Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 26488 times)

Pathos

Re: Temporal Anomaly: The Gein interior design institute
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2010, 10:09:50 am »

For ease of flow. For semantics, it's 4/6ths your name and 6/11ths mine, so it's yours more than mine. Couldn't get Smigenpathos, or Smathos, or something like that to work.

For any real purposes, I consider his name "You', like how a little gypsy in a booked called himself 'Stop-thief'

Anywho...

Personally, I think we should just call him after the coolest person in this thread and call him Armok Pathos.

Also, I'm joking, relax. =p

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Temporal Anomaly: The Gein interior design institute
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »

Man that auto-pilot is brutal. We'd better get a monacle and a top hat so we aren't a complete monster. Looks like the auto-pilot leans more for muscle power before mind power. I'm not usually that straight-forward with that style of fighting, preferring to lower the odds before getting in close. Still, turned out pretty well.

At this rate, we're going to have to go by the chunky salsa rule, or fight legions of robots to be stopped.

How much skill would it take to meld Reginald's mind into a different kind of beast? I'd like for him to become a monstrosity like ourself cherished 'average' kind of pet that could do some recon later on

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Big plans for a small rat)
A vizzerdrix huh? I was thinking more Lhurgoyf.

The body isn't as much of a problem as the mind. However since you're just trying to reprogram an animal the odds will be better then if you're trying it on a person. If you want you could even use him as a mobile flesh platform, something to carry some of the biomass around.

You see, this is the kind of awesome we needed!

But details about the environment are now lacking.

>In addition to whatever else is suggested, quickly scan environment for suspicious sounds or other visual, olfactory etc. phenomena that might suggest a threat.
You can use the "scan environment" command to look around without wasting a turn. I'll do that now.

The room around you is sprayed with blood, bile and various other bodily fluids. Most of the shelves has been overturned or outright destroyed but the walls remain undamaged. There is an overwhelming stench of death with blots out all other smells. You can hear nothing from the floors above or below you. You are naked. Your belongings on sitting a top the flesh pile. Reginald is in his box.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Anomaly: You want a piece of me?!
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2010, 01:43:54 pm »

merge self with reginald.

make reginald bigger.

Pathos

« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2010, 04:06:27 pm »

>Get dressed and cautiously exit the library with a gun and Reginald.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2010, 04:28:49 pm »

OK, before we go, lets get a vote on who wants to turn Reginald into our companion monster and who wants to just leave.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2010, 04:54:46 pm »

>Do our powers allow us to get rid of the smell of death somehow, say by eliminating the organic particles that cause it? It might be good to avoid leaving a trace that...atrocities have been committed.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2010, 05:01:10 pm »

>Do our powers allow us to get rid of the smell of death somehow, say by eliminating the organic particles that cause it? It might be good to avoid leaving a trace that...atrocities have been committed.
You can get it off you, but the room is kinda a different matter.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2010, 05:02:13 pm »

OK, before we go, lets get a vote on who wants to turn Reginald into our companion monster and who wants to just leave.

Let's make Reginald intelligent and capable of intelligible speech or telepathy first, and then ask him his opinion.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2010, 05:27:39 pm »

Someone else call this one
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Pathos

« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2010, 05:27:46 pm »

Let's make Reginald intelligent and capable of intelligible speech or telepathy first, and then ask him his opinion.

>Try this.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2010, 05:47:54 pm »

You can make him more intelligent but that will inevitably mean making him larger to accommodate the larger brain and increased metabolic needs. You could just attempt to interpret his thoughts but considering his primitive mind you're only going to get vague emotions. The smallest you could make him that would allow for speech will be something along the lines of small dog and even then you're only going to have the intelligence of roughly a toddler.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2010, 06:07:40 pm »

Well, part one of my plan would be to give him some brains and to make him outwardly appear as a dog, before he comes a manbeastrabbit. We just need to find a dog to complete it.

Last time I checked, the rat may or may not be flying around like a hummingbird with a stretched scrotum for wings, so making it a large, normal rat won't be as unsettling
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »

Well, part one of my plan would be to give him some brains and to make him outwardly appear as a dog, before he comes a manbeastrabbit. We just need to find a dog to complete it.

Last time I checked, the rat may or may not be flying around like a hummingbird with a stretched scrotum for wings, so making it a large, normal rat won't be as unsettling
You could jury rig it so that he looks mostly like a dog. It would basically just be a massive shaggy rat with long legs and a few cosmetic changes but it could probably pass as a dog as long as no one looked too carefully. That or you could even just combine his brain with a living human and subvert and combine the necessary bits to get a human with Reginald's personality. But you guys pick what ever you want to do.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:35:05 pm by piecewise »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2010, 07:33:40 pm »

We should probably decide whether or not we want to use stealth later on. Having a semi-monstrous companion would have a major effect on the success of that endeavor.

If we go for monster, I think we should go for something dog-like and intelligent, capable, perhaps, of observing things that we might not otherwise be able to detect. While the human brain is larger, I don't think we need to give Reginald the same amount of intellectual capability that a genius has.

Furthermore, we should be able to read Reginald's emotions/intents from the electric signals in his brain, which we should be able to detect if we augment ourselves accordingly (it would also allow us to read the minds of other humans).

Therefore, we can dispense with the higher cortical requirement of speaking. Efficiently augmenting Reginald's brain size, combined, perhaps, with distributing brain matter throughout his body, should allow for higher intelligence without increasing the size requirement.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2010, 07:43:04 pm »

We should probably decide whether or not we want to use stealth later on. Having a semi-monstrous companion would have a major effect on the success of that endeavor.

If we go for monster, I think we should go for something dog-like and intelligent, capable, perhaps, of observing things that we might not otherwise be able to detect. While the human brain is larger, I don't think we need to give Reginald the same amount of intellectual capability that a genius has.

Furthermore, we should be able to read Reginald's emotions/intents from the electric signals in his brain, which we should be able to detect if we augment ourselves accordingly (it would also allow us to read the minds of other humans).

Therefore, we can dispense with the higher cortical requirement of speaking. Efficiently augmenting Reginald's brain size, combined, perhaps, with distributing brain matter throughout his body, should allow for higher intelligence without increasing the size requirement.

You still have a metabolic increase. Our brain uses up massive amounts of our energy and Reginald will be no different. If you guys want to keep him small then he can be made intelligent enough to understand orders and to communicate in a rudimentary way, but nothing beyond what you'd expect out of a rather bright dog. Anything larger or more complex is going to start having ripple effects, as in not only will you have to increase head size but lung size to supply oxygen, more blood and a stronger heart to carry the oxygen, larger body to hold larger organs etc etc. 
So really it comes down to a choice between a smart but conspicuous companion and stealthy but still primarily animalistic one.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40