Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26504 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Temporal Anomaly: Deus Ex Machina with a side of apathy
« Reply #360 on: May 20, 2010, 09:13:35 pm »

I have a vision of giving our character a state similar to those of Steven Brust's gods. They may be defined as a being "capable of existing in more than one place at the same time", while the rest of their abilities come from skill, external power sources, and alliances. One interesting effect of this property is that when the god(dess) is speaking to a group of characters, it can say something different to each of them. Vlad says (I can't remember exact phrase) ~"that he's seen people who sound crazy, but none before that make everyone else around them sound crazy!" From the fact that each person responds to their own personal conversation. A far more valuable part of this property is that a god will consider dying "inconvenient" as that's one less universe they can manifest in.
 It's an idea for taking the steps between godhood (like the computer) and where we are now. I was hoping this could be done by encouraging the subconscious parts of our character's mind to mull over these memories so we can learn about them without activating them.

The problem with that is, how do you tell the character to think of something subconsciously? It is, for all intents and purposes, you, so it can only really do what you yourself are capable of (except the whole superpower thing obviously). Now, if you were to find a clever way around that, like hypnosis or something similar, then maybe you might be able to access them without the normal consequences. However you must remember that what these things are exactly is enigmatic, there is always the chance that they trigger something odd.

As you stand, contemplating your next move, you hear what sounds like a distant clicking noise; 5 sharp metallic clicks a pause and then 5 more over and over.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 20, 2010, 09:25:56 pm »

So our character has never heard of self hypnosis or has any practice of it? (I can do something he can't.) Hm, we need to find a book on that; an online book.

> Go find wristwatch at a sprint.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #362 on: May 20, 2010, 09:34:42 pm »

So our character has never heard of self hypnosis or has any practice of it? (I can do something he can't.) Hm, we need to find a book on that; an online book.

> Go find wristwatch at a sprint.

Room is self contained, only door out is the one you walked in through. That and you have no idea where the medical bay is, which is the only source of the wristpads that you know of. 

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2010, 02:17:34 am »

My guess? Someone's going to shoot the door.

The terminal in the plasma processing room could probably direct us to a medical lab if we got there and asked it. Of course, that'd create another easily followed line in the floor, which is quite possibly how whoever's out there found us this time. :P

And I'd really like to get that wrist pad before we start experimenting with the random time powers.

>Duck.
>Huddle in corner, so that if something blasts through the door, you're not directly in its way.
>Ready weapon. We still got a weapon, right?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #364 on: May 21, 2010, 10:43:45 am »

You throw yourself into the corner and draw your weapon, pointing it squarely at the door. For what seems like several minutes the clicking continues, slowly growing louder, until its right outside the door. After a moment of silence someone knocks on the door.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2010, 11:06:41 am »

You know, in hindsight, it might have been a good idea to leave a few examiners on the other side. Then we would know whether it's a medical bot sent by APOTHEOSIS or a murder bot here to murder us. It did bother to knock. At least it's a polite murder bot. ._.

>Answer "Who's there?"

>Ask APOTHEOSIS whether opening the door will directly result in your death

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #366 on: May 21, 2010, 11:19:33 am »

You yell for the person knocking to identify themselves but are only answered with another series of knocks. You sneak over to the computer terminal and ask

"Will opening the door directly result in my death?"

DEPENDS ON HOW DIRECT YOU WANT TO BE

GOING OUTSIDE ALWAYS RAISES THE CHANCES OF YOUR HORRIBLE DEMISE

MY ADVICE IS TO JUST OPEN THE DOOR

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 21, 2010, 11:31:54 am »

enter spam into the APOTHESIS terminal for a few minutes, as anoying as posible.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 21, 2010, 11:48:25 am »

Don't do that. Instead,

>Open door. And hope it's not a murderbot.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #369 on: May 21, 2010, 12:08:13 pm »

You slowly walk to the door and after a moment's hesitation move the chair and pull the door open. Outside is a man, nearly eight feet tall, dressed in what appears to be some sort of leather armor which was secured with tightly fitting belts on his arms, legs and torso. Over the blackened leather was a crisp, white, loose fitting full body apron. The man smiles, his skin is too tight on his face and the shape under it seems slightly off, too sharp and regular to be a normal skull; you can tell even from the slight smile that he has multiple rows of teeth.

"Hello" The man says, his voice multi-toned, it's dozen different octaves not quite matching up perfectly.

"I believe you're the one we were sent here to kill." 

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 21, 2010, 12:26:52 pm »

>use gun on man

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #371 on: May 21, 2010, 12:36:49 pm »

You raise your gun, preparing to fire, when you suddenly realize you're not holding the gun anymore. The reason you're not holding the gun seems to be that your hand has been severed at the wrist. The man is now holding the gun and your hand, still clutching the grip, out in front of you.

"Sorry about that, but I can't very well talk to you if you're shooting at me.Guns make a terrible racket." The man says, his smile unwavering.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:46:01 pm by piecewise »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Anomaly: The deadiest baker in the multiverse
« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2010, 01:53:30 pm »

I sense imminent death and/or more dismemberment.
Maybe we should just talk to him.

The Apothesis reminds me of a combination of Dave and the Trolls from MSPA.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2010, 01:58:57 pm »

I sense imminent death and/or more dismemberment.
Maybe we should just talk to him.

The Apothesis reminds me of a combination of Dave and the Trolls from MSPA.
What would you like to say? Remember, how you phrase things matters.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2010, 04:07:12 pm »

Okay. So. He says he was sent to kill us, and then, rather than kill us, he steals our hand without us noticing. Thus demonstrating that he COULD kill us if he felt like it. I hate it when people do that. ::)

I suggest behaving like there is nothing strange about this situation.
>"Oh, it's quite all right. Please, do come in."
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40