Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: quick fix for monkeys  (Read 654 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
quick fix for monkeys
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:56:23 pm »

In 40D, I could point at a dwarf and tell him "you kill monkeys now".  Now, I must have my arsenal dwarf fill out everything in triplicate before they can move.  I was halfway to getting all the equipment together to make the start of a functioning military but there are monkeys inside now running around biting people randomly.  How can I get something going quick without them being stuck stupid or stuck military forever?

[edit] I've just turned on woodcutting for everyone.  I just happened to have a ton of axes around for the caravan.  Let's see how that goes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:02:02 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: quick fix for monkeys
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:57:38 pm »

Make a military squad  with some of  your miners,
assign their  picks to  them and  use  them  as a squad  to kill the monkey.
Picks are deadly ;)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:02:22 pm »

My arsenal dwarf would need to sign everything in triplicate before they could be assigned their picks.  And wouldn't they be stuck as military with that equipment for ever and ever?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:08:07 pm »

It doesnīt matter as they already carry their picks (after all they use them in their job).
Equipping them  with one just should ensure that they  donīt drop them as  soon as their squad  is activated.

And to keep them from staying in the army forever just disband their squad after use.
From my experience however, soldiers only then stay soldiers, if you have assigned a barracks or shooting range  to their squad....
if this isnīt the case, they always return to their civilian jobs, after you send their squad off duty (even if the squad isnīt disbanded)

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:20:42 pm »

I was debating asigning my military dwarfs to woodcutting for similiar reasons but was worried that they might start training with Iron battleaxes not training stuff; a reason to worry?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:25:24 pm »

Maybe, at least some person in the forum mentioned chopped off limbsafter assigning axes to his/her military dwarves.

I for  my part  never hada problem however...
my dwarves always get assigned their weapons even before having the necessary armor to equip them
and they will do individual combat drills after having  their own barracks...
these seem to only consist of  standing around and doing nothing however (maybe hearing lectures from combat trainers)
and I never had any training accidents

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:14:19 am »

I got tired of waiting for my army of woodcutters to stand up to the monkeys and made a military.  the military went stupid so I savescummed.  This time I made cage traps, monkey problem solved.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:28:07 am »

I have a high master armorer and all inadequate weaponsmiths, so I set up two smithys and the high master makes the steel armor and the other place makes trinkets.

It reached a point where I had delightfully armored dwarfs and no real weapons aside from what I purchased.  I don't really have enough iron to go around making disposable weapons to train up my other metalcrafters, and there isn't a drop of copper or silver that I've found to make cheapo weapons.

Anyway I caged a goblin thief, and decided to send out a new squad after him, so they got some practice.

Bins of exceptional steel plate were ignored, as the arsenal dwarf spent must of his time plumping his helmet.  I expected wrestling as a result of the lack of weapons, but not naked wrestling.  this goblin thief practically wasted the group of ten.  The most these guys carried were iron caps and steel shields.  Hell even the war dogs got their tails handed to them.  From a goblin thief.

Next time I will just send in the seasoned guys and leave the fresh recruits at home.  I am sure it would have gone much better if they put on their armor.
igless

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »

Yow.  That you even got a thief in a cage means it was the lowliest of thieves indeed, they handed a goblin peasant a sack and booted him out the door.

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »

Maybe, at least some person in the forum mentioned chopped off limbsafter assigning axes to his/her military dwarves.

I for  my part  never hada problem however...
my dwarves always get assigned their weapons even before having the necessary armor to equip them
and they will do individual combat drills after having  their own barracks...
these seem to only consist of  standing around and doing nothing however (maybe hearing lectures from combat trainers)
and I never had any training accidents

Wow, in one fortress alone, 4 of my 7 starting dwarfs suffered fatal training accidents when i tried out a military build. Apparently, sparring with wooden weapons was quite lethal for some reason in that fort, because 2 were missing heads, 1 was missing an arm and bled to death, and the other died from having an organ pierced. I had 2 spears, 2 axes, and 3 swords in the lot, and the survivors all had swords >_<

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 02:12:19 pm »

War dogs don't need weapons. Train a few and watch them eat monkeys.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »

Make a military squad  with some of  your miners,
assign their  picks to  them and  use  them  as a squad  to kill the monkey.
Picks are deadly ;)

picks are deadly.  In one of my first ambushes I had a talented unarmored miner outside fleeing from some goblins.  They caught her, but because of her mining skill she was able to parry and counterstrike each of them.  She smashed the first in the foot, crushing/shattering the bone putting him into 'extreme pain.'  The second one she hit in the thigh, shattering bone though the armor leggings and rupturing an artery, who then fainted while she ran away unscratched.  By the time my military got there the goblins had recovered somewhat and were still able to put 3 of my dwarves in hospital.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 07:04:17 pm »

War dogs don't need weapons. Train a few and watch them eat monkeys.
That was the original plan when I embarked but the lag is horrible without releasing more creatures.