Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26462 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Anomaly: Are heads supposed to explode like that?
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2010, 06:30:23 pm »

I kind of don't want to abuse the fleshy system too much, since it's been claimed to be a surprisingly rare roll, and possibly an early story game breaker. Although ultimately it's up to the masses, I may use it sparingly and not have to rely on it. Anyway, it could also go away/not have ever happened later on, so keeping yourself on your toes and not thinking of technical biology and physics may be a good thing to keep in practice
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2010, 06:37:10 pm »

I kind of don't want to abuse the fleshy system too much, since it's been claimed to be a surprisingly rare roll, and possibly an early story game breaker. Although ultimately it's up to the masses, I may use it sparingly and not have to rely on it. Anyway, it could also go away/not have ever happened later on, so keeping yourself on your toes and not thinking of technical biology and physics may be a good thing to keep in practice
Good points. But don't worry about difficulty, if things start getting too easy I'll just ramp it up. Fleshy magic is by no means a game breaker, just a game changer.

Pathos

« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2010, 06:41:35 pm »

>Edit our bodies MINORLY to become close to superhuman without looking like it. We don't want others to notice us as being more than human, especially in such a xenophobic and violent world, otherwise we might have angry crowds hunting us down. So, tone and increase muscle mass to weightlifter level without going bodybuilder, make our lungs more efficient (I'd suggest third lung) etc etc. I'd suggest we consider the Space Marine implants for what would be useful.
>The Omophagea would probably be the most useful at this point:- "Phase 8: This implant allows a Space Marine to 'learn by eating'. It is situated in the spinal cord but is actually part of the brain. Four nerve bundles are implanted connecting the spine and the stomach wall. Able to 'read' or absorb genetic material consumed by the marine, the omophagea transmits the gained information to the Marine's brain as a set of memories or experiences. It is the presence of this organ which has lead to the various flesh-eating and blood-drinking rituals for which the Astartes are famous, as well as giving names to chapters such as the Blood Drinkers and Flesh Tearers. Over time, mutations in this implant have given some chapters unnatural craving for blood or flesh.1 "

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2010, 06:54:02 pm »

Man that would be like a bad acid trip (no pun intended) when your stomach is dissolving those memories into a convoluted mesh of craziness, but I like the idea on premise
While talking to AJ:

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2010, 07:35:33 pm »

Head exploding, minor but still helpful body alterations, flying mouse. Got it

Seeing that your attempts at interrogation are fruitless you flick the soldier in the head and then release him. He stands still for several moments before attempting to attack you with his bare hands. Before he can even manage a single punch however his head begins to enlarge like a balloon, the skin turning dark as blood saturates the tissues. Moments later the skin ruptures and the eyes burst, spraying blood outward like burst grapes. You catch the body before it can fall to the ground and begin absorbing the tissue. Several minutes later there is nothing left of the man other then a very blood stained outfit and the unusable contents of his digestive system.
Body modification.
Enhanced size: Success: Body has enhanced in size from 5'8" to 6'5"
Enchanced muscle mass:Success: Over all muscle mass increase and condensed. Overall strenth has encreased to equal strength of enchanced legs.
Enhanced bone:success: Bone makeup altered and increased in both strength and density. Ribs have become interlocking plates and spine has been enhanced to protect nerves. Some loss of mobility.
Enhanced skin Success: Skin enhanced to leather like quality, thick and tough while retaining ease of movement.
Enhanced organ functionSuccess: All organs have been enhanced to work faster and more efficiently. Circulatory system should keep pace with enhanced body while the enhanced digestive system should help to reduce the amount of food necessarily to fuel the new body.

Reginald's wings were a success as well, allowing him to hover and dart about like a humming bird. You have also enhanced your stores of potentially useful biological material. There are 6 unconscious men left.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2010, 07:50:03 pm »

I re-sugest we do all the enchancments on my list.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Pathos

« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2010, 08:02:35 pm »

>No.

