Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Volume of a "square"  (Read 3516 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volume of a "square"
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 07:37:28 pm »

A square is as big as the amount of demons in a given world.
With each demon being exactly one centimeter.

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 07:43:50 pm »

So it's somewhat like quantum mechanics...  Indeterminable unless observed. 

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 10:00:18 pm »

So it's somewhat like quantum mechanics...  Indeterminable unless observed.
Yup, the cubic urist does seem to abide by quantum mechanics more than Newtonian mechanics.
Large enough to hold a hundred dragons, so long as 99 of them are lying down.
This actual is from the mouth of Toady, and as far as I know is the last official word on the subject.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:02:20 pm by PencilinHand »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 11:13:54 pm »

What if the tile never changes sizes? what if the objects change size in relation to the sizes of all the other objects in the square? Then the most voluminous objects' greatest dimension becomes 90% as big as the available space. A collossus in your hall is as tall as your average ceiling, and any dwarf that attempts to stand in the same space is shrunk down to as much or less the size of a shrew.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 12:11:05 am »

Maybe we are all looking at this in the wrong perspective. No one ever said that these things are all the same size as it were in our world. Maybe the square is small, but you can only see one creature at a time, in the meantime they all move through a dimension, but use a placeholder for appearance?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 12:37:15 am »

They live in a world of inexplicable geometries and inconstant space. Why do you think dwarves go insane so easily?

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:40:39 am »

They live in a world of inexplicable geometries and inconstant space. Why do you think dwarves go insane so easily?

So easily? I've had dwarfs who have lost their children, spouse, and dearest friends to unspeakable creatures from the Pit and are freaking ECSTATIC because of their posh dining quarters.

These creatures have a mental resolve so firm it borders on the insane.
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 02:19:42 am »

These creatures have a mental resolve so firm it borders on the insane.

They're so sane it's...insane?...wait...wha-?

>.<
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 02:31:10 am »

A square if tall enough to hold a 10-square wide bridge in a upright position inside a 1z cave, and short enough to allow one stone to make a impassable wall.  :o
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 02:49:49 am »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the D&D definition of a square being 5' by 5'

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 02:59:37 am »

Even D&D screws up there - an adult dragon is 2 squares x 2 squares, yet is described as being the size of an elephant.

Elephants are bigger than that, people. Some people are nearly that tall.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Kode527

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 04:00:02 am »

Well... I think you can raise full sized drawbridge just in 1 tile height hall.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 04:13:12 am »

My preferred explanation is that all these worlds actually take place on the constantly shifting and warping surface of Cthulhu's eyes, and that dwarves are actually aquatic demon ticks.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 04:18:22 am »

I've always thought of it as one cubic urist :)
Sounds awesome
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 04:44:50 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4