Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Expedition Leader Oneshoted a Forgotten Beast  (Read 3407 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Expedition Leader Oneshoted a Forgotten Beast
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:26:02 pm »

"Cuthabe the Mines of Drinking" has COME!!!
A giant Worm with a spiraled shell, Beware its toxic breath!

It has been in the depths for a while and I had "THOUGHT" it had gone.  After opening a blocked off cave section however it sprung from the shadows..  Unable to wall the section up, I had to face it,  Just 19 Dwarfs who so far had spent time killing Trogs, Mole Rats and Elk Birds, now had to grab what they could and face down this horror. 

As if knowing their fate, they conscripted and met in the central meeting hall of my underground Fort, the beast was coming down the Main stairwell toward them. 

From behind the Beast A saw a Dwarf running forward, my Expedition leader "Datan Therlethsigun" came up behind the beast.. I sighed, he was all by himself, he was toast.  There was a flash of red, and sudden jump and... And the Beast was DEAD.

There was not a SCRATCH on my leader
I havn't altered the rars at all no meddling making super Dwarfs.  I have NO idea what happened by in about 3 seconds, my ONE dwarf had slain the beast... all 12000-L of it!!!

Right now my poor shmuck of a Butcher is carrying the carcass upstairs.. Might take him a year to lug it.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition Leader Oneshoted a Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:34:36 pm »

1. hit 'r'
2. view combat log
3. fuck yeah
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »

Sadly it seems that FBs come in two varieties now.  Total pushovers and nigh-invincible ones.  It would be nice to have more stuff in-between these two extremes.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:36:13 pm »

Yeah, I've found that they can be pathetically easy to kill too. I had to deal with one when I thought I had it walled off; it buildingdestroy'd its way through a window. One of my miners killed it immediately with a pick to the brain. It didn't have bones though; it was a giant 3 eyed maggot.

Check your combat reports and see how your dwarf managed to kill it. :P

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:37:14 pm »

My Expedition Leader did the same thing to a serpentine forgotten beast with "deadly blood." She ended up impaling its head with a bronze pick.

Unfortunately, due to a glitch(?) I had to abandon the fort because she died from the poison in the blood, my dwarves kept tracking the blood around the fort, and since it never got cleaned away all my animals and dwarves kept getting poisoned and dying. Eventually everyone started tantruming, going stark raving mad, and melancholy...

I think you can guess what happened.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:38:07 pm »

Forgotten beasts go between both extremes right now. Either they're literally unkillable, or they pop up and get promptly kicked in half by a foal.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:42:17 pm »

The Forgotten Beast charges at The expedition leader!
The Forgotten Beast attacks The expedition leader but She jumps away!
The Forgotten Beast strikes The microcline wall!
The expedition leader strikes The Forgotten Beast in the body from behind with her (copper pick) tearing the scale and bruising the muscle and bruising the brain!
The expedition leader strikes The Forgotten Beast in the body from behind with her (copper pick) tearing the brain!

SO wow, evidently she got the lucky shot of the Century!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 12:44:46 pm »

I think it's kind of odd that a dwarf can strike a massive, multiple ton monster in the head from behind.

...not that I'm complaining.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 12:47:06 pm »

It makes sense actually. The FB charged the expedition leader, who dodged, letting it smash into the wall and fall flat. From there it's a couple of easy shots to the brain. Yay for smart expedition leaders, I guess?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 01:22:18 pm »

I had a forgotten beast show up immediately on embark;   :o  (It was a reclaim.)  In the next instant, a war dog cut it in half or something.  It was supposed to be a scorpion made of snow, or something.  Given the fate it suffered, maybe it was life-size for a scorpion?  I can just imagine this tiny, white forgotten beast pops out of a three inch scorpion hole, and squeaks Lo!  I the forgotten beast WCXZVXZZ stands before you!  Prepare to die!  and a curious dog tips it over with its paw and bites it in half.  It turns into snow and the dog is like "???".
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:56:54 pm »

I had a forgotten beast show up immediately on embark;   :o  (It was a reclaim.)  In the next instant, a war dog cut it in half or something.  It was supposed to be a scorpion made of snow, or something.  Given the fate it suffered, maybe it was life-size for a scorpion?  I can just imagine this tiny, white forgotten beast pops out of a three inch scorpion hole, and squeaks Lo!  I the forgotten beast WCXZVXZZ stands before you!  Prepare to die!  and a curious dog tips it over with its paw and bites it in half.  It turns into snow and the dog is like "???".

Lol, if it was made of snow it was probably quite soft so it's not surprising it fell apart.

If it was made of diamond it might have been different :P

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 02:08:55 pm »

It makes sense actually. The FB charged the expedition leader, who dodged, letting it smash into the wall and fall flat. From there it's a couple of easy shots to the brain. Yay for smart expedition leaders, I guess?
From time to time, dwarves seem just a little too smart to just be part of a computer game...
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »

From time to time, dwarves seem just a little too smart to just be part of a computer game...
Then one walls himself in and you realize that's a rather silly thought.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:07 pm »

The ONE spot it didn't have a "spiraled shell" protecting it.
Give this guy a legendary dining room and call it a day.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »

Then one walls himself in and you realize that's a rather silly thought.
Like I said, from time to time. Usually they'll happily seal themselves in the magma plumbing, yeah.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: [1] 2 3