>Wake three of the unconscious men up, (one at a time) and experiment on their brains to test our powers.
>Create / install these organs / enhancements:-
Secondary Heart
Phase 1: This simplest and most self-sufficient of implants allows a Space Marine to survive his other heart being damaged or destroyed, and to survive in low oxygen environments. Not just a back-up, the secondary heart can boost the blood-flow around the Marine's body.
Larraman's Organ
Phase 5: A liver-shaped organ about the size of a golf-ball, this implant is placed within the chest cavity and connected to the circulatory system. It generates and controls 'Larraman cells' which are released into the blood stream if the recipient is wounded. They attach themselves to leucocytes in the blood and are carried to the site of the wound, where upon contact with air they form a near instant patch of scar tissue, sealing any wounds the Space Marine may suffer.
Catalepsean Node
Phase 6: Implanted into the back of the brain, this pea-sized organ influences the circadian rhythms of sleep and the body's response to sleep deprivation. If deprived of sleep, the catalepsean node cuts in. The node allows a Marine to sleep and remain awake at the same time by switching off areas of his brain sequentially. This process cannot replace sleep entirely, but increases the Marines survivability by allowing perception of the environment while resting1. This means that a Space Marine needs no more than 4 hours of sleep a day, and can potentially go for 2 weeks without any sleep at all.
Preomnor
Phase 7: This is essentially a pre-stomach that can neutralise otherwise poisonous or indigestible foods. No actual digestion takes place in the preomnor, as it acts as a decontamination chamber placed before the natural stomach in the body's system and can be isolated from the rest of the digestive tract in order to contain particularly troublesome intake.
Multi-lung
Phase 9: This additional lung activates when a Space Marine needs to breathe in low-oxygen or poisoned atmospheres, and even water. The natural lungs are closed off by a sphincter muscle associated with the multi-lung and the implanted organ takes over breathing operations. It has highly efficient toxin dispersal systems.
Lyman's Ear
Phase 11: Not only does this implant make a Space Marine immune from dizziness or motion sickness but also allows Space Marines to consciously filter out and enhance certain sounds. The Lyman's Ear completely replaces a Marine's original ear. It is externally indistinguishable from a normal human ear.
Oolitic Kidney
Phase 14: In conjunction with the secondary heart this implant allows a Space Marine to filter his blood very quickly, rendering him immune to most poisons. This action comes at a price, however, as this emergency detoxification usually renders the Marine unconscious while his blood is circulated at high speed. The organ's everyday function is to monitor the entire circulatory system and allow other organs to function effectively.
Neuroglottis
Phase 15: This enhances a Space Marine's sense of taste to such a high degree that he can identify many common chemicals by taste alone. A Marine can even track down his target by taste.
Betcher's Gland
Phase 17: Consists of two identical glands, implanted either into the lower lip, alongside the salivary glands or into the hard palette. The gland works in a similar way to the poison gland of venomous reptiles by synthesizing and storing deadly poison, which the Marines themselves are immune to due to the gland's presence. This allows a Space Marine to spit a blinding contact poison. The poison is also corrosive and can even burn away strong metals given sufficient time.

>If not all of these, then just the third lung and second heart.

After all of these implantations and alterations to the human body, there is a serious debate whether or not Space Marines are human. While they indubitably serve humanity, they are at least two meters tall, can breathe poison and eat through metal.

Made me lol.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:04:18 pm by Pathos »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2010, 10:42:09 pm »

>No.

>Wake three of the unconscious men up, (one at a time) and experiment on their brains to test our powers.
>Create / install these organs / enhancements:-
Secondary Heart
Phase 1: This simplest and most self-sufficient of implants allows a Space Marine to survive his other heart being damaged or destroyed, and to survive in low oxygen environments. Not just a back-up, the secondary heart can boost the blood-flow around the Marine's body.
Larraman's Organ
Phase 5: A liver-shaped organ about the size of a golf-ball, this implant is placed within the chest cavity and connected to the circulatory system. It generates and controls 'Larraman cells' which are released into the blood stream if the recipient is wounded. They attach themselves to leucocytes in the blood and are carried to the site of the wound, where upon contact with air they form a near instant patch of scar tissue, sealing any wounds the Space Marine may suffer.
Catalepsean Node
Phase 6: Implanted into the back of the brain, this pea-sized organ influences the circadian rhythms of sleep and the body's response to sleep deprivation. If deprived of sleep, the catalepsean node cuts in. The node allows a Marine to sleep and remain awake at the same time by switching off areas of his brain sequentially. This process cannot replace sleep entirely, but increases the Marines survivability by allowing perception of the environment while resting1. This means that a Space Marine needs no more than 4 hours of sleep a day, and can potentially go for 2 weeks without any sleep at all.
Preomnor
Phase 7: This is essentially a pre-stomach that can neutralise otherwise poisonous or indigestible foods. No actual digestion takes place in the preomnor, as it acts as a decontamination chamber placed before the natural stomach in the body's system and can be isolated from the rest of the digestive tract in order to contain particularly troublesome intake.
Multi-lung
Phase 9: This additional lung activates when a Space Marine needs to breathe in low-oxygen or poisoned atmospheres, and even water. The natural lungs are closed off by a sphincter muscle associated with the multi-lung and the implanted organ takes over breathing operations. It has highly efficient toxin dispersal systems.
Lyman's Ear
Phase 11: Not only does this implant make a Space Marine immune from dizziness or motion sickness but also allows Space Marines to consciously filter out and enhance certain sounds. The Lyman's Ear completely replaces a Marine's original ear. It is externally indistinguishable from a normal human ear.
Oolitic Kidney
Phase 14: In conjunction with the secondary heart this implant allows a Space Marine to filter his blood very quickly, rendering him immune to most poisons. This action comes at a price, however, as this emergency detoxification usually renders the Marine unconscious while his blood is circulated at high speed. The organ's everyday function is to monitor the entire circulatory system and allow other organs to function effectively.
Neuroglottis
Phase 15: This enhances a Space Marine's sense of taste to such a high degree that he can identify many common chemicals by taste alone. A Marine can even track down his target by taste.
Betcher's Gland
Phase 17: Consists of two identical glands, implanted either into the lower lip, alongside the salivary glands or into the hard palette. The gland works in a similar way to the poison gland of venomous reptiles by synthesizing and storing deadly poison, which the Marines themselves are immune to due to the gland's presence. This allows a Space Marine to spit a blinding contact poison. The poison is also corrosive and can even burn away strong metals given sufficient time.

