Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming our own weapons.  (Read 851 times)

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Naming our own weapons.
« on: May 01, 2010, 04:51:12 pm »

I think, that in adventure mode, we should be capable of naming our own weapons.
Ex:
Now: You kill a thousand dragons with your longsword, and it is named... SugarBeam the fires of love.
With this: You kill a thousand dragons, your sword is named... DragonBane The Glimmer of Hope

See What I mean?

Only in Dwarf fortress would a sword that has slain a thousand dragons be called "SugarBeam the fires of love"
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Naming our own weapons.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »

While naming objects would be cool, keep in mind that language is still in-progress, and will tend to make more sense the more Toady works on it.

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:43:05 am »

Sounds great.
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:39:04 am »

I'd like more control over names in general. I'd like if whenever something (a dwarf or item) recieved a title, you got the chance to pick a name in a similar way to naming your fortress and such.

*popup message*

Your dwarf / dwarf's weapon has earned a title! Would you like to choose a name?
Yes
No

No would generate a name at random, like currently.
Yes would lead you to the familiar naming screen.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »

Personally I like the halarity and idiocy of the random names
Hello Hunam

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:56 pm »

I'd like more control over names in general. I'd like if whenever something (a dwarf or item) recieved a title, you got the chance to pick a name in a similar way to naming your fortress and such.

*popup message*

Your dwarf / dwarf's weapon has earned a title! Would you like to choose a name?
Yes
No

Also if you WANT a name for your weapon at all...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:42 am »

I can't agree with the naming thing, the RNG one works fine cause of how odd and funny they can come out.

I would be all for naming of a series though, like if a Dwarf and his family are known for making masterwork shortswords, they could always have a name type associated when they managed to craft one.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:00:25 am »

*popup message*

Yes
No

Wouldn't it be better if yes took you to the naming screen where there is a random name button, and no simply left your weapon unnamed?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:35:16 am »

Hmm, it could be a decent option to be able to rename things if we choose not to keep their original randomly generated name.

That said, I think the system could be worked out so that it would choose a name like DragonBane for a sword on its own if it had been used to kill a dragon before.  Might be a ways off in development, though.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 03:13:01 pm »

ThisBane and ThatSlayer would get old really, really fast.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:22 pm »

Although it could be nice to put some limits on the naming of non-artifact weapons. The weapon could receive a name with up to two portions. so you could have the front and rear compound, like a fortress' name, or 'the adjective noun', or 'the noun of noun', and so on and so forth. This way a dwarf doesn't name his mace 'fierydeath the ostentatious branding of marmots', but could name it 'doombodice' or 'the slaughter of gophers'
In the case of names it would also be cool if the RNG took the namer's personality into account. So instead of culling words based on the civilization, it culls them based on that creatures tastes.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:09:45 pm »

Actually, I have never seen an artifact with more than two compounds, at least not in this version...

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 05:52:01 am »

Actually, I have never seen an artifact with more than two compounds, at least not in this version...

I'm not certain about items named through attachment or use, but as for regular artifacts, my last fort had three artifacts with four compounds each. Lanternsalved the bleached abundance, for instance. Perfectly acceptable for an artifact. For an axe some dude named because he's attached to it, or killed a forgotten beast with? Seems a bit excessive.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 04:16:09 pm »

I don't know, isn't excessive everything the theme of Dwarf Fortress?

Excessive force, excessive use of magma, excessive Fun...

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.