Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26369 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Anomaly: An interactive adventure in sarcasm
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2010, 03:58:35 am »

I say we try it ourselves. The side effects don't include death. We're more likely to die from a test subject time-disintegrating us than from the game directly.

Of course, we could also leave the game alone and hope that the flashbacks go away on their own. :P

Nah.

>Play game! :D

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2010, 09:14:00 pm »

This would be really fun if there was a variable-integration program along with it, basically a mecagnized form of what you're doing. If you go by the idea that once you create a successful time machine there'll be a hundred people suddenly appearing saying 'Don't do it!', then many previous posts would be altered as we do stuff later on. If it were that in-depth, that'd be fucking awesome. If not, perhaps we'd have to jump back to a few key plot points to atone for it. I'm really enjoying this no matter how it's being handled.

>Bullshit with a few people at the arcade before enticing people to play the game. Let's see if there's some common ground. Initiate "So how's the weather?"
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2010, 11:01:18 pm »

This would be really fun if there was a variable-integration program along with it, basically a mecagnized form of what you're doing. If you go by the idea that once you create a successful time machine there'll be a hundred people suddenly appearing saying 'Don't do it!', then many previous posts would be altered as we do stuff later on. If it were that in-depth, that'd be fucking awesome. If not, perhaps we'd have to jump back to a few key plot points to atone for it. I'm really enjoying this no matter how it's being handled.

>Bullshit with a few people at the arcade before enticing people to play the game. Let's see if there's some common ground. Initiate "So how's the weather?"
Actually I planned to edit previous posts if your actions or the actions of others, or some otherwise unknown force changed them. So far nothing has happened yet, but world events march on regardless of your actions so who knows what might happen.
The warning label on the machine makes you rather nervous and after some deliberation you decide that you need to test the device on another subject. You walk outside and look around for someone to use as a test subject but the street is empty. You jog up the next block but find it equally empty; even a furtive stone through a window seems to bring no attention. Disappointed, you return to the arcade as somewhere in the distance a siren is faintly howling. As you stand, staring at the machine, you remember Reginald and pull him from your pocket. He tilts his head in mild bewilderment and stares at you. If you truly wanted to test the machine again you can only think of two options: Test it on Reginald, or test it on yourself.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2010, 08:01:52 am »

Oh man, we had a mouse! I totally forgot! :o

>Use Reginald on machine

Pathos

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2010, 08:52:40 am »

Not the mouse, random people on the street are okay, but not the mouse!

>Test on self

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2010, 11:49:09 am »

Oh we are just incapable of agreeing on this. :D

>Whatever. Pick one. No more delays. Start messing with the machine NOW!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2010, 01:26:08 pm »

Ok, since we're at a quandary and since I don't want to choose we're gonna let chance choose for us. I'm using Random.org's coin flipping program. Heads, we do it, tails, we use the mouse. We got heads.

After a moment of thought you decide not to use Reginald and place him several feet away in what you hope will be relative safety. You insert a coin into the game and brace yourself on the cabinet, laying your finger on the start button. After a few deep breaths and an instant's hesitaion you press the button. At first the game seems to boot up as usual, but almost the instant the strobing, pulsing colours begin to appear things go very differently then before. The machine, the room around you and indeed the entire world grow hazy and fragment, disintegrating into static before vanishing entirely. Behind this veil of static lies a starfield and a vast nebula, an endless expanse of glowing ether punctuated with throbing, luminous eyes. You hang, suspended, above a planet you do not recognize in an alien sky. As you stare at the unknown stars you feel as though something is probing your mind, leaving behind bits and pieces of information you don't quite understand. Strangely though, you are at ease with it all and do not fight the unknown, invasive force. You close your eyes.

When you open them again you are standing back in the arcade. As you step away from the machine you notice an extra shadow on the floor next to yours. You turn and come face to gun barrel with the jumpsuited woman from before. She's smiling.

"Die, Chronophage"

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2010, 02:34:41 pm »

An assassin is a welcome change to the weird time effects and dystopian civic engineering. Instead of combating some vague threat we can't even comprehend, we just have to escape from a single human being with a firearm and presumable combat training! :)

Except... "before"? When did we meet her? Well, no time to read the earlier things now, we have an encounter to survive.

>Duck behind arcade machines, screaming something to the effect of "couldn't we discuss this?"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2010, 03:01:49 pm »

An assassin is a welcome change to the weird time effects and dystopian civic engineering. Instead of combating some vague threat we can't even comprehend, we just have to escape from a single human being with a firearm and presumable combat training! :)

Except... "before"? When did we meet her? Well, no time to read the earlier things now, we have an encounter to survive.

>Duck behind arcade machines, screaming something to the effect of "couldn't we discuss this?"
Your continued fiddling with the machine changed your past, present and future, the woman is part of those changes. If you check older posts you'll see she appears in them now.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2010, 03:20:33 pm »

Command Reginald to attack, then throw your briefcase full of coins at her. In the confusion take her gun, point it at her and demand answers to what is going on.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2010, 03:37:59 pm »

We just woke up after a time altering dream sequence. I'm betting the suitcase is on the floor, nowhere near our hands. Running is the best option, especially since we have a whole bunch of obstacles around us. I don't think a mouse is going to slow her down very much, anyway, and we wouldn't want harm to come to poor Reginald, would we?

Oh, and I just got "chronophage". So that's what we did to that poor man earlier.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2010, 04:42:29 pm »

As the woman pulls the trigger you duck down and forward, slipping beneath her arm and shoving her backward. In single burst of frightened strength you manage to shove her backwards through the arcade's plate window. Wasting no time you scoop up Reginald and your bag before bolting out the door and down the road, ducking as you hear shots ricocheting off the store fronts. A frantic dash through alleys and side streets ends as you come to a massive clearing dominated by an artillery cannon that stands nearly a half mile high. You bend and rest your hands on your knees, trying to catch your breath. The cannon fires, unleashing a shock wave powerful enough to nearly knock you off your feet and deafening you with the concussive blast. As your hearing returns and the ringing subsides you notice the siren from earlier has only grown louder and that there are oddly shaped shadows swimming through the clouds. In the distance you can hear what sounds like a bell tolling underground, deep reverberating tones which vibrate in your bones.

Pathos

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2010, 08:22:28 pm »

>Try and sort this out, in my opinion. Head towards where the sirens are.
>Kill the woman with our life draining abilities or whatever, if we can, but try and get gloves to protect everyone else. We don't want a repeat of earlier.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2010, 08:43:23 pm »

There will be a lot of re-reading in this, is it possible to have a lot of it transferred to the original post, or to have checkpoints, so that we don't have to muddle through what will be 50 some pages?

>Recall personality, (unless we are all some crazy schizophrenic non-associative personality)

>Clearly, we are fucking with time, and should often distinguish between what is and isn't. Reality checks, or at least a physics check is in order.

>(if not already over-stepping boundries) Teach Reginald a sign/countersign to determine stability. "Squeak, I say!" "Squeak!" It would at least determine that everything involving the fuzzy creature was somewhat stable
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2010, 09:05:53 pm »

Gonna have to be a bit more specific on how you want to make sure you're not dreaming/ reality isn't collapsing.

Oh and I'm just gonna throw this out there: Think about your current situation. Siren, shadows in the sky, huge cannons firing. When have these three things been together in human history?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ESH1Ds6Hs
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:22:50 pm by piecewise »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40