Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cafeteria Lines and Buffets  (Read 1839 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cafeteria Lines and Buffets
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:20 am »

Before the Dwarven economy, you could assign a Tavern keeper, but after it a Dwarf would have to be able to maintain the costs...somehow.  You know, sorta like shops.  Also, the dwarf who owns the Tavern would name it according to their tastes (Green Dragon, Yellow Orthoclase, Pink Olm, Purple Plump Helmet, Hold of Esteeming, etc.)

Dwarves, being found of ale and the culture that goes with it, would get an unhappy thought when Taverns switch hands, and even unhappier if the name changes:  Urist McBrewsky has been unhappy recently.  Urist McBrewsky saw "The Plank of Aces" changes hands.  Urist McBrewsky saw "The Plank of Aces" become "The Green Glass of Fathoms."

I think this should depend on how much the dwarf liked the tavern. If a dwarfs favorite tavern switches hands, and the legendary tavern keeper is replaced by an unskilled nobody, then he should get an unhappy thought. If it switches hands and his legendary tavern keeper is replaced by another legendary tavern keeper, the thought should be rather minor. If it switches hands and the dabbling nobody is replaced by a legendary tavern keeper, he should get a good thought.

Thoughts should occur after dining at the new establishment. So if a tavern gets an upgrade, he'll be happy with the improved quality and service. If it gets a downgrade, he'll be upset.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »

Yeah, the original cafeteria idea is rather silly, but taverns could be interesting.  Some things i would suggest:

Eatting from the food stockpile is essentially like eatting trail rations.  After a certain point (say, once you have a Mayor), dwarves start getting unhappy thoughts for eatting stockpile food, or get the "Tired of the same food/booze" thought faster.

Taverns must be declared with a kitchen (this would require the ability to do multi-room designations, rather than a designation being instantly blocked by a door).  Food from the tavern's kitchen has a certain amount of time for which it's considered a "Hot Meal" which can (and must) be served at the tavern.  After that time, it is considered stockpile food and hauled off accordingly.

Having a hot meal at the tavern provides a minor mood boost (in addition to normal benefits of the food and drink).  There could also be mood benfits if, say, a favorite barkeep or waitress served the food.

Food and drink are consumed at the same time, resetting timers accordingly (this could actually end up increasing food consumption, since I believe drinks are consumed twice as often as food).

Cooks get happy thoughts from patrons getting happy thoughts about the food.  Maybe something similar for the barkeep.

Patrons get unhappy thoughts about any vermin, not just the ones they particularly dislike, while in the tavern.

Just some ideas.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 04:40:01 pm »

A tavern is a for-profit establishment, not something that caters to the community's basic sustenance. I can certainly see dwarves spending time in the juice bar when the economy kicks in but let's not get it mixed up with the eatery.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 09:18:25 pm »

I think the hospital system, that designates an area, free from any specific building type, is the way to go here. There's already infrastructure for keeping track of what kinds of furniture are inside the area, and what is stored in the containers, so we could leverage that to track things like the levels of food and drink.

The option to designate a kitchen shop inside the tavern would be most invaluable, for getting those prepared meals on site, but it wouldn't create any artificial restrictions on the layout of a tavern. You could put the kitchen behind a door, or on another floor, or even across the hall, if you wanted, so long as it was close.

Alternatively, if you wanted to segway into cooking specific meals on demand(which seems like the only real point of mechanically bonding cooking with serving food), instead of serving stew de jour (beer stew) the kitchen inside a tavern thing could borrow code from the traction benches in the hospital.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 11:09:22 pm »

... Pink Olm, Purple Plump Helmet...

I can't decide which sounds more wrong. :)

I like the idea of some kind of more organized dining system for all dwarfs, and a tavern / restaurant that works kind of like shops for dwarfs to eat at once the economy gets going.

Edit for clarity: I mean I like BOTH ideas :)  The cafeteria system could be improved on somewhat but that's pretty much how dining halls work now, minus the idlers gathering there.  Right now they end up being huge FPS drags due to constant parties and such.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:11:20 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 11:39:09 pm »

I dont like the idea of cafeteria or buffet. It doesnt seem to be in theme. Dorf antics do need to get address at some point, and using mugs, plates would be apart of that.

The idea for taverns is excellent and feels in theme. I hope it gets in there some day. Fort wide meal periods would be more in theme I think. Having the cooks churn out the foodstuff at the time. Then that would probably allow for dorfs to have manservants. Private cooks, servants, assiants so on.

And then also have dorf doing solo eating things like they brought a meal with them. We could also have dorf seating in the dining room be based on relations.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:04 am »

Well I seriously doubt nobles would go to a tavern or a cafeteria, of course they already have there own dining rooms, but it would be cool if they invited other nobles and noble like dwarves to eat with them so they could still get the happiness bonuses and such that other dwarves get from eating at a tavern together.

Noble McDwarf throws a feast!
Hammer Mchammer is invited
Noble McDwarf mandates 3 lavish meals with plump helmets
Urist McPeasant stops wallowing in mud: ordered to wait feast

So kinda like parties but not as long and only specific dwarves who probably aren't doing anything anyway attend as well as a few peasants or lower skilled *such as when an apprentice system is added anyone who isn't part of that or "master"*.

Also the idea of gossip could work here, such as two dwarves in a tavern would gossip about something, like a noble and what a peasant heard while waiting for them, which would make the nobles someone of celebrities instead of cold ruthless leaders, and could effect a dwarves mood depending on the context of the gossip.  It would be more interesting if fortresses could continue once you stop playing them and add a new topic to talk about in adventuring mode.

adventurer: Greetings I'm Urist McStabandgrab
Dave or whatever: sup
*click gossip*
Dave: I hear Noble Mcdwarfington lost his ear from a batman named bruce.

Okay that was quite a tangent but it's somewhat related.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 04:15:09 am »

I like it, but I'd also add I want the option to build a 'wait station' that employs one dwarf that brings food/booze out to customers in the dining room.  I want serving wenches for my tavern, damnit!
Pages: 1 [2]