Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Expedition Leader Oneshoted a Forgotten Beast  (Read 3408 times)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
Re: Expedition Leader Oneshoted a Forgotten Beast
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 04:59:24 pm »

So far, I have had one forgotten beast made of snow (beaten to death by a miner)
And one made of water (beaten to death by another miner)

I wonder if the next one will be made of ice.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 05:44:44 pm »

It makes sense actually. The FB charged the expedition leader, who dodged, letting it smash into the wall and fall flat. From there it's a couple of easy shots to the brain. Yay for smart expedition leaders, I guess?
From time to time, dwarves seem just a little too smart to just be part of a computer game...
Then one walls himself in and you realize that's a rather silly thought.
Like I said, from time to time. Usually they'll happily seal themselves in the magma plumbing, yeah.

Times like that I imagine Peter Griffin standing in front of the giant "do not push" red button.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 05:57:04 pm »

I had a forgotten beast show up immediately on embark;   :o  (It was a reclaim.)  In the next instant, a war dog cut it in half or something.  It was supposed to be a scorpion made of snow, or something.  Given the fate it suffered, maybe it was life-size for a scorpion?  I can just imagine this tiny, white forgotten beast pops out of a three inch scorpion hole, and squeaks Lo!  I the forgotten beast WCXZVXZZ stands before you!  Prepare to die!  and a curious dog tips it over with its paw and bites it in half.  It turns into snow and the dog is like "???".

Lol, if it was made of snow it was probably quite soft so it's not surprising it fell apart.

If it was made of diamond it might have been different :P
If a dwarf came across a tiny scorpion made of living diamond, he'd nail it to a mug and call it an artifact.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 08:19:12 pm »

If a dwarf came across a tiny scorpion made of living diamond, he'd nail it to a mug and call it an artifact.

And then hand it over to a noble?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 08:27:55 pm »

*puts on monocle* I do say, that dwarf has quite a degree of dwafenlyness
Hello Hunam

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »

It makes sense actually. The FB charged the expedition leader, who dodged, letting it smash into the wall and fall flat. From there it's a couple of easy shots to the brain. Yay for smart expedition leaders, I guess?
From time to time, dwarves seem just a little too smart to just be part of a computer game...
Then one walls himself in and you realize that's a rather silly thought.
Like I said, from time to time. Usually they'll happily seal themselves in the magma plumbing, yeah.

Times like that I imagine Peter Griffin standing in front of the giant "do not push" red button.

LOL, now I'm going to picture Peter Griffin every time a dwarf does something stupid...
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:34:24 am »

I wish there were more forgotten beasts. If I dig into a cavern, I want to see more things eating eachother, not just pussy-footing around waiting on Urist to wander by before they even move.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 01:37:08 am »

...Yes, yes, of course. Perhaps it will give him good luck, so he will avoid the same unfortunate accidents as his twelve predecessors.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 04:22:21 am »

this kind of thing happens from time to time, even in the last version. I had a miner accidentally pierce the hfs in 40d and pickaxe the first demon that emerged in the chest for an effective oneshot kill (couldn't read combat reports then but (v)iewing the fight it was one or two pickaxe pokes to the heart and lungs)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 04:35:42 am »

Getting your chest impaled with a pickaxe is crude, yet very effective.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 06:56:19 am »

This is the part of a random combat generator that I like. Watching the one recruit that didn't die horribly to the goblins right away proceed to kill the rest then, through the years, become the greatest hero your fort has ever known.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 01:43:34 pm »

And then be killed in a freak accident against a rhesus macaque.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 01:47:43 pm »

Hi!

Actually, this reminds me of a wonderful discovery in the combat reports while I was trying to destroy my old fortress by digging too deep.

The expedition leader strikes The Troll in the head from behind with her +iron pick+, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Troll has been knocked unconscious!

While it may not be that rare, I had not noticed that dwarves could attack foes from behind. And despite the last line, it was an insta-kill.

Personally, I felt this was really awesome.

Deathworks

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »

...Yes, yes, of course. Perhaps it will give him good luck, so he will avoid the same unfortunate accidents as his twelve predecessors.
Were those unfortunate accidents along the lines of "Urist McNoble cancels Drink: interrupted by scorpion"?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 07:54:46 pm »

Were those unfortunate accidents along the lines of "Urist McNoble cancels Drink: interrupted by scorpion"?
...Maybe a couple. Freak accidents, no chances of a repeat, no...
Pages: 1 [2] 3