Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26387 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

If something goes horribly wrong, blame armok

You turn right and jog off down the street, ducking as a succession of shots tear through the buildings around you, scattering  pulverized concrete and rebar. The road is mostly open, save for a few abandoned vending carts set up intermittently along the sides of the road. You run in your best erratic pattern, attempting to throw off your aggressor's aim as bursts of unseen force tear massive gashes in the scenery. In the distance you can hear what sounds like angry screaming and the familiar chimes tone several extra times. Instinctively you leap to the side, hiding in an alcove created by the entrance to a store, as a crater the size of a small car appears where you had been moments ago. There's a distinct clicking sound before area around you is filled with an unfocused hail of bullets which tears away bits of your cover and reduces windows, vendor carts and anything unlucky enough to be unprotected to rubble. The woman begins to yell something but is drowned out as several dozen hundred pound bombs fall from the sky and reduce the world to deafened silence, choking smoke and blinding dust. You cough and try to try to clear the dust from you eyes as entirely random bursts of gunfire echo around you.

Pathos

>Lay low unless someone comes near.
>Then, hide / run depending on if they're armed with a gun or not.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Enter the store and try to find a back exit, or a way onto the roof where we can escape by jumping from building to building. That always works in the movies.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

> Make like bert, duck and cover.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Gonna go with Dash on this

You duck into the building, music shop by the look of it, and climb the wrought iron spiral staircase that leads from the lower to the upper sections. You smash a window with your brief case and make it out on to the roof just in to see a bolt of white hot energy arc out of the dust below and obliterate a near by building. After a few aborted starts you finally summon the courage to jump from the roof of the music store to the roof of the building next door and from there to the next. You're several houses down when another bolt erupts from the dust, arcs off the ground and curls into the building ahead of you, turning your next stepping stone into a crumpled pile of smoldering debris. The roof you're standing on is a good 12 feet above the hard concrete surface below and theres no way you can make the jump to any of the other buildings around you. You think you could probably jump from the roof but you're not sure if you'll be in good running shape afterwards.

I'm surprised that not even one of you have tried out those new superpowers of yours. Admittedly you have no idea what they do or what the consequences of their use will be, but that never stopped you with that arcade machine.

Pathos

>Test out powers and see if we can reach floor.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I'll just reiterate that you can't use your powers for any specific thing (yet). You can only activate them and even then its up to chance what they do. I actually have a probabilities system to see what happens based on random chance.

Pathos

>Test powers;hope we don't die.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Look around for some other way down, such as a drain pipe.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Look around for some other way down, such as a drain pipe.
I'm just going to tell you there isn't one, so as not to waste a turn. In the future, if you want a complete assessment of the surroundings just ask to "scan the surroundings" and I'll give you a more detailed description. It doesn't count as a turn so you won't have to worry about people blowing you up. 

Pathos

Re: Temporal Anomaly: Disintegrating passersby and getting ourselves shot
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2010, 09:10:48 pm »

>Test random powers;hope we don't die.

I'm sticking by this. At the very least, we can hope it'll protect us from anything that might be shot at us / debris hitting us.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Temporal Anomaly: Disintegrating passersby and getting ourselves shot
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »

>Test random powers;hope we don't die.

I'm sticking by this. At the very least, we can hope it'll protect us from anything that might be shot at us / debris hitting us.
Ok, rolling the super power dice. Ooohhh good roll for the first one. Now the second. O_O didn't expect that. Oh well, fate is fate, here we go.

You suck in a deep breath, close your eyes and concentrate, attempting to call forth the memories implanted during your vision. For an instant you feel immense power surge through you, before it fades away into nothing. As you open your eyes you see the the jumpsuited woman step forth from the dust, clutching a piece of shrapnel embedded in her belly. With a bloody smile she raises her gun at you and pulls the trigger; the chimes ring. One. Two. Elsewhere in the city one of the great cannons fires but, oddly, the massive shell vanishes the instant after it escapes into the open air. It reappears a moment later, still traveling several hundred miles an hour, directly in front of the woman. The shell skips like a stone on water, collides with and obliterates a cluster of houses before glancing off the ground and detonating several miles away. There seems to be nothing left of the woman outside of a red smear on the pavement.

Before you can celebrate a massive pain tears through your entire body and you collapse to the ground in agony, clutching your head as though it might explode. For several minutes you lay on the ground, writhing in pain as ever organ, vein, tendon, nerve and miscellaneous cell seem to burst horrifically open before reforming. After the pain subsides you find yourself capable of new and horrible acts.

CHRONO-DISTORTION! Your meddling with time has caused you to experience catastrophic personal change! Congrats, you managed to hit the jack pot when it comes to side effects this time. You've gained Viscumancy (innate) and now have the capacity to manipulate the flesh of living organisms, including yourself.  Because the ability is innate you have full control and can use it as you please. There is still a chance of failure and backfiring, but its very small. There are also some rules that go with it but we can cover those as they come up. Congrats, you lucked the hell out with this one. But don't forget, making yourself more powerful now could cause some interesting feed back effects in the past and future.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:25:41 pm by piecewise »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Anomaly: Like necromancy, but with more screaming
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2010, 12:40:06 am »

At first I thought we should be tentative with this whole thing, but now that's like playing a war game and hoping there won't be enemies around the corner.

I'll be playing as Mr. Consequences. Continuity flow will be important, since everyone else is going to stain the fabric of reality, I will try my best to be the bleach.

>
Your search - viscumancy - did not match any documents.
<Think to yourself what you just told yourself
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2010, 01:58:31 am »

At first I thought we should be tentative with this whole thing, but now that's like playing a war game and hoping there won't be enemies around the corner.

I'll be playing as Mr. Consequences. Continuity flow will be important, since everyone else is going to stain the fabric of reality, I will try my best to be the bleach.

>
Your search - viscumancy - did not match any documents.
<Think to yourself what you just told yourself
Thats probably a pretty good idea. Personal choices and random chance (a chance that was less then 1% I'll add) have gifted you with a  powerful set of skills which may rather bring the universe down on your head if you're not careful.  The more powerful you become the more shit you're going to attract as you become a larger blip on the radar of the various multi-dimensional organizations. Not to mention the whole temporal instability thing.

And yeah viscumancy is just the Latin word for flesh "Viscus" stuck on "-mancy" , as in "necromancy". It doesn't have the possibility to cause various reality distortion like your time manipulation powers and is much easier to work with. The downside is that it requires the raw materials to manipulate in order to work. In other words, you can heal broken legs but you need to draw the necessary chemicals from somewhere. But hey, you can make people's heads explode with your mind and thats always fun. 

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2010, 02:04:33 am »

And we literally have a lab rat to hone our skills on

>Attempt to increase Reginald's brain function
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40