Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Volume of a "square"  (Read 3514 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volume of a "square"
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 05:04:54 am »

maybe size isn't actually dimension of the object. maybe in dwarf fortress it is a property of the specie not unlike the number of libs. All creatures need the same amout of space, but cloth and armor have to be produced keeping in mind the size of the creature. Which means that a size can only accept other things of the same size. It is not a matter of dimension, you need the same cloth to cover a cat and a dragon. So it must be something else, probably a repulsion on atomic level. same size attract, different size repulse. Also, it seem that more size equals greater ability in combat. Probably for some odd physic law the greatest size repulse the lowest size, without an opposite force on the greatest size.

At the end, we can only say that all creatures are big the same and that "size" is a totally different quality which doesn't exist in our world. Toady named it size only to confuse us.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 05:41:24 am »

... and short enough to allow one stone to make a impassable wall.  :o

Ahh but remember, one stone is merely one tile's volume of rock.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 06:40:08 am »

... and short enough to allow one stone to make a impassable wall.  :o

Ahh but remember, one stone is merely one tile's volume of rock.

But also remember that dwarves can walk over a vast stockpile of them competely unobstructed.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 06:49:46 am »

Well creatures in the game do have a "size" assigned to them... that can stop drawbridges from working on them or affect which pressure plates they can activate. No wait... that sounds more like weight. But weight only affects how fast soldiers can go and how much you can fit in a wagon... I got it.

In DF weight is size and size is weight. Except sometimes weight is weight too.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 07:30:12 am »

After many calculations, I have come to the conclusion that each tile measures exactly one cubic Chuck Norris.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 08:13:16 am »

If we're assuming cubical chuck Norri, can we also assume spherical cows?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 08:15:13 am »

In a vacuum?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 08:17:08 am »

you people...

don't you know that Urist is a unit of Temperature, not length?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 08:49:52 am »

you people...

don't you know that Urist is a unit of Temperature, not length?

The dwarven habit of naming scientific concepts after their originators is occasionally confusing to us humans, but I assure you, with enough understanding in dwarven Uristics you can start to comprehend the inflected distinctions in their nouns.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

killfalcon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 11:02:10 am »

Even D&D screws up there - an adult dragon is 2 squares x 2 squares, yet is described as being the size of an elephant.

Elephants are bigger than that, people. Some people are nearly that tall.

Adult dragons are 3*3 now, but squares no longer have dimensions.

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 11:27:21 am »

with enough understanding in dwarven Uristics you can start to comprehend the inflected distinctions in their nouns.
ROFL! Uristics

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 12:31:57 pm »

I've always thought of it as one cubic urist :)
This is a hallway.  Its volume is one cubic urist.  Its length is one urist.  The pressure of the air in the hallway is 100 urists.  The temperature is 10000 urists.  It weights 100 urists.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »

Adult dragons are 3*3 now, but squares no longer have dimensions.

!

I hope round/turn times are also undefined, otherwise movement rates are nonsense.

Also, fall damage makes less sense than ever.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »

Even D&D screws up there - an adult dragon is 2 squares x 2 squares, yet is described as being the size of an elephant.

Elephants are bigger than that, people. Some people are nearly that tall.

You know a lot of 10 ft. tall people? Also, two things: some adult dragons are 15ft x 15ft, and IRL many elephants are usually around 10-12 feet tall at the shoulder. The sizes of creatures in D&D are left abstract on purpose in order to reduce unneeded complexity. I'm sure that's the case in DF as well. The sizes of dragons in D&D, for instance, doesn't include their wingspan or tail, which are usually much much longer than 10 ft.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 01:59:32 pm »

DF happens in 7-dimensional space; objects move in x,y,z-axis, have size and shape in a,b,c and may be displaced in d.
A dwarf and a dragon have equal size in xyz space but different on abc space.
If a dragon is lying down, it gets displaced on d-axis, and you can place another on top of it.
You can only move one stone in a square on xyz space, but if you drop a stone on another it rolls to a side on d-axis.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:05:23 pm by amjh »
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4