Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i get more dwarfs?  (Read 868 times)

The fish cleaner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do i get more dwarfs?
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:55:24 am »

My fortess is mighty and ive built a trap that will surely catch any more kobald and goblin thefts!mwahaha!But ive grown tired of just the few workstocks i have now, and im hoping to expand my mighty dwarven empire beyond the seven dwarfs i have now.How can i convince more hapless pesants to come to my fort?:D
Blackened roar massive roar fills the crumbling sky shattered goal fills his soul with a ruthless cry!

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: How do i get more dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:01:28 am »

Wait for migrants

Use this in future rather than repeatably asking here (At least use the questions forum if you really have to)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:03:23 am »

Well, factors figuring into migration are the value of your fortress and the amount of trade you've done. So, make nice rooms, nice crafts, and wait.

It might help to make sure you have a bookkeeper who will help you keep track of your fortress value, but migrants will come regardless.
You can also start giving your original 7 some other skills. Sure, they'll start off terrible, but they'll get better over time.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 11:19:19 am »

I'm guessing this is your first time playing, and that your fort is still in its first year. If so, welcome to Dwarf Fortress.

Anyway, the answer is simply to wait. It depends slightly on which version you are playing:

40d : You usually have to wait until after the first dwarven caravan arrives (winter of year 1).
0.31.x : You should get migrants within the first year.

If you find that you still aren't getting any migrants after the second year, then you have probably embarked somewhere where they can't reach you. If that's the case, then you need to rely on breeding within your starting dwarves.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.