Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for a monument?  (Read 995 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Idea for a monument?
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:29:25 am »

If you don't want to know about Forgotten beasts then leave now.

I breached the first layer of cavern when digging out my fortress, high above the ground level of the cavern. Eventually a forgotten beast showed up, couldn't path to my fort, and wandered off.

later when I was excavating more, I cut into an invisible area, and designated a wall to be built to block it off.

About a month later, I notice about 4 of my animals are dead, so I check my announcements. The wall got suspended and the Forgotten Beast apparently had made it's way to the other side of the cavern. By this time, it's in the dining room slaughtering animals and getting attacked by war jaguars. So I send in the military. They hack away and hack away and I realize it's not getting past bruising. I watched helplessly hoping for something miraculous. Nothing.

Eventually they wandered into the refuse piles, so I sent in the most noble craftsmen of my fort, the masons. I had to deconstruct about half of the chairs/tables in my dining room and un-suspend walls hundreds of times, but eventually I walled in my 6 surviving members of the military and the forgotten beast in the middle of my dining room. Most of them are injured, and dying of thirst. The Forgotten beast has actually healed some of its wounds.

Since I will not be able to retrieve their corpses to put in a tomb, what do I build to honor their gallant efforts?

tldr: I had to wall in a few military dwarves and a forgotten beast, what do I build to honor them?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for a monument?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:40:08 am »

Pump magma in. Once the beast is dead, build a monument atop the lava.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:43:26 am »

Magma? Jeez, some people are.. well whatever it's not helathy..

Hmm.. a monument you say? Howabout a statue by the entrance,
and infront of that an empty but masterfully crafted coffin as a symbol of those you could not bury.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:43:47 am »

Does that even kill them? They don't drown...
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:48:28 am »

At least you didn't get one that explodes into boiling mists of 'forgotten beast extract' every two seconds.  It killed 5 Legendary Axedwarves in full steel before they even got to him, and wiping out my oldest and most prestigious squad all in one go.  The other 5 behind them (two squads of five) got close to him and one of them hacked a wing off, he exploded into boiling mist again and EVERYTHING died, including the forgotten beast which was fortunate because he took out my entire military in about 2 seconds.

Anyhow, just had to get that off my chest.  Magma has no heat any more?  Turn on temperature real quick if you've got it off for FPS purposes.

I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:20:09 am »

Memorialize the fallen by testing how effective seige weaponry is on Forgotten Beasts.

Build a whole bunch of catapult parts and assemble them a short distance away from the wall. Carve a bunch of fortifications into the wall. Fire the catapults at the Beast through the fortifations and see how effect they are on it. If they don't work, then wall the entire chamber off and leave it there for all eternity.

If it does work, then use the corpse to make something special.

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:45:51 am »

Do your dwarfs have training weapons? Training weapons are glitched, your dwarfs never drop them and will usually use them over normal weapons, the fact that they do almost no damage makes this really bad.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 09:49:21 am »

Does that even kill them? They don't drown...
I think it should melt them if they are made out of something meltable
unfortunately, if you get a bauxite forgotten beast, you are probably going have a tougher time getting rid of it.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:04:22 am »

Six pyramids lining the route to your trade depot, as big as you care to make them. If you ever retrieve the bodies, put their tombs underneath.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:04:39 am »

Read about the physical appearance of the dwarves you want honored and then do this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 12:39:59 pm »

Do your dwarfs have training weapons? Training weapons are glitched, your dwarfs never drop them and will usually use them over normal weapons, the fact that they do almost no damage makes this really bad.

Yeah =/

Hey, can you forbid them to make them use something else?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

At least you didn't get one that explodes into boiling mists of 'forgotten beast extract' every two seconds.  It killed 5 Legendary Axedwarves in full steel before they even got to him, and wiping out my oldest and most prestigious squad all in one go.  The other 5 behind them (two squads of five) got close to him and one of them hacked a wing off, he exploded into boiling mist again and EVERYTHING died, including the forgotten beast which was fortunate because he took out my entire military in about 2 seconds.

Anyhow, just had to get that off my chest.  Magma has no heat any more?  Turn on temperature real quick if you've got it off for FPS purposes.

My FB had [SPEED:1] And shot out boiling AND frozen FB extract. every two seconds. It also cold one hit kill in melee. And I had no military. Just dogs. He ended freezing himself to death.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 02:00:18 pm »

They won't equip training weapons unless you tell them to, so remove it from the uniforms.

If they're already carrying the weapons, try forbidding or dumping them. If it doesn't work, kick your dwarves from the military, wait a bit, then draft them back.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:50 pm »

Seconding the siege weapon and Mount Rushmore ideas.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!