Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Hive Mind  (Read 22922 times)

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Mind
« Reply #285 on: May 05, 2010, 09:15:21 am »

I'm aware, I was just thinking Flood when I said it.

but zerg is way cooler  and well we are a hive mind
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 05, 2010, 09:27:31 am »

Well Halo did kind of copy Starcraft (Protoss -> Covenant, Zerg -> Flood).

Still, we should really find a way to eat some humans soon, so we can devour their brains and extract useful knowledge about this planet.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:28 am »

Well Halo did kind of copy Starcraft (Protoss -> Covenant, Zerg -> Flood).

To be fair it's a fairly standard tech vs bio setup. (or magic / tech / bio if you want to count eldar Protoss psi powers as magic users and human as tech)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 05, 2010, 09:40:38 am »

3 things:

1. I don't know if you have noticed but the environment around you adapts to you, for example in the last 5-6 days you haven't seen any snork right? Thats because they adapted to avoid your hive to be secure of it. I just mean that if you don't evolve fast enough you may starve because your food has run for its life, or found a way to defend against you.

2. Concerning Mind Control: i don't really want to implement it, as cool as it sounds, because it seems to me to be abused really fast...however you can create something that will infect already dead bodies and use them....

3.Concerning the Overtaking of triffids and making them as intelligent as you:
I already mentioned that if you make them as intelligent as you, you won't control them very much longer. They will ahve they're own will, althoug it is possible that they still follow you, there is still the possiblity of treachery(somehow reminds me of starcraft....)

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 05, 2010, 09:45:34 am »

3 things:

1. I don't know if you have noticed but the environment around you adapts to you, for example in the last 5-6 days you haven't seen any snork right? Thats because they adapted to avoid your hive to be secure of it. I just mean that if you don't evolve fast enough you may starve because your food has run for its life, or found a way to defend against you.

2. Concerning Mind Control: i don't really want to implement it, as cool as it sounds, because it seems to me to be abused really fast...however you can create something that will infect already dead bodies and use them....

I already mentioned that if you make them as intelligent as you, you won't control them very much longer. They will ahve they're own will, althoug it is possible that they still follow you, there is still the possiblity of treachery(somehow reminds me of starcraft....)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!'

we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg we want zerg
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 05, 2010, 09:47:22 am »

Thank you
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2010, 09:49:07 am »

What happens if our main hive-brain dies while we have other generals? What about other brains?
What if we skip generals, and just build more brains for ourselves in other places, connected to the mindlink?
How will moving to another planet work?

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2010, 09:50:29 am »

the cerebrets never betrayed the overmind

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2010, 09:59:55 am »

What if we skip generals, and just build more brains for ourselves in other places, connected to the mindlink?

This is what I want to do :) or one big world spanning mind.

How will moving to another planet work?

Maybe we can work out a way to communicate superluminally and so keep it as one mind still :)
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2010, 10:17:37 am »

OR we completely 100% strip this planet of biomass and head to the next planet... personally.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2010, 10:27:24 am »

OR we completely 100% strip this planet of biomass and head to the next planet... personally.

That works too, as long as we can move to the next one as more than a little worm thing. We could kill the whole quadrant, planet by planet and leave a lifeless universe in our wake.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45:59 am »

Or we could use as much of each planet's energy as possible to continually create more biomass. Perhaps we could eventually develop psi to control distant worlds?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 05, 2010, 10:50:26 am »

actually they did not betray the overmind but they did betray kerrigan(a far as i recall(sorry havent played it for years)).

If you die the hive will not actually die but be split among your most inetelligent minions and they will do whatever they please. You however have lost.

You can play on if you make empty brains, that are more or less creatures without life, who are hidden away somewhere and work as your second body.

Normally you will leave your body before you die and be again this little worm thing. And you will lose control of your hive. If you manage to reach your spare body(if you have made one) you will regain control overthe surviving parts and can rebuild. However if your worm form gets killed....

Anyways travelling between planets i haven't worked out so far:
1 Possibility: You go into your worm form and start a new on a new planet.
2. Possibility: You manage to bring your Hive Mind afloat and bring giant flying creatures under your control to move the whole hive...
3. Possibility: you create something like a cerebrate and with a small guard you sent him to another planet (actually like one but wiht starting troops and some researched upgrades)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:48 am »

The main planet should be the heart of our hive, we breed living ships on which to send our minions to cleanse the galaxy.Also the infection idea could be used like it was in AC, when they enter the victim it becomes parlyzed and they start reproducing inside or they digest it from the inside after which collector creatures come and drink the nutritous juice
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 05, 2010, 11:29:38 am »

actually they did not betray the overmind but they did betray kerrigan(a far as i recall(sorry havent played it for years)).
but they did not do that either they never accepted kerrigan from the beginning so several cerebrets merged together to create a new overmind
that is how i remember it....

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27