Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26415 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Temporal Anomaly: Like necromancy, but with more screaming
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2010, 02:17:02 am »

And we literally have a lab rat to hone our skills on

>Attempt to increase Reginald's brain function
You can transmute the exact protein chains and compounds needed to do that, but you still need raw material. You can draw it from your own body (you have some fat and other reserves which would function) but it may be wise to save that for an emergency. The blood left on the street by the jumpsuit woman would also function. You could also draw what was needed safely from any other human you spot. Which do you choose?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2010, 02:25:46 am »

Aww, I was hoping we could talk to the gun lady. :( Well, maybe she'll pop out again if we mess with time enough.

Not that we should. Having the power to make people's heads explode sounds like a pretty good reason NOT to do it, all by itself, and the random side effects sound threatening. Plus, using time powers is what got that assassin after us in the first place. Next time, there will be a whole bunch of them and they'll be organized.

>Leave Reginald alone. Just... get out of here. See if there are bomb shelters in this dystopian megalopolis.

'Viscus' is where we get 'viscera', right? Makes sense. Although, 'necromancy' comes from GREEK, not Latin. '-Mancy means telling the future, by the way.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2010, 02:27:11 am »

>Eh, for sake of plot, move on
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2010, 09:41:47 am »

> give yourself flight, geting the materail by making yourself overall smaller!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Pathos

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2010, 11:21:01 am »

>Increase leg muscle power (not enough to shatter the bone, but enough to take the damage from the jump down) and jump down. Get it from the bloody stain.

Also:-

>Make Reginald a superbrainy mouse loyal to only us. Useful for reconnaisance and being our sidekick. Oh, and alter his voicebox to be able to speak English. Try and avoid killing him whilst doing this.

^That's for later.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2010, 12:43:24 pm »

Aww, I was hoping we could talk to the gun lady. :( Well, maybe she'll pop out again if we mess with time enough.

Not that we should. Having the power to make people's heads explode sounds like a pretty good reason NOT to do it, all by itself, and the random side effects sound threatening. Plus, using time powers is what got that assassin after us in the first place. Next time, there will be a whole bunch of them and they'll be organized.

>Leave Reginald alone. Just... get out of here. See if there are bomb shelters in this dystopian megalopolis.

'Viscus' is where we get 'viscera', right? Makes sense. Although, 'necromancy' comes from GREEK, not Latin. '-Mancy means telling the future, by the way.
I know, but it's so common and understood that "Mancy" can be added to anything to make it magic (technomancy, neuromancy, pyromancy etc) so I decided to chose convenience over correctness.

>Increase leg muscle power (not enough to shatter the bone, but enough to take the damage from the jump down) and jump down. Get it from the bloody stain.

Also:-

>Make Reginald a superbrainy mouse loyal to only us. Useful for reconnaisance and being our sidekick. Oh, and alter his voicebox to be able to speak English. Try and avoid killing him whilst doing this.

^That's for later.

>Eh, for sake of plot, move on

I'm going to follow both of these, manipulating muscles and then using them to get the hell out of dodge.
With a thought you draw the necessary compounds from the bloody smear on the road and use them to reenforce and strengthen the muscles and bone of your legs. You grimice as the mucles grow painfully fast, tendons snapping and reforming under the strain. When it's done your legs literally steam in cold air, the new muscles twitching expectantly beneath tightly streched skin. You drop off the roof, landing as though you had merely stepped off the bottom step in a flight of stairs, and set off in search of some sort of cover. The bombs are falling harder now and the enormous multiwing aircraft are dipping below the clouds. The cannons are firing at a blistering place, tearing aircraft from the sky and hurling explosive payloads beyond the horizon. After searching for several minutes you come upon a large concrete structure, a library, and head inside. The library is made up of several floors, with three underground floors for more books, records and finally plumbing and a boiler. You feel reasonably safe in these lower levels, though its impossible to know if they'll really withstand a direct hit.

Just to let you know, you can read books, if you're interested that is. They use up a fair amount of time but could give you insight to the world around you. Also, modifying yourself, even successfully, has draw backs. Those super legs of yours for instance can let you run twice as fast, jump roughly 8 feet vertically and fall up to 24 feet without damage but they require a great deal more oxygen and nutrients then your normal legs do so you're going to tire out and be hungry a lot more often. Of course, you can further modify yourself to counteract that...

Pathos

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2010, 12:55:35 pm »

>Try and grab a book on modern world history, and read it whilst waiting out the bombs. It's got to stop EVENTUALLY.
>Be wary of anyone, and if they don't seem to have own our best interests at heart (by, say, carrying a gun and trying to kill us) kill them and harvest their raw materials.

