Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So Much Stone  (Read 2325 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: So Much Stone
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 12:39:31 pm »

Channel out a 3x3 space.
Build grates over all but two spaces
Grid should look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mark area around grates as dumping zone.
Dump all the rocks.
Build a single floor over the open space.
Watch as a cave-in utterly deletes your rocks.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 01:00:53 pm »

• Build a catapult firing range and set the engines to "Fire at will" and leave them that way. Improves the highly useful Siege Operator skill for a select few dwarfs, and gets rid of heaps of stone.
  • If one or more floors of your fortress are above the stone layers, build stone floors for them. I don't know if this will improve moods, but it'll look far better and it's a very good way to get rid of stone.
  • Build stone crafts, instruments or mugs and sell them.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 01:16:11 pm »

Channel out a 3x3 space.
Build grates over all but two spaces
Grid should look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mark area around grates as dumping zone.
Dump all the rocks.
Build a single floor over the open space.
Watch as a cave-in utterly deletes your rocks.

That's actually quite clever.

CNiall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 01:25:31 pm »

I actually came here to ask about dealing with my stone, and the first thread I see is about the same problem -- what luck. Anyway, I tried to stick it all in a garbage dump but nothing's happening; I press 'i' then 'g' then 'enter', but nothing seems to change and when I select the stone for dumping (k over the stone then d, right?) no-one moves to do anything about it (and refuse hauling is enabled).

I might just try using bins, though; I guess I could use the blocks for something (even if that's only a sinister vault full of blocks deep within my fortress). How many blocks fit in a bin and how would I move a bin to be used in a blocks stockpile?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 01:39:16 pm »

I believe it's ten blocks to a bin.  Dwarves will automatically use bins for whatever they please.  You can control how many barrels or bins a stockpile's allowed to have in its q-settings.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 01:45:44 pm »

Be aware they use bins for lots of other things too.  You might need to make a surplus of bins to get the desired effect.  (Of course, much of your storage will be more efficient)

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 01:50:30 pm »

Quote from: CNiall
Anyway, I tried to stick it all in a garbage dump but nothing's happening; I press 'i' then 'g' then 'enter', but nothing seems to change and when I select the stone for dumping (k over the stone then d, right?) no-one moves to do anything about it (and refuse hauling is enabled).
You might need to also allow your dwarves to haul refuse from outside.

CNiall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 02:10:40 pm »

The dump and the stone to be dumped is all inside; I'll try enabling it in case it's some weird as yet unresolved quirk of the game but I doubt that's the issue.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 02:12:35 pm »

I've had lots of issues with the dump command as well.  It seems like the dwarves won't dump things until they decide they want to.  I've had whole fortresses of idlers not dumping things for days.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 02:14:11 pm »

I press 'i' then 'g' then 'enter', but nothing seems to change and when I select the stone for dumping (k over the stone then d, right?) no-one moves to do anything about it (and refuse hauling is enabled).

It's 'i', 'enter', 'enter' to create a zone, then 'g' to designate it as a garbage dump.  After that, you may have to re-designate the stones for dumping.  The interface can be confusing, hope this helps.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

CNiall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 02:26:15 pm »

Thanks; once I redesignated the stones for dumping a cloud of dwarves suddenly descended and cleaned things up.

I might combine the bins and dumps: the dumps can hold any excess while I use bins to store some relatively uninteresting stone in case I start running low (I presume there's no way to use stone from a dump, or there'd be no need for stockpiles)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:28:04 pm by CNiall »

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 02:43:30 pm »

Blocks can be put into bins, so if you have bins, they -do- stack (I think...).

Alternatively, do what I did: Make rock crafts! And maybe mechanisms.

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »

Thanks; once I redesignated the stones for dumping a cloud of dwarves suddenly descended and cleaned things up.

I might combine the bins and dumps: the dumps can hold any excess while I use bins to store some relatively uninteresting stone in case I start running low (I presume there's no way to use stone from a dump, or there'd be no need for stockpiles)

You can use stone from a dump, just unforbid the rock you want used, someone will walk in and take it. The need for stockpiles is that food in a dump will rot, nothing will be stored in bins, and keeping 367 spare beds in the same place is undwarvenly!

(Not because of the violation of the laws of physics, that's all good, but because that much wood should not be that close to itself.)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 08:43:10 pm »

You can use stone from a dump, just unforbid the rock you want used, someone will walk in and take it. The need for stockpiles is that food in a dump will rot, nothing will be stored in bins, and keeping 367 spare beds in the same place is undwarvenly!

(Not because of the violation of the laws of physics, that's all good, but because that much wood should not be that close to itself.)

So you believe the theory that when there is a lot of wood in one place, an elf is occasionally spontaneously generated? Well, preventing more elves in the world is a good reason not to stick that much wood together.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 02:43:55 am »

So you believe the theory that when there is a lot of wood in one place, an elf is occasionally spontaneously generated? Well, preventing more elves in the world is a good reason not to stick that much wood together.

Mostly I just believe that any substance that uses sunlight in its creation should not be trusted. Certain foods are an exception, but you should still be wary of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3