Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cold effects in DF2010?  (Read 428 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cold effects in DF2010?
« on: May 01, 2010, 04:23:19 pm »

As stated above...
I wonder if DF2010 has any negative  effects from freezing  Biomes.

I embarked to the northern tip of my world and founded a fortress that is obviously freezing
(eveyrthing covered in snow all year long and the river permanently frozen).

According to the DF-Wiki from the last version freezing Biomes should pose certain dangers to dwarves and animals outside,
even being ableto kill them.

Well, almost a year has passed without anything bad happening, despite the fact that my meeting area is still at the wagon
(and, whereas my dwarves often go inside for jobs or hauling things there  should at least a few of my unowned animals who are constantly (or  nearly constantly)  outside).

So I wonder if maybe temperature effects for cold temperatures in DF2010 have been nerfed (or are buggy)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Cold effects in DF2010?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:34:26 pm »

I suppose whether it's too cold for your dwarves to live or not depends on your location and worldgen settings.

I suspect that if your dwarves somehow get covered in water and venture outside, however, they'll die.

And all temperatures in the recent versions are buggy, not just the cold ones.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 04:43:31 pm »

I suppose whether it's too cold for your dwarves to live or not depends on your location and worldgen settings.

I suspect that if your dwarves somehow get covered in water and venture outside, however, they'll die.

And all temperatures in the recent versions are buggy, not just the cold ones.

Hm,  this would make sense, considering the melting rain in warm/hot Biomes.
Fortunately it is too cold to rain and snow, which is the only thing falling, doesn´t harm anyone.

Did freezing Biomes (in previous versions) do any harm to goblin invaders?

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:06:52 pm »

There is a deliminator between Freezing temps and Freezing temps that hurt you. In adventure mode the temperature was returned as "Deathly cold" if its cold enough to hurt you.
I am fairly sure Deathly cold doe not show up on the worldmap.
I am unsure if this still exists in .31