Oh, and it's called Vicissitude (try saying that whilst drunk) in Vampire: The Masquerade.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »

Let me guess, these new modifications would also have some drawbacks to them, requiring even further modification to fix? :)

Getting more information about the world could be useful, but I really don't know where to start. Does this library have computers? Can we go read alternate timeline Wikipedia? That would be a pretty good way to get general information about a world.

>Open alternate timeline wikipedia at random.
If alternate timeline wikipedia does not exist,
>Try to find books on the history of time travel. Does it exist in this world?

Pathos

« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2010, 01:10:24 pm »

>Modern history book and this. Look up the term "chronophage" in the library index / an encyclopedia.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2010, 01:15:07 pm »

Ponder the effective use of 'meatsplosions' as a method of propulsion. Questionably, dead people could be used like gasoline XD
While talking to AJ:

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2010, 01:41:30 pm »

Oh, and it's called Vicissitude (try saying that whilst drunk) in Vampire: The Masquerade.
That just sounds weird to me. Really, the name doesn't matter, you can call it ass monkey puppetry for all I care as long as you know what it is.

Let me guess, these new modifications would also have some drawbacks to them, requiring even further modification to fix? :)

Getting more information about the world could be useful, but I really don't know where to start. Does this library have computers? Can we go read alternate timeline Wikipedia? That would be a pretty good way to get general information about a world.

>Open alternate timeline wikipedia at random.
If alternate timeline wikipedia does not exist,
I'd think there might be a point where you could modify yourself so that you wouldn't have to continue modding. Though you'd always have the problem of needing constant "fuel" in order to feed your modified body. Technically you could just "drain" the needed material from random people but thats a bit morally dubious.

Ponder the effective use of 'meatsplosions' as a method of propulsion. Questionably, dead people could be used like gasoline XD
You could alter their chemistry to make them volatile or combustible, but you'd still need a way to ignite them. In all reality you could transform your arm into a flame thrower with some ingenuity or turn homeless people into smgs but its gonna be kinda complicated.   

You search over the library, and are surprised to find that a great majority of the books are written in a strange new dialect, obviously divergent from english, but containing mostly curse words and racial epithets. You do manage to find several comprehensible books as well as a large encyclopedia and the card catalog computers. The computers have no Internet connection and a quick check of the encyclopedia shows that the term doesn't even exist yet. Looking the word "chronophage" indicates that it is a combination of two words, Chrono as in dealing with time and Phage, from phagein which is literally Greek for "to eat". A literal translation could be "Time Eater".

The books you found are as follows:

Alexander Moench: Father of the Titans

Dreams of the Halcyon: Essays of Peace

Pale white shadow: Ruminations on our closest neighbor

The Transcendent man

Washington:The rise and fall

what do you want to read?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2010, 01:47:32 pm »

The Transcendent Man may have some info on this.

>Ponder Spontaneous Human Combustion, and how sharp bits of bone are literally sitting in a vat of readi-mix combustion fluid. knucklebones are quite plentiful, especially in the poorer districts
>Read book
While talking to AJ:

Pathos

« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2010, 01:50:04 pm »

That just sounds weird to me. Really, the name doesn't matter, you can call it ass monkey puppetry for all I care as long as you know what it is.

Apparently it's a real word.

You search over the library, and are surprised to find that a great majority of the books are written in a strange new dialect, obviously divergent from english, but containing mostly curse words and racial epithets. You do manage to find several comprehensible books as well as a large encyclopedia and the card catalog computers. The computers have no Internet connection and a quick check of the encyclopedia shows that the term doesn't even exist yet. Looking the word "chronophage" indicates that it is a combination of two words, Chrono as in dealing with time and Phage, from phagein which is literally Greek for "to eat". A literal translation could be "Time Eater".

The books you found are as follows:

Alexander Moench: Father of the Titans

Dreams of the Halcyon: Essays of Peace

Pale white shadow: Ruminations on our closest neighbor

The Transcendent man

Washington:The rise and fall

what do you want to read?

>Read in order The Transcendent Man -> Pale White Shadow: Ruminations on our Closest Neighbour (probably the guys bombing us) -> Alexander Moench: Father of Titans -> Dreams of the Halcyon: Essays of Peace -> Washington: The Rise and Fall. Try and get through them all (just skim, if we manage to finish them then reread them start at the beginning) until the bombs stop.
>If / when the bombs stop carefully exit the building (with any books we haven't fully read, look around for a book satchel or something) and examine the city.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2010, 01:53:05 pm »

>Added to Patho's idea, absorb matter from your thighs and add to your brain's ability to process and store information. While reading, eat some of the bread in your briefcase, if there's still some left.
While talking to AJ:

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »

I think The Pale white shadow is about the Moon. Starting with The Transcendent man sounds good.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40