Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: first above ground fortress :D  (Read 700 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
first above ground fortress :D
« on: May 01, 2010, 03:21:54 pm »

i am trying to make an entirly above ground fortress.. i was wondering if there is an easy way to put in the walls on the corners.  i end up having to lay and destroy floor tiles or something just to give my dwarfs construction access to the wall.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: first above ground fortress :D
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »

Build the corners first, or build exterior scaffolding.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 04:12:31 pm »

Build corners first, or build a second wall where you dont want the dwarf to stand and suspend it. The dwarf will not stand on the suspended wall and you can delete it afterwards.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:15:43 pm »

The problem is that they cant build anything in a diagnal so any square corners exposed to the outside on the second level up i have troubles with

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »

They can stand on top of the floors formed by the walls of a lower level to build the corner walls of the next level up first.

I built archery towers this way.

X is stairs up/down, + is floors, # is fortifications. (I use the mayday tileset so I don't remember the right characters for ASCII graphics)

Step 1
+++
+X+
+++

Step 2
#+#
+X+
#+#

Step 3
###
#X#
###

It should work the same for larger buildings. If you are building fortifications, build a wall and carve fortifications into them. That way you get the wall and the floor above it. If you are building constructed fortifications, those don't create a floor above them. So build a wall and carve it. :)

Edited for clarity
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:11:05 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:51:02 pm »

The problem is that they cant build anything in a diagnal so any square corners exposed to the outside on the second level up i have troubles with

Thatīs why you should build scaffolds or the edges at first...
so that your darves can access the corner vertically/horizontally.

Examples:

--x
+++
++|
++|
Edge accessible, because one wall tile not (yet)built

--x        --x
++.        +++
++. -->    ++|
++.        ++|
Scaffold (floortile next to edge) built to access edge)

x = Spot where the edge should be built
+ = floor or walltaop from previous z-level
- / | = wall
.  = empty space

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 08:29:50 pm »

Don't build floortile scaffolds, build grates.  Much less time to put up and take down.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 03:15:09 am »

First level, I build the opposite walls (North and South) and then the other set of walls when those are done (East and West). I put in one or more stairwells (# depends on how much traffic I expect to be going up and down), with the stairs located in a corner.

For each level after that, I follow the same pattern. Build my next set of stairs, build first line of floor along wall. Then build walls (doing one set of opposites walls together, and once those are done, doing the other), and after that, fill in the floor. Repeat for each level until I am happy with the basic tower.

It takes longer than digging, but it works without getting blocked in masons and other troubles, unless something (like pets or stray animals) gets in the way. At which point, you'll have to unsuspend the stuck job, and let your dwarves get back to work.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!