>If not all of these, then just the third lung and second heart.

After all of these implantations and alterations to the human body, there is a serious debate whether or not Space Marines are human. While they indubitably serve humanity, they are at least two meters tall, can breathe poison and eat through metal.

Made me lol.

Some of those can be done, but others not so much. You're not good enough to create entirely new cells yet, only to copy. The more you experiment and the more you use the powers though, the more skilled you'll get. I will point out though that several of those are a bit superflous considering your ability to manipulate your own body. Ie you can already insta-heal your body and expel poisons. With enough practice you could alter yourself to the point of being able to breath pretty much any gas. Right now however, you can only enhance or add copies of what you already have or have absorbed. So secondary heart is a go as is the pre-stomach, sense of taste, and the ear. The poison isn't because you have no idea how those work. Now, if you go absorb a snake then you're good.

Pathos

« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2010, 11:08:56 pm »

Some of those can be done, but others not so much. You're not good enough to create entirely new cells yet, only to copy. The more you experiment and the more you use the powers though, the more skilled you'll get. I will point out though that several of those are a bit superflous considering your ability to manipulate your own body. Ie you can already insta-heal your body and expel poisons. With enough practice you could alter yourself to the point of being able to breath pretty much any gas. Right now however, you can only enhance or add copies of what you already have or have absorbed. So secondary heart is a go as is the pre-stomach, sense of taste, and the ear. The poison isn't because you have no idea how those work. Now, if you go absorb a snake then you're good.

> Sounds alright, then!
> Don't forget to mess with these guys brains before we leave.
> And demonstrate drawing or something and force the one we currently have under our control to draw his a picture of their plans or something. Do charades to find out what they want.

Also...
>Let's go eat a snake, guys!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2010, 07:31:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tallness isn't exactly the best idea, although Pathos seems to be the guy to go to for enhancements. I certainly won't shut up when we get physics-defying powers, aside from fleshy bits.

>Experience own childhood/early adult montage. This poor dude has less characterization than the steel bookshelf next to him

for sake of plot

>Study a bit how your brain gave you those flashbacks, for xp
While talking to AJ:

Pathos

« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2010, 07:49:38 am »

Tallness isn't exactly the best idea, although Pathos seems to be the guy to go to for enhancements. I certainly won't shut up when we get physics-defying powers, aside from fleshy bits.

>Experience own childhood/early adult montage. This poor dude has less characterization than the steel bookshelf next to him

for sake of plot

>Study a bit how your brain gave you those flashbacks, for xp

ALL YOU NEED IS A MONTAGE.

Also...

>Be glad we're not a four-armed massively breasted woman with a penis. That'd just be awkward.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2010, 07:54:39 am »

Yeah, gambling with risk on your own body is kind of scary, unless the percents are really small. Of course, with every turn, something just plain awful could happen, and 'losing is fun'. GAME OVER is not. Underdog stories are always the best
While talking to AJ:

Pathos

« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2010, 08:41:20 am »

Oh, and, just in case...

>Make our penis bigger.

Maybe we'll see that woman again and we can wave it like a helicopter rotor and blow her away.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2010, 09:15:48 am »

Some things are better not to be gambled with. We could end up with a mini-cthulu
While talking to AJ:

Pathos

« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2010, 01:06:55 pm »

Some things are better not to be gambled with. We could end up with a mini-cthulu

Which would be even better! Has anything changed in the OP?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40