Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure plates confuse me  (Read 883 times)

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure plates confuse me
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »

I have a couple of wells with reservoirs beneath them in my fortress.  They're fed by muddy ponds acting as cisterns.  Naturally, there's a problem with limiting the amount of water that flows into them, since left uncontrolled they'll overflow.

I can of course check the water levels manually and open the floodgates just long enough to let in the right amount of water, but where's the fun in that?  I set up a system where a pressure plate inside the reservoir would activate a drawbridge inside the water tunnel, blocking the flow of water.  The plate was set to trigger on 5-7 units of water.

The problem is, it worked once, and then stopped.  When the water level dropped it lowered the gate, but the next time it rose it didn't function.  Since I'd left the floodgate open, it ended up seriously flooding the jail, washing a prisoner and several food barrels into the reservoir, and drowning him.  To think the well was supposed to solve the last problem, where a prisoner died of thirst even though I had a well nearby and a tiny drink stockpile within reach.

Anyway, why didn't this setup work the second time?  Why won't the bridge rise now?

- Gus

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Pressure plates confuse me
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:00:21 pm »

Pressure plates can be tricky sometimes.  They don't send a continuous 'on' or 'off' signal all the time, but only when they change state according the the conditions they've been built to register.  When a bridge gets a signal from a pressure plate, it takes 100 ticks to raise or lower, and during that delay time any other signals that get sent to the bridge are ignored.  So if a pressure plate is sending fluctuating 'on' and 'off' signals (which can easily happen if the plate is in flowing water) it's possible that the signal to lower the bridge is sent, then the signal to raise the bridge is missed because the bridge was changing state.

This is why I don't use pressure plates to control water levels, and when I do have to I always have a backup lever to manually control the water flow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:16:07 pm »

You need to make an automated way to stop overflows.
Hmm.
Here's an idea - connect the pressure plate to a floor hatch. That floor hatch will open when an overflow appears and dump the excess water right into some noble's room, caverns, obsidian farm, or whatever you want.
And your bridge problem appeared because bridges can't retract underwater/when submerged in magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:23:07 pm »

And your bridge problem appeared because bridges can't retract underwater/when submerged in magma.
Of course they can, what makes you think they can't?  I've used retracting bridges under water many times.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:19 pm »

Of course they can, what makes you think they can't?  I've used retracting bridges under water many times.
Might be the fact that mine didn't even budge when they were underwater.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:46 pm »

If you use doors there won't be a delay.  That way you can use pressure plates to control the water flow. 
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:25:45 pm »

Might be the fact that mine didn't even budge when they were underwater.
Then you had something wrong in the hooking up of the bridges, or the triggering mechanisms.  Water doesn't stop bridges from raising or retracting.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 02:31:01 pm »

I second the doors, I've found for small areas they're very effective.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 02:42:50 pm »

I used a bridge because the "on" signal meant "closed" in this case.  How does that work with a door?  Doesn't "on" mean open, like with floodgates?

- Gus

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 02:55:21 pm »

I used a bridge because the "on" signal meant "closed" in this case.  How does that work with a door?  Doesn't "on" mean open, like with floodgates?

- Gus
Yep, 'on' means open with doors.  What you do is set the pressure plate to be on when the water is below, say, 4.  Then the door should close when the water rises to that level.  You will also need a lever to open the door to let water in to start the system.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 03:06:42 pm »

So, I assume the reason to recommend a door instead of a floodgate is that the door responds faster.  I've tried the 0-4 sensor + lever approach with floodgates, and the result was unreliable.  I thought it was because of the nature of the "on" state, which is why I tried the bridge instead.

- Gus

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 04:26:32 pm »

I've been setting up similar systems, based on info from the wiki.

Generally I set my pressure plate to trigger 0-4 and reset. Then I build a floodgate, connect it to the plate and a lever (in a safe place). After that I pull the lever to open the floodgate, then remove the lever. Once this is done, I let the water in (usually this involves either digging out a final square or opening a different floodgate). The water flows in and once there's 5 on the plate, the floodgate closes.

However, last time the water actually went under 5, the gate didn't open and refill automatically... even though it had done so in a previous case. I'm honestly not sure why, it's possible some debris or some plants somehow buggered my pressure plate.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:10:18 am »

any reason there isn't a a diagonal pressure relief valve between you wells and the water source?

Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.