Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So Much Stone  (Read 2319 times)

Claidheamh Mor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So Much Stone
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:00:03 pm »

Why can't I stockpile things over mutiple layers >:O
WHY CAN'T I FILL A SQUARE WITH TWO STONES.
WHY.

*drowns in stone*

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
Re: So Much Stone
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:14:15 pm »

1) Build mason's workshop
2) Designate stone (forbid economic, metal ores) stockpile next to/around workshop
3) Add job: Construct rock blocks (repeating)
4) ???
5) Profit!!
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:24:40 pm »

Just mark it for dumping and make a 1x1 refuse pile with everything turned off; if it's closer the dwarfs should path to it and place hundreds upon hundreds of pieces of stone on it.
If you don't like exploiting tactics... just leave it lying around. It's not like it particularly affects the dorfs in any case, and would just be taking up space in stockpiles.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:27:01 pm »

2) Designate stone (forbid economic, metal ores) stockpile next to/around workshop
4) ???
5) Profit!!
Again and again I'm told this suggestion and again and again I have no idea how it's supposed to help since blocks don't stack either.  (you can put them in bins, but who has that many bins?)

Catapults can destroy stone.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »

4) ???
5) Profit!!
Again and again I'm told this suggestion and again and again I have no idea how it's supposed to help since blocks don't stack either.  (you can put them in bins, but who has that many bins?)
Again and again it's probably me making this suggestion, because I love using blocks as a tool to train masons.
Fair point on the bins, though, as my forts never have enough bins (likewise barrels are fairly thin on the ground, I think some of my dwarves are sitting on them/breaking them/using them as low-mainenance pets). This does, however, bring us conveniently to the next tip:

INITIATE CONSTRUCTION OF IMMENSE PYRAMIDAL TEMPLE TO ARMOK!
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:46:13 pm »

How can you not have enough bins?  I'm swimming in bins and barrels from the underground wood.

In any case, it might not be a bad idea to make crafts to sell as well as blocks.  And constructions.  And more block and crafts.  And constructions.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:59:23 pm »

How can you not have enough bins?  I'm swimming in bins and barrels from the underground wood.

In any case, it might not be a bad idea to make crafts to sell as well as blocks.  And constructions.  And more block and crafts.  And constructions.
Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten about crafts. Every year, the mountainhomes send caravans packed full of cloths, food, booze, and finely-crafted, gem-studded piccolos. What does my fortress offer in return, after their gruelling trek half-way across the known world? What does my fortress send back to the mountainhomes to prove their loyalty to the king/queen, and to entice adventurous soapmakers to make their homes under our protection?
A couple of bins full of crappy alunite crowns. And we want the bins back. Seriously, they're going to start thinking we're taking the piss.

To be honest, I just don't think I manage the flow of new barrels/bins as well as I could; I tend to order them in bulk, which ends up jamming the carpenter's workshop for a few months, before it gets cleared out and my brewer starts cancelling jobs again, and then it's time for another batch of barrels (and another section of forest cleared...)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:06:17 pm »

My underground is sealed off until the horrible salt monster takes the bait of my wiley-coyote-esque monster squashing trap.  (floor + pillar.)  So far it's wrecked everything ELSE I left down there, but not the one pillar that'd kill it.  Stupid thing...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:11:21 pm by Corona688 »

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:18 pm »

Building destroyers (or anything else) can't/won't destroy constructions of any kind, including pillars.  You might be better off digging around the level and flooding with with magma :D

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 02:16:15 am »

Again and again it's probably me making this suggestion,
because I love using blocks as a tool to train masons.

It's not just you. In an established fortress I routinely have 4 masons churning out blocks 24/7. It's not that I dislike stone, but I use the blocks. Adding floors and roofs to your above-ground fortresses uses a lot of them.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 02:35:44 am »

Caravans bring alot of wood now. And caverns have even more. So yeah, blocks and bins.
If that does not work for you, quantumize/atom-smash.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 03:06:54 am »

Personally, I just get the workshops to construct assorted junk, and throw everything below a certain quality into the trash compactor. It gets rid of the stone, and produces the occasional masterpiece which goes into someone's apartment.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:16:39 am »

Building destroyers (or anything else) can't/won't destroy constructions of any kind, including pillars.  You might be better off digging around the level and flooding with with magma :D
But it's not a constructed pillar, it's a support, the kind you can hook a lever up to.  I even wasted wood on it in case it was only buidlingdestroyer:1 (after which it tore around ripping up my stone grates, arr)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 12:16:04 pm »

1 x 1 dump pile is the best way to get all the stone in one place.

Making blocks and crafts/mugs is a good use for it, but that can only go so fast.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Claidheamh Mor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 12:18:25 pm »

Anyway I can do a mass dumping instead of selecting every single stone for dumping?
But it works overall.

OH GOD I NEED MASS DUMPING D: HOW.
So much selecting and dumping... So much ;-;

Wait nvm found it <3
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:21:47 pm by Claidheamh Mor »
Pages: [1] 2 3