Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undumpable Rocks  (Read 534 times)

Seconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undumpable Rocks
« on: May 01, 2010, 04:56:18 pm »

I recently reclaimed a small fortress that I had started not too long ago.  I set about exploring it and reclaiming workshops/building farms/setting up bedrooms and so on.  Everything was going smoothly and I was cleaning the place up after the rocks, beds, and barrels had been tossed around the entire map.  I'm rather picky about having a clean looking fortress, i.e., no random rocks strewn about, and this project was going well, until I encountered a bump in the road. 

I set up a one-square garbage dump near the stairs on every floor for the rocks and assorted debris to go in.  My dwarves dumped probably close to one-hundred rocks that were littering the floor of my fortress.  But there seem to be six rocks that they simply refuse to move.  I've since dumped other things into my garbage areas, but even if there is nothing for the dwarves to do but dump these six rocks, then they just sit around the meeting area doing No Job.  I tried taking off the dumping designation and having them move the rocks by putting chairs on the rocks figuring that they would move the rock out of the way in order for the chair to go there, but they cancel the job with the message that you get if the rock is set to dump already.  Over all, it's rather aggravating and I can't seem to figure out a way to get rid of these rocks and they're inhibiting the growth of my dining room.  Any ideas?

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undumpable Rocks
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:35:20 pm »

Try moving them in some way - channeling out under them so that they fall down, or flooding the room they're in, so that the water will push them around. That might fix the issue - or at least it did on 40d#, as I recall. Not exactly ideal, though.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:03:35 pm »

The rocks were probably tasked for something when you abandoned the fortress.  Channel or deconstruct the floor beneath them and they'll be freed -- and if not, they'll at least be out of your way.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:42:58 am »

Are their tiles above ground? Make sure that refuse is picked up outside as well as inside, if so
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Mendtos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:35:10 am »

I was having this problem, I ended up having to forbid all my properly piled rocks, undump all my rocks that refused to dump, and then designate a rock pile zone. They moved em and now I can stack them just fine. Long work around though :/

Seconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:34:04 pm »

The stones in question are below ground in my fortress proper.  Channeling underneath them worked for all but one of them.  One of them is positioned above my major stairwell and channeling down would do nothing but make it fall down one z-level.  I still tried it once hoping that it would become unstuck, but they still don't seem to want to pick it up properly.  I also tried forbidding everything and trying to put them in stockpiles, but they all continued to ignore them.  Any other suggestions?   Would abandoning the fortress again make it work?  I'm only in my third season, so it wouldn't be too upsetting.