Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best ways to increase energy?  (Read 2670 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best ways to increase energy?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 12:50:19 am »

If your brain is tired 'normally', then 'normally' you aren't using it much.

You sound pretty dam bored.

I'd say it's the opposite of this.  The most tired and exhausted I felt was during the final push of my thesis during college, back in 2007.  I study C++ during a lot of my free time, but I always make sure to just have relaxation time.  I wish there were more hours in the day so I could do everything I want.  But I'd also wish to have more energy during that time.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Kebooo. If you're tired, it's almost certain your body is yelling at you to conserve some energy. Gotta learn to balance it well.. sometimes you can perform at 80% efficiency with two hours of sleep deprivation, but at like 5 hours of sleep deprivation, you'll work at around 20% efficiency (and -200% efficiency if you're coding and adding bugs). Sometimes you get more done by sleeping in and thinking fresh. That's why I save the hard work for early in the day and the easy work for late at night.

Oh, and sleep at night. If you're sleeping in the day, it's less effective than at night. Like 8 hours of night sleep is worth 10 hours of daytime sleep.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:36 am »

For Magnesium, bananas are tough to beat.  Lots of good vitamins and minerals in those and then supliment that with some green leaf vegies and you'll have them covered with no problem.  If you are really uncertain about what nutrients you are missing, also try a vitamin supplement.  Don't need to get anything fancy, just a 1-a-day that provides most of the esential vitimins.  Also make sure you get all the essential amino acids (the ones our bodies can't synthesize).  You can do that with beans and nuts, but some meat really is the easiest way to get them all covered.

Low energy can also be medical.  Have your blood pressure and blood sugar levels tested. Those are some common problems, but they aren't the only ones. 

Finally, you said you lifted weights for exercise.  You may want to mix that up a bit with some aerobic exercises like swimming, light jogging, or cycling. Weightlifting is anaerobic which won't help you at all with building energy.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:34:43 pm »

If you don't care at all about the activity then it won't help you build energy.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 01:11:45 pm »

Finally, you said you lifted weights for exercise.  You may want to mix that up a bit with some aerobic exercises like swimming, light jogging, or cycling. Weightlifting is anaerobic which won't help you at all with building energy.

I'll chime in here with a vote for martial arts.  Creates a lot of good energy, self-confidence, and motivation if you find the right instructor/hall.  I've done weight-lifting before, and it just made me feel worn out and heavy (as well as exploding the blood vessels on my legs, not fun).  Running is good, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 04:20:15 pm »

Well, as long as the topic has productively moved on to exercise options:

Traditional weightlifting is indeed a poor choice. But that's only the kind of weightlifting designed for muscle building; if you do the proper kind for exercise then you'll get plenty of the right kinds of benefit.

But if you have a dietary problem or allergies, you'll only exacerbate it by accelerating your metabolism.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:39 pm »

But if you have a dietary problem or allergies, you'll only exacerbate it by accelerating your metabolism.

Wouldn't that then effectively tell him he has a dietary problem or allergies?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:47 pm »

Wouldn't that then effectively tell him he has a dietary problem or allergies?

Not unless he's an educated physician. All it would tell him is "Oooh, I feel bad!"
Which is what mostly everyone feels when starting to work out.

The bottom line is that you need professional help. You're unlikely to fix this with tai-bo or whatever.
The sigs topic:

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:55 pm »

Without reading any of the replies to this thread: I feel the same way. A few years back I felt alot more energized. It seems for me that after working for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 5 months in a row, that my daily energy-levels have been lowered alot.
I feel like my half-year overworking schedule has drained my spark completely away.

Dammit, I miss my spark! I sometimes sense my spark while drunk, but I'm not sure that counts...
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 09:41:33 pm »

If your brain is tired 'normally', then 'normally' you aren't using it much.

You sound pretty dam bored.

I'd say it's the opposite of this.  The most tired and exhausted I felt was during the final push of my thesis during college, back in 2007.  I study C++ during a lot of my free time, but I always make sure to just have relaxation time.  I wish there were more hours in the day so I could do everything I want.  But I'd also wish to have more energy during that time.

Djohaal, as for sleep apnea, is it possible or common for a young, in shape male to have that?  Also, what specific food would you recommend for magnesium?

For magnesium you can buy these supplement thingys with magnesium chloride. They taste a bit bad but you can mix on the juice and side-effect wize they are pretty much innocuous in adequate ammounts.
For sleep apnea, do you snore a lot when you sleep?
And as I said in my post, bucal breathing can be as harmful to one's sleep as apnea. A good way to know that is if you feel thirsty during the night. I always sleep with a 750 ml bottle of water on my bedside, and most often I finish it every night because I sleep with my mouth open and drying.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 01:11:23 am »

Go running. Seriously, it helps.

Go visit a doctor, might as well be some kind of illness.

Do martial arts, as already mentioned. (Running's better, though. ;) )

Last but not least, perhaps you sleep too much? I know I need about 6-7 hours a day, and when I sleep 8, I feel a bit exhausted.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 01:30:06 am »

Do martial arts, as already mentioned. (Running's better, though. ;) )

Better for waking you up and making you Happy, but I think that martial arts helps keep you even-keel in a way that other exercise doesn't ;)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 02:56:32 am »

Running as a recreational sport is one of the most unhealthy forms of exercise you can take up. I know there are a lot of devoted runners out there, and the endorphins are a big plus, but practically speaking it's a very poor choice.

TL;DR: if you're looking to get healthy, recreational jogging is a very poor choice.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 [2]