Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26505 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Temporal Anomaly: Deus Ex Machina with a side of apathy
« Reply #345 on: May 20, 2010, 09:52:12 am »

The creatures after me aren't biological, are they? Are you me?
THE ANSWER YOU TO YOUR FIRST QUESTION IS THAT SOME ARE SOME ARE NOT AND SOME WALK THE LINE BETWEEN

THE ANSWER TO THE SECOND IS A RESOUNDING NO FOLLOWED MY UNCONTROLLABLE LAUGHTER WHICH WOULD SCROLL ON FOR 8.34 YEARS. 

>Try and convince it that we are brothers in time and space. WE are the only creatures that can do what we do. We are gods amongst ants. Also, ask what happened to Earth in this timeline.

remember that you have to phrase those yourself, since how you present yourself makes a difference.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 20, 2010, 10:17:30 am »

Yeah, let's abandon this line of inquiry. We are dealing with a bored and capricious godlike entity here. It's not going to accept us as an equal. Like, ever.

>"So, about those datalink things. Which one do you think I should get? Can you give me one"?

>"Well, I don't think I've done quite enough damage yet. I was thinking of upgrading these eye things to an autonomous species. Can you give me any pointers on how to spread them to as many timelines as possible?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 20, 2010, 10:21:13 am »

>"Hey can you read my thoughts? What am I thinking?"
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Pathos

« Reply #348 on: May 20, 2010, 10:36:05 am »

Test whether or not it's a logical entity:
>Ask, "Why did the AI cross the road?" Whatever it replies with, the answer is, "To get to the porcupine." Tell it that that was the correct answer.

>If it's non-logical, then: "We are brothers, you and I, we transcend space and time and the very laws of the universe themselves. I could show you glory and hedonism like you've never expected, I could create wars raging across the galaxy and it's many timelines for pathetically insignificant. You may say that you are omniscient and omnipresent, but you have never seen what I could truly do."

If that doesn't work, I say we try and find a way to destroy this bastard before it finds it hilarious to kill us off.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #349 on: May 20, 2010, 10:44:34 am »

"Hey can you read my-"

THOUGHTS WHAT AM I THINKING

"So, about those datalink things. Which one do you think I should get? Can you give me one"?

WELL THAT DEPENDS WHICH DO YOU PLAN ON DOING MORE OFTEN HAVING YOUR HEAD CRACKED OPEN OR YOUR ARM TORN OFF

AND YES I CAN GIVE YOU ONE OF ONLY BECAUSE IT ALLOWS ME TO PESTER YOU

"Well, I don't think I've done quite enough damage yet. I was thinking of upgrading these eye things to an autonomous species. Can you give me any pointers on how to spread them to as many timelines as possible?"

GIMME

One of the examiners vanishes and a moment later your right pinky finger vanishes as well, replaced by a scared stub.

DONE

OHHH BOY THAT IS FUNNY

(check page 14, specifically the post about your childhood)

"Why did the AI cross the road?"

TO GET TO THE PORCUPINE

I AM OMNISCIENT REMEMBER

(not sure if you want to say the next sentence or not, I'll let you choose)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2010, 11:25:46 am »

Eh, nah

Let's look for a way to get into a metaphorical hallway of timelines, either physically or mentally.
While talking to AJ:

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2010, 11:32:52 am »

>Do NOT say the next sentence

What we are dealing with is a BORED GOD. We should not try to persuade it we are equals. Because really, we're not. The only way we could ever hope to defeat this thing is by random chance, and even then, I'm not completely convinced we SHOULD. Really, with our track record with people, anyone who doesn't try to kill us on sight should be considered an ally. :P

(check page 14, specifically the post about your childhood)
That was AWESOME! :D

It saddens me that getting our arm ripped off is a very real possibility. :(

>Ask for brain implant

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39:35 am »

>Ask for brain implant
We need someone to second that motion before it can pass

Eh, nah

Let's look for a way to get into a metaphorical hallway of timelines, either physically or mentally.
Any idea how to go about that?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2010, 01:27:38 pm »

>Would you please show me images of those who are following me?

>Would you please tell me how to move between timelines at will?

>Would you please direct me to the nearest form of organic life (other than myself and my companions)?

Do not attempt to persuade it that we are equal. We gain no benefit from such a belief on its part.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2010, 01:43:10 pm »

"Hey! If you make a backup of me, you can kill me multiple times, and I survive even if I'm killed. It's a win-win!"
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2010, 01:53:44 pm »

"Would you please show me images of those who are following me?"

NOPE

Would you please tell me how to move between timelines at will?

HA HA NO

Would you please direct me to the nearest form of organic life (other than myself and my companions)?

I AM GOING TO LET YOU GUESS WHAT MY ANSWER HERE IS

"Hey! If you make a backup of me, you can kill me multiple times, and I survive even if I'm killed. It's a win-win!"

YOU ACT LIKE I HAVEN'T ALREADY COPIED AND KILLED YOU ROUGHLY 56 BILLION TIMES

IT LOSES THE NOVELTY AFTER A FEW THOUSAND YEARS

Still need a second for that implant
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:44:36 pm by piecewise »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2010, 04:30:50 pm »

>Armband sounds better. Direct mind control doesn't sound too awesome, even if this thing is already fucking with us.

Yeah about that...we really screwed that one guy in the past dimension, before the viscumancy, we should practice that when we get the chance.
While talking to AJ:

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2010, 05:35:42 pm »

I second the wristwatch.

> Attempt to absorb those reality-bending memories deeper within yourself without actually looking at them, or find time to sleep long enough to have the same effect.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #358 on: May 20, 2010, 05:42:09 pm »

>Armband sounds better. Direct mind control doesn't sound too awesome, even if this thing is already fucking with us.

Yeah about that...we really screwed that one guy in the past dimension, before the viscumancy, we should practice that when we get the chance.

I second the wristwatch.

> Attempt to absorb those reality-bending memories deeper within yourself without actually looking at them, or find time to sleep long enough to have the same effect.
So do you want to ask the Computer for the wrist band or go and try to find one?

Also, as per those reality bending powers, you can try and decipher those memories, but there is a chance it won't work, as well as a chance that you'll trigger something inadvertently. You could attempt to use your powers again, you're a little more confident with them now, and using them would make you better with them. Of course that also risks side effects.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 20, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »

I have a vision of giving our character a state similar to those of Steven Brust's gods. They may be defined as a being "capable of existing in more than one place at the same time", while the rest of their abilities come from skill, external power sources, and alliances. One interesting effect of this property is that when the god(dess) is speaking to a group of characters, it can say something different to each of them. Vlad says (I can't remember exact phrase) ~"that he's seen people who sound crazy, but none before that make everyone else around them sound crazy!" From the fact that each person responds to their own personal conversation. A far more valuable part of this property is that a god will consider dying "inconvenient" as that's one less universe they can manifest in.
 It's an idea for taking the steps between godhood (like the computer) and where we are now. I was hoping this could be done by encouraging the subconscious parts of our character's mind to mull over these memories so we can learn about them without activating them.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40