Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Fall of Memory - Death Pit  (Read 2113 times)

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kung Fu Kingdom - An RTS with Kung Fu!
The Fall of Memory - Death Pit
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:58:56 am »

In my latest fort I created a square room, 7 levels tall. Each level had the middle 5x5 mined out, leaving an empty shaft the entire way down. Outside the mined shaft I left a little room so dwarves could walk around the shaft and, most importantly, place items.

At the top I built a retracting bridge in the open space. At the bottom, I used gold plates and kolenite (red stone?) to create a target.

Starting on the second floor from the bottom, I lined the edge of the shaft with coffins. As the true heroes of my fortress die, I entomb them in these coffins and sarcophagus, with the earliest heroes being at the bottom, and the latest heroes at the top. Thus, the history of my fortress lies entombed within this Fall of Memory.

The bottom floor is left empty except for the target painted on the ground, so the falling dwarves may focus all their efforts on hitting the bullseye.

Dwarfs come from all over the world in order pay pilgrimage to the forgotten heroes of the land - by throwing themselves out into the Fall of Memory - and are honored to be able to view the coffins and engravings of true masters and warriors as they fall to the bottom.

On a technical note - 5-7 levels isn't exactly enough to kill all dwarves instantly. Most, but not all. I ended up with quite a few (considering the numbers I threw off that thing - stupid migrants) who managed to stay alive for a while - this was great practice for my medical dwarves, who quickly gained all sorts of useful skills.

I didn't get this set up until too late - and ended up tantrum spiraling due to an ambush + some of the people I threw off this thing. So in the end, I just drafted everyone I could and kept throwing them down the Fall of Memory until someone went into a tantrum and broke the bridge.

Still, my reclaim force will have an amazing pile of bodies to sort through.

I'll write a more story based description for this later in the other boards.
Snoopicus: What is the kill radius of lava heat?
Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fall of Memory - Death Pit
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:50:59 am »

Currently working on extending the pit through the cavern system. Will add glass windows so that they can see all the monsters as they fly by.

Not sure what effect this will have on forgotten beasts... interested to find out.
Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:09:44 pm »

You are disturbed.  I like that!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:02:49 pm »

Interesting idea:

On the one hand, a monument to your greatest heroes...
On the other, a device for creating 'practice patients'!

With healthcare being a levelled skill now, I knew it wouldn't be long before people started to find ways to keep their trainee doctors busy... lol.

Literally grinding [dwarves into pulp] for healthcare XP  ;D

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 03:13:26 pm »

I imagine it would be easier to put the earliest heroes on the top and the later ones on the bottom, so that you don't eventually run out of space, and can keep deepening the pit as new heroes kick the bucket.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 05:10:50 pm »

Can`t you build upwards?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 05:33:27 pm »

Can`t you build upwards?

not if you want to have a tricked out launching platform.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 05:53:01 pm »

Put a trampoline in the bottom?

Or have a staircase on the outside.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 06:05:39 pm »

Put a trampoline in the bottom?

Or have a staircase on the outside.
Yeah, one of my first thoughts was some sort of vertical launching device. Dwarf hits the bottom, gets launched back up, lands back on the bridge. That way, they can witness history from both directions.

I'd also suggest using it on enemies. That way, when they die when they hit the bottom, they know exactly who is going to be kicking their ass forever in the afterlife.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 08:34:16 pm »

Cerol: Are you sure this is the easiest way to practice diagnosing patients?  I mean, couldn't you just tell someone to go hunting and hope for an accident?

Urist: Shut up and pull the lever, pussy.

*CRACK*

Urist: Yep.  His legs are broken.  Bomrek, you're up next.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 09:32:36 pm »

It is, in fact, WAY easier to start from the top and work down from there.  I'm not sure what that has to do with anything though.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 12:49:52 am »

Started a new fortress built around the idea of this pit.

Starts at the lowest level I can go without going through lava, and extends up as far as I could go without having to build a tower through a few cave systems (which I will do eventually. I plan to reach the surface).

The Pilgrims hit the bottom floor so hard, their bodies explode, coating the room with blood and shooting various body parts up to a current record of five stories, landing on some of the higher platforms.

There are no survivors.

I plan to pave the entryway to my Fortress with masterwork rock coffins, with glass floors placed above them. These will be filled with the remains of the Pilgrims (who have no right to be entombed in the Fall of Memory). Invaders who enter will slaughter and be slaughtered by the fortresses heroes, and their blood will seep down into the coffins of the Pilgrims before they are entombed within the hall with their brethren.

The doors to the hall are air tight. No kittens allowed.

-Snoopicus
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:52:31 am by Snoopicus »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 02:19:02 am »

I did something like this as a temple project, but I never thought to use it as an executioner's tower, which would be extremely dorfy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:58 am »

Started a new fortress built around the idea of this pit.

Starts at the lowest level I can go without going through lava, and extends up as far as I could go without having to build a tower through a few cave systems (which I will do eventually. I plan to reach the surface).

The Pilgrims hit the bottom floor so hard, their bodies explode, coating the room with blood and shooting various body parts up to a current record of five stories, landing on some of the higher platforms.

There are no survivors.

I plan to pave the entryway to my Fortress with masterwork rock coffins, with glass floors placed above them. These will be filled with the remains of the Pilgrims (who have no right to be entombed in the Fall of Memory). Invaders who enter will slaughter and be slaughtered by the fortresses heroes, and their blood will seep down into the coffins of the Pilgrims before they are entombed within the hall with their brethren.

The doors to the hall are air tight. No kittens allowed.

-Snoopicus

This would be an excellent scene in a videogame.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 04:01:51 am »

That reminds me of the Commode of Death I built to efficiency take care of the all the goblins I kept on trapping.

There was a tank, rim, bowl, and trap.  The "tank" was a 2 Floodgate wide tap into the river which was routed by a 2 square wide path to the "rim".  The "rim" was a 11x11 room with an access door that lead to a holding room and a control room.  In the "rim", was a 9x9x4 pit that made up the "bowl".  At the bottom of the "bowl" was another 2 floodgate wide gate that emptied into a 2 square wide channel to the "trap".  The "trap" was a large area that was inspired by a horizontal "P"-trap.  Loot and bodies collected in a rectangular tap at the belly of the "P" and water drained off to another lower river through a fortification strained spout in a sheer cliff.  I wanted to make sure I didn't lose a single penny to the water washing it away.

Surprisingly, goblins and humans (the idiots leading them I guess) tended to survive entering the pit more often than not.  So, I filled the bowl halfway, waited for the occupants to have a fatal distancing from oxygen, and flushed them out.  Their loot and bodies got flushed out into the trap and caught in the tap area.  The water cleared and my dwarves got a bunch of goodies.

Fun times with dwarven plumbing.
Pages: [1] 2