Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cafeteria Lines and Buffets  (Read 1845 times)

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cafeteria Lines and Buffets
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:47:11 pm »

I tried looking around for something similar, but didn't find anything quite like this in the suggestions.

With the dwarves constantly going into the food storage to get food and drink, it really doesn't make the dining room very useful.  So a solution.  Cafeteria line and buffet line equipment.  Have all the common food service equipment that could be load up with various food items to serve out to dwarves.  This would also make plates, cups, and utensils useful.  Also, putting drinks on tap would make so much sense.

How would this all work?
1.  Make a dinning room.
2.  Put in a cafeteria register.  This would be the command item for the room.  Designate an area for a cafeteria or buffet.  Without an economy, the two would be mostly the same.  With an economy: Buffets are pay once and eat as much, and Cafeterias are pay per item.
3.  Add plates, cups, and utensil stands.  This is where dwarves will storage and retrieve such items.
4.  Add food serving stands.  This is where ready for consumption food is put in.  You can designate the food to place in here. 
5.  Add drink stands.  This is where you tap the kegs and fill up cups.  you can designate the kegs to place here.
6.  Add cleaning stands.  This would clean plates, cups, and utensils for future use.
7.  The place could be staffed by peasants as the labor is simple enough, but they would going experience in the Food Service skill.  They reload stands, run the register, and clean.

Benefits:
1.  Dwarves stop making constant, long trips to food storage.  Dwarves will find a cafeteria or buffet first, before going to food storage.  Then, they'll look for a dining area or place to eat their food.
2.  Served food gets a little more mileage out of it.  Depending on the skill of the food service workers, you'll feed more people for less and it'll be more enjoyable food.
3.  When the economy is enabled, you'll be able to either provide cheap food for the masses or nickel and dime them for everything.
4.  The cafeteria and buffets will also increase the variety in a dwarves diet per meal even. 
5.  Stands individually can be used to place easily accessible food to areas away from the dining area:  Putting booze around work areas (and barracks), food in hospitals, and snacks around housing.
6.  Being able to serve a lot of dwarves efficiently.

Disadvantages:
1.  More workers to keep things going.
2.  More equipment
3.  Pissed off dwarves when a stand runs out of their favorite item.  "Dammit!  They're out of scalloped plump helmet!"

NotQuiteJesus

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Herod.
    • View Profile
Re: Cafeteria Lines and Buffets
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:10:09 am »

Dwarves.
Waiting.
For alcohol.
Oh, peachy.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:56:08 am »

Biggest problem with that would be that I don't really think this is how things worked in about the 1400's.

I do like the suggestion of haulers putting food on tables in the dining hall (at a rate set by the player -- I wouldn't want the dining halls to be full of rotten food that no one had the time to eat) so dwarves won't have to go down into the stockpiles to get them, but a cafeteria sounds very, very anachronistic.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:38:40 am »

Not sure I'd call it a cafeteria but I'd certainly like set dinner hours and dwarves actually eating warm food instead of months old stew. The more pretentious nobles might demand waitressing but otherwise it shouldn't be necessary to pamper your dwarves like that.

Baney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.efrgames.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:21:51 am »

While the 1400's may not have had Cafeterias, they did have food stalls in markets, Taverns and Restaurants, I'd say a more appropriate setting for DF would be a Tavern, a 5x5 Room that requires 4 tables and 8 Chairs, 4 empty barrels, When run by a Tavern Keeper (who needs some emote skills) he goes to the food stores and stocks the tavern regularly, The tavern can hold up to 25 food + drink and provides a place for dwarves to meet, chat, eat, gain happiness & gain emote skills.

steveman0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:33:40 am »

I support the idea of the tavern.  I would like a more interactive feeding system but the cafeteria system sounds like more work than it needs to be.

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:59:34 pm »

Dwarves.
Waiting.
For alcohol.

Heh, the moment i saw that, i got a brilliantly dwarf idea......Keg Helmets.

Want some booze in the middle of battle? simply open the valve on your nifty Keg Helmet and viola~! With a nifty tube from the valve to your mouth, you can guzzle dwarven rum while you hack things to death. No more hassle with having to find your drinking flask while a skeletal eagle carries off your friends.

