Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: whats the point of spike traps?  (Read 1560 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
whats the point of spike traps?
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »

Whats the difference between weapon traps with menacing spikes and spike traps?  I know spikes can friendly fire, and they also only do damage if activated by pressure plate or lever while an enemy is on top of them.  Given that, do they have any real advantages?  I believe I've heard of people making great fields of them connected to a lever on repeat, but even then, how is this better than regular weapon traps?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: whats the point of spike traps?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:36:20 pm »

Create a long hallway full of spikes with a lever at the end. Get people with pets you don't like to pull the lever.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »

so basically friendly fire.  fair enough, i was kind of hoping the spike trap gets some advantage against huge sieges or megabeasts or something.  Do they jam like regular traps?  also i've read a spike trap will hit any and everything thats on top of it when it goes, ie can spear like 20 goblins at once.  to weapon traps also do this or do they have a limit of number of attacks per 'step?'
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:46:07 pm »

I was under the impression that upright spikes ignore [TRAPAVOID] but I'm really not sure at all.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:57:21 pm »

Yea, spike traps never jam like weapon traps can, and
upright spikes ignore [TRAPAVOID]
so you can hit anything with them (although that's no guarantee that you'll do any damage).

They are piercing weapons and so they can do nasty damage to enemies with organs, but aren't much good against some of the megabeasts.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:08:41 pm »

Spike traps can also be constantly active, so you can make pits with spiked bottoms using them!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:39:52 pm »

No, you can't. They only do damage when the lever is pulled. You'd need to have a repeater constantly activating and deactivating them for that to work.

The most common use is indeed a trap corridor, that works on [trapavoid] creatures. And of course, creative engineering of cruel "accidents".
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »

No, you can't. They only do damage when the lever is pulled. You'd need to have a repeater constantly activating and deactivating them for that to work.

The most common use is indeed a trap corridor, that works on [trapavoid] creatures. And of course, creative engineering of cruel "accidents".

For example, 40d orcs were normally [trapavoid] and very destructive to fortresses, so a common fix was the upright-spike lined corridor.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 03:48:43 pm »

Trapavoid creatures mostly.  Nothing gets by the spikes, unless you put the lever someplace other then the dining room.  Also handy if you don't feel like dealing with that elf caravan or immigrant wave.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 04:30:58 pm »

I recall reading that if creatures fall on active spikes from above (ie., into a pit full of spikes), they'll take damage... haven't tried though, to be honest.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 04:32:50 pm »

I recall reading that if creatures fall on active spikes from above (ie., into a pit full of spikes), they'll take damage... haven't tried though, to be honest.

And I recall reading that they don't. Other than the normal falling damage, of course.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 04:56:34 pm »

They don't.

But they can take falling damage and then get stabbed with the spike traps.

Its two separate things, but generally a good 20 level drop is enough to finish off anything, so spikes really aren't needed.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 08:28:57 pm »

For example, 40d orcs were normally [trapavoid] and very destructive to fortresses, so a common fix was the upright-spike lined corridor.
What orcs?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »

What orcs?

The orcs from the orc mod, of course! Stronger, tougher goblins that siege earlier and carry steel equipment and come with more dudes. And trapavoid.

As for the spiked-pit thing, spikes do no damage until specifically extended. If you set up a repeater for them, you essentially get a spiked pit.

EDIT:
Also, they don't jam, they don't need to be reloaded, and they harm anything.
Good for nobles and pets.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:48:03 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 02:20:22 pm »

i just realized the topic title is a pun
Thoughts on water
Pages: [1] 2