Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Beasts are awesome. I hate beasts.  (Read 2843 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beasts are awesome. I hate beasts.
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:57 am »

Mod it a brain. Spear it in the brain/ head it has, and your done.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 12:29:06 pm »

...I haven't tried, can you mod forgotten beasts in the active world's RAWs? Do they even turn up?

If so, use black mage's suggestion and commit the closest you'll be getting to deicide in this game.

edit: in this version of the game.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 02:11:22 pm »

Pretty sure you can't mod them. I savescummed and rolled back to right after the blob got in the fort to try it since when it originally occurred to me it was already way too late, walling 'em in while your military keeps 'em distracted and stuck in place with a kamikaze attack works pretty good under certain conditions. You've pretty much gotta have the only access to the fort be behind lockable doors, otherwise the activity around wall construction and dwarves being dwarves just means they're baiting the monster right past your construction site. Helps if the monster's attacks kinda suck too of course.

Urist McSwordsdwarf: There is nothing I cannot cleave!

One Steel Sword and a water blob later...

Urist McSwordsdwarf has been struck down.

And that is why I'm sticking to 40d until the bug fixes for 2010 are out.

I dunno man, when was the last version that didn't have stuff you really didn't want your dwarves going out and fighting? Unkillable, building-destroying, trap-avoiding, AND flying is pretty brutal and seriously limits how much you can explore the new underground without everyone dying (never mind intangible like the fog monsters oh god I didn't even know there were fog monsters before reading it here), but it doesn't make things any worse than the older version where you didn't have anything to explore in the first place. Until you get a Titan like that, I guess, then you're fucked.

One thing that's pretty annoying I gotta admit, is how if there's any entry point to your fort at all they start at the edge of your map and make a beeline right for it. Goblins and stuff are pretty fun because they have to wander around exploring and go where they can see to go, you can play around with them and do all kinds of stuff, some giant frog thing that effortlessly navigates your elaborate trap maze or whatever and kicks down your front door pretty much just sucks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 01:17:20 am »

I find it humorous that the last forgotten beast to attack my fortress had gas with a numbing effect, meaning dwarves didn't feel the pain of it's constant nibbling and pass out. It was also a sauropod, so it was entirely kill able, just forgot to find an arsenal dwarf (read: cannot assign one because the nobles screen is blank.) so they had to wrestle it to death. It was eventually strangled after ~10 minutes of running around the fortress being chased by a crew of half naked midgets wanting to wrestle it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 06:42:37 am »

Urist McDiplomat: All we ask is a tribute of quadratics and primitive functions.

Iton McKickass: Quadratics and primitive functions? Well you'll find plenty in there.
*Throws Urist a maths textbook*
*Urist skims through the textbook*

Urist McDiplomat: This is madness!

Iton McKickass: Madness? MADNESS! This...Makes you...SMARTER!
*Kicks the textbook into Urists chest, throwing him back into the pit of death*
+1 rep for this awesome quote.
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 08:55:14 am »

Either kill it with a cave-in or trap it with a cave-in. The latter is preferable. Then you can throw it into a deep arena and chuck 'friends' in for it to play with.
Pages: 1 2 [3]