Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26459 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Temporal Anomaly: The deadiest baker in the multiverse
« Reply #375 on: May 21, 2010, 04:44:41 pm »

"Oh, it's quite all right. Please, do come in." You say, trying to be cordial as you ignore the bleeding.

"Thank you," The man replies, ducking down through the door way and stepping in, "Here's your hand and your firearm back"

You reattach your hand and close the door but keep your weapon out just in case. The man steps into the room and sits down on a vacant steel chair, which creaks and distorts beneath him.

"I suppose you're curious as to who I am." The man said, resting his hands in his lap and continuing to smile, though somewhat apologetically. "Lets just say that I'm a problem solver and right now, my friend, you are the problem. You've made quite a few of my higher ups rather displeased, as anomalies like you always do, and I'm afraid they've decided to have you dealt with. It was for that reason that myself and my partner, apprentice really, were dispatched here. I believe you may have already encountered her below. I'll cut to the chase, I would very much appreciate it if you would stop dilly dallying and go confront her. She's really quite anxious to prove herself and I don't doubt that she'll find you eventually, but to be honest I'm getting a bit tired of waiting." The man shook his head plaintively "I'm afraid if you don't I may have to kill you myself simply to ease my boredom."

The man looks at you, as though waiting for a response.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:47:39 pm by piecewise »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 21, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »

>Gesture at the god of logic "Have you met my new friend? He's the one true omni-potent overlord of the universe."

(Conversation for later, for others to play with while I'm gone) "You seem gifted in poly-phonetics. Did you practice that, or did it come naturally? It sure took a long time for those monks to get it down."

"Seems kind of wasteful to get rid of me, since I could be of a lot of help to our glorious company, though if you insist, I'll play with your apprentice."
(I'll be gone till this time tomorrow for the next couple of days)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #377 on: May 21, 2010, 08:27:36 pm »

>Gesture at the god of logic "Have you met my new friend? He's the one true omni-potent overlord of the universe."

(Conversation for later, for others to play with while I'm gone) "You seem gifted in poly-phonetics. Did you practice that, or did it come naturally? It sure took a long time for those monks to get it down."

"Seems kind of wasteful to get rid of me, since I could be of a lot of help to our glorious company, though if you insist, I'll play with your apprentice."
(I'll be gone till this time tomorrow for the next couple of days)

I don't think you'll have to worry much, this thread is rather slow. Do try and drop by when you can though, You're one of my 2-3 regulars.

Not knowing what to say you instead gesture toward the computer screen and ask "Have you met my new friend? He's the one true omni-potent overlord of the universe."

The man stares at you for a moment, seemingly perplex though his face remains an immobile smiling mask, before turning to look at the screen.

"Ah, yes, APOTHEOSIS. Of course we've met, in fact they," the man taps the side of his head with his finger, "are always with me. It is a requirement for WFE employees."

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 21, 2010, 08:33:52 pm »

Well that's not good, although I wonder why I didn't get one. Must be a future thing.

Is this a Primer (the movie) style stable time loop, with alternate timelines or one big mash-up timeline? I may have missed that but it'd be cool to have that readdressed.

>"Would you like to sit and chat, or shall I be heading off to my utter doom now?"
While talking to AJ:

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #379 on: May 21, 2010, 08:49:03 pm »

Well that's not good, although I wonder why I didn't get one. Must be a future thing.

Is this a Primer (the movie) style stable time loop, with alternate timelines or one big mash-up timeline? I may have missed that but it'd be cool to have that readdressed.

>"Would you like to sit and chat, or shall I be heading off to my utter doom now?"
How time works is still unknown to you and you may never really figure it out. Time travel is confusing.

"Would you like to sit and chat, or shall I be heading off to my utter doom now?" you ask.

"I wouldn't call it utter doom, just highly probable doom. I'll give you my word that if you do manage to be victorious I will report you as dead, which should keep the kill teams off you for a while, though I can't say how long. If you would like to talk a bit more before the duel then I have no objections. I was actually curious as to what it is you've done that has my employers so annoyed. "

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2010, 11:52:29 pm »

> "Well, I think I can answer that," as you stand up to leave, "a WFE from another timeline sent me back in time on business, using prototype technology. Things got more interesting from then on...and before, now. Good day." Then leave the room in search of the other assassin. Use scouts.

