Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26361 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Anomaly: An interactive adventure in sarcasm
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 08:29:54 pm »

Mice collect shiny quarters, but not dull ones, slowly think of ways to steal tickets, as the mini-scooter on the prize rack could be useful later...

(Prepare for long term actions, either going back in time or marketing phones at this day and age)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 09:13:33 pm »

Mice collect shiny quarters, but not dull ones, slowly think of ways to steal tickets, as the mini-scooter on the prize rack could be useful later...

(Prepare for long term actions, either going back in time or marketing phones at this day and age)
Thats a little vague. I don't want to do something which may reveal too much of the workings of the world simply because I'm trying to get the character to "prepare for the future".

Also the phrase "The future" is rather a loaded one in this particular narative. You'll see, maybe.

Pathos

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »

The idea of an improbability drive ( timetravel to an alternate future, technically ) is Douglas Adams-esque.

>Play Seizuretron
>Resist urge to seizure

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »

Current high score on Seizuretron is 22 seconds, what Pathos said
While talking to AJ:

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 09:38:56 pm »

The idea of an improbability drive ( timetravel to an alternate future, technically ) is Douglas Adams-esque.

>Play Seizuretron
>Resist urge to seizure
The idea here is that the instant time travel is invented it creates a sort of weird quantum reality in which the future effects the past effects the future. Its the idea that the instant you start the time machine the first time the timeline is suddenly effected by millions of time altering trips at once as the extended effects of your travel all come into being at once. If this keep going you'll see what I mean.

Seems like playing seizuretron is going to win this one. I'll give it another half hour.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 10:48:49 pm »

>Play Seizuretron
>See if Reginald is also interested in playing a round of Seizuretron
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 11:23:37 pm »

The people have spoken.

With your newfound wealth you decide to play a rousing game of seizuretron. Upon inserting a coin the full title appears on screen as "Polybius 2: Welcome to the Seizuretron". Almost immediately the screen becomes a warping convoluted storm of colors and discordant shapes as insane and desperate whispers seem to fill the air around you. You are vaguely aware that your fingers are twitching nervously and that your entire body feels as though it's in a paint shaker. The whispers become increasingly fierce and penetrate your ears like white hot needles, but you cannot understand what they're saying. Your head begins to ache uncontrollably and your mouth works on it's own, mimicking the the whispers, now screams, assaulting your ears. An instant later your entire body jerks suddenly and becomes completely stiff, your jaw locked in an exaggerated scream. Before you black out you make out the words "Game Over" on the game screen.

You awake to Reginald's insistant squeaking and pull yourself up off the stained arcade carpet. Judging by the light outside, it's morning. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 03:19:14 am »

>Check if we got a high score.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 05:08:31 am »

>Attack arcade machines. Harvest their lifeblood I mean quarters.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 12:38:19 pm »

Oh you people are silly

You press the start button on the seizuretron but the screen remains black and unresponsive. You look behind the machine and find that it has no cord to plug into the wall. Baffled, you can only shrug and go about your business. In an attempt to garner more cash you try to pry the coin slot of one of the games open, however you lack the necessary strength to do anything more then hurt your hands. Rubbing your sore knuckles, you give up on the machine.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 01:58:44 pm »

>Use screwdriver on arcade machine

>If you're adamant about leaving the machines unmolested, wander out of the building. Do some sightseeing before more time shenanigans happen.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 02:49:34 pm »

>Steal electric scooter prize, or sneak around back and find one in storage
While talking to AJ:

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 03:06:22 pm »

>Steal electric scooter prize, or sneak around back and find one in storage
There are no prizes, its an arcade, not chuckie cheese.

>Use screwdriver on arcade machine

>If you're adamant about leaving the machines unmolested, wander out of the building. Do some sightseeing before more time shenanigans happen.
Of course I'm not against opening the machine, or pretty much anything else you want to do. Its just that I'm trying to be realistic and, realistically, you can't bend metal with your bare hands. The screw driver on the other hand, is a different story.

You dig the screwdriver out of your briefcase and begin to systematically disassemble the coin intakes on each machine, stealing the contents before reassembling them. You collect $145.50 in quarters, roughly 7 pounds worth of change, and stash it in your briefcase. With nothing else to do, you wander outside into cold the early morning air. The street is still deserted and the neon signs have yet to be relit; in the distace there is smoke rising from an unseen source. 

Where do you go now?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 03:23:00 pm »

There was a bakery nearby, right? I bet I'm hungry after all those seizures. And the mouse is too.

>go bakery
>buy baguette

After that, wander towards the smoke I guess. Or maybe away from the smoke? I have this niggling feeling that there's something dangerous there, but on the other hand, I want to know what it is.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 03:42:49 pm »

You walk a ways up the street to the bakery, apply named "PASTRIES AND SHIT". The bakery consists of a large glass counter displaying their confections as well as a small table with a cash register. Behind the register sits a gelatinous mess of pale skin and black fuzz which gurgles at you as you step into the shop. Attempting not to stare, you order several loafs of bread and pay out the required $5.00, leaving you with $140.50. Afterwards you step outside and sit down on the curb, tearing off hunks of bread and shoveling them into your mouth. You give several pieces to Reginald, who seems quite happy with them. Once your hunger is satisfied you stuff the remaining bread into the briefcase (which is now quite full) and look around. The smoke in the distance has grown steadily thicker and is beginning to cover a large area of the sky. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40