Urist McDwarf cancels Kill Hostile Creature, too busy drinking from his helmet
The Cyclops knocks off Urist McDwarfs +Dwarven Rum Helmet+
Urist McDwarf goes into a frenzy!

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:42:41 pm »

Taverns, Dining Halls, Offices... theres just one thing missing...

An ability to set if each has a way to say theres a Z-Level below it. Tavern basement to hold stuff. Extension? Build stairs up, and booyah, more room up you gotta say. Being able to select more room z-levels above/below you without multi-tasking each room.

But with how bad rodents are, we gotta hope Toady adds a way to control your cat/dog to hunt for em, so you don't have to. Then again, all dwarves just get too bad of a feeling to be near em, so they can't actually get rid of them. But i still guess they do stomp on thing occasionally.

Yes, Tavern.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 06:20:40 pm »

Eating/drinking schedules should be possible at some point once the military code's hammered out; barring that, putting more interactions into the Dining Room designation (such as dwarves who are friends eating together when possible) would be nice.

I think the main requirement would be a little bit of flexibility, such as dwarves eating sooner/later than necessary to accomodate socializing.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:33:30 pm »

Keg-helm = win.

Tavern = win also.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 07:02:07 pm »

Urist McDwarf cancels Kill Hostile Creature, too busy drinking from his helmet
The Cyclops knocks off Urist McDwarfs +Dwarven Rum Helmet+
Urist McDwarf goes into a frenzy!

Why is the rum always gone?

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:47 pm »

I support the keg-helm or just the ability for everyone to be able to carry around portable drinking containers filled with booze.

Dammit, my dwarves should be able to drink on the job properly.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 08:30:58 pm »

I support the keg-helm or just the ability for everyone to be able to carry around portable drinking containers filled with booze.

Dammit, my dwarves should be able to drink on the job properly.

Aren't flasks supposed to fill this niche eventually. It's period appropriate and less silly than beer hats.

I'm more interested in this tavern concept, especially if it means dwarves will take care of all their needs at once, more consistently. Not only is the potential for having food and drink automatically stocked in the same place in set amounts (I'm thinking of the hospital's cloth and thread levels, only for food and drink), it's also a big step forward for the world aspect. Taverns and feasting halls are great places for adventure and epic legends to be born.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:59:16 am »

I'd rather think that a Tavern would be a room designated from a relevant piece of Taverny equipment, like a bar or a keg stand.  That way the player can give their taverns their own "flavor," as all good tavern surely would have.

Before the Dwarven economy, you could assign a Tavern keeper, but after it a Dwarf would have to be able to maintain the costs...somehow.  You know, sorta like shops.  Also, the dwarf who owns the Tavern would name it according to their tastes (Green Dragon, Yellow Orthoclase, Pink Olm, Purple Plump Helmet, Hold of Esteeming, etc.)

Dwarves, being found of ale and the culture that goes with it, would get an unhappy thought when Taverns switch hands, and even unhappier if the name changes:  Urist McBrewsky has been unhappy recently.  Urist McBrewsky saw "The Plank of Aces" changes hands.  Urist McBrewsky saw "The Plank of Aces" become "The Green Glass of Fathoms."

Any stockpiles included in the designation are used for storage for the Tavern.  3D designations, whenever those come around, will then give us basements.

With the use of burrows, you can then fudge a house brew by putting a still in the back and a carefully setup stockpile.  You then have a separate burrow containing the still just for the Tavern keeper who is a legendary brewer.

Come to think of it, this would be a cool way to do shops in general...hmmm.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 10:19:18 am »

Once, or when, we have a system of offering room and board (and medical care) to travellers, caravans and whatnot, I'm all for a tavern/inn. Could be a nice part of a future Dwarven economy, too.

I'd rather think that a Tavern would be a room designated from a relevant piece of Taverny equipment, like a bar or a keg stand.  That way the player can give their taverns their own "flavor," as all good tavern surely would have.
This, along with being able to designate bedrooms as "Inns", with or without charge, would add lots of depth to the game.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore
Pages: [1] 2