I suggest we taken a new form more suited to "Cat and Mouse". Preferably one that will make us the cat of the metaphor.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 21, 2010, 11:57:33 pm »

>Incidentally, if I win, will you tell me exactly what I've done to warrant the company's interest?

Add this to what is briefly said before leaving.

I suggest we also modify our Examiners for stealth. We should also be able to modify them to give off pheromones only we can detect if they spot the enemy, allowing us to know the presence of our hunter nearly instantaneously.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:05:09 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #382 on: May 22, 2010, 01:04:45 am »

""Well, I think I can answer that," you say as you stand up to leave, "a WFE from another timeline sent me back in time on business, using prototype technology. Things got more interesting from then on...and before, now. Good day." you begin to walk away but turn back for a moment and ask "Incidentally, if I win, will you tell me exactly what I've done to warrant the company's interest?"

"I'll tell you what I know" The man says, his ever present smile widening.

With that you step out of the room and release the Examiners.

Any ideas as to where to look or what to do?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 22, 2010, 03:51:15 am »

People have a habit of inserting things into us without us realizing it till it happened.

Are they just that quick, or are we getting bogged down from all the viscumancy?
Anyway, the examiners could certainly be used to scour fairly decent amounts of area.
While talking to AJ:

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #384 on: May 22, 2010, 04:00:57 am »

People have a habit of inserting things into us without us realizing it till it happened.

Are they just that quick, or are we getting bogged down from all the viscumancy?
Anyway, the examiners could certainly be used to scour fairly decent amounts of area.
Besides memories being inserted, I can't remember anything else. Things have been cut off though.

You send the examiners off in different directions, waiting patiently for their return. 6 return and signal all clear, the 7th, who you sent down a corridor to the left, never returns.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:24:23 pm by piecewise »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 22, 2010, 04:42:15 pm »

Besides memories being inserted, I can't remember anything else. Things have been cut off though.

You send the examiners off in different directions, waiting patiently for their return. 6 return and signal all clear, the 7th, who you sent down a corridor left, to the never returns.

Are they really that obvious? Re-engineer our remaining Examiners to be much smaller and numerous, with only enough capacity to record what they see to their brains. When they return, hopefully uninjured, we can directly assimilate that which they saw.

Also, make them as transparent and insubstantial as possible so that it becomes even more difficult to detect them.

Meanwhile, cautiously proceed down the corridor to the left.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #386 on: May 22, 2010, 05:36:28 pm »

You gather your remaining examiners and split them apart, altering their shape and size till they are little more then fly sized eyeballs with wings. You release them and send them down the left corridor in a swarm, their nearly inaudible clicking guiding the way. You round a corner and are presented with a tunnel something like a mile long and ending in the entrance to a room filled with complex mechanical devices that you can't quite make out. Your examiners continue down the hall until they are suddenly caught in a jet of flame which issues from a small device on the wall. As the charred remains of the examiners fall to the ground the flame machine detaches itself from the wall and skitters across the ground on a half dozen spider like legs. As it disappears into the mechanism room beyond the hall you hear the click of a rifle.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 22, 2010, 06:42:52 pm »

By things being placed into us, I meant bullets. We seem to have about a five second delay time before we're shot or if something gets significantly hurt.

>Did we hear the click issue from inside the room or from the hall?

>Get out of an area with a direct line of fire. If we have the ability, I'd say we should develop a second set of fine-tuned hearing organs or sensitive vibration organs so we can pinpoint where sounds come from.

While talking to AJ:

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #388 on: May 22, 2010, 07:05:01 pm »

By things being placed into us, I meant bullets. We seem to have about a five second delay time before we're shot or if something gets significantly hurt.

>Did we hear the click issue from inside the room or from the hall?

>Get out of an area with a direct line of fire. If we have the ability, I'd say we should develop a second set of fine-tuned hearing organs or sensitive vibration organs so we can pinpoint where sounds come from.
Your ears are already superhuman, but the ability to pinpoint vibrations exactly is something you could add, assuming you want to use the biomass to do so. Right now you can't really tell where the click came from exactly, only that it's down the hall, probably in the room beyond it.
You dive back around the corner and wait for several seconds but nothing happens. You cautiously wave your hand past the edge of the wall, letting it linger for several seconds before pulling it back. Still nothing happens. 

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 22, 2010, 08:47:34 pm »

Biomass check...we haven't eaten much lately and we've taken a fair amount of damage, let's grab something to eat before an exhausting battle

>Retrace route, if possible
While talking to AJ:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40