 am »

Having the underground civs work the same as above ground ones would be a huge improvement, especially if they can then form cities and such underground, using tunnels and paved roads through the caverns for you to follow throughout your adventures, and trading with your fortress.. The tribes shouldn't disappear completely though, just be under some sort of diplomacy rules so it's not a guarantee that they'll be hostile.

All the stuff that's apparently going to happen in the future. Makes you wish you had a time machine.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:00 am »

Plump Helmet men don't form camps and as far as I recall they show up as wild animals in fortress.

Meaning? They will attack dwarves who are nearby but not go out of their way to attack anyone?
If that is how hoary marmots behave then yes.

They don't though. Pretty docile and I doubt they are even very capable in fights.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 12:12:53 pm »

Underdark?

*shuffles off to make drow mod*
Are you trying to make the elves cool/evil?

Elves =/= drow. Drow are emo elves. This combination is so horrible it bends in on itself and becomes awesome.

PHYSICS!

Drizzt's behavior suddenly makes sense when you realize he's a teenager in drow years.

Worse were all the matriarchal women who couldn't wait to get themselves some adventurer wang.

More on topic:
It would be nice if there was a underground civ that brought you underground animals. Though I think that currently the elves bring too many so they'd be a bad example. How cool is a giant eagle if you don't have to work for it? Then again this could also be fixed by making a lot more animals available.
Pages: 1 2 [3]