Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get the elves to leave quicker  (Read 1278 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
How to get the elves to leave quicker
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:51:03 pm »

Ok, so I'm sure you've noticed the elves are bugged this version and bring an epic crapton of stuff, then sit in your depot for 6 months loading it back up when it's time to leave. Worse, it seems to drag the framerate down even more while they pack up.

I'm sure you've also noticed the bug where your liaison meetings progress even while paused if you paint designations with the mouse.

Well, I just discovered the merchants load up crap while the game is paused if you paint stuff with the mouse too! and since it's paused they use all your CPU power to do it so it goes really really fast!

So when the elves start to pack up, pause the game, select remove designation (d) - (x) and just point at any spot and hold the mouse button down. They should suck up all the goods really quick (5 - 10 seconds for me) and then leave instantly when you unpause it.

It also works with other traders too, though they bring much less crap then the elves so it's not as big a deal. It might also work with them setting goods up - I haven't tried.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: How to get the elves to leave quicker
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:20:10 pm »

Quite nice trick there.
although, it is the elves. why not just keep it all and give your crafters a break?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:43:06 pm »

Quite nice trick there.
although, it is the elves. why not just keep it all and give your crafters a break?

Because they seem to pack SO MUCH CRAP on those warthogs, you're still hauling berries and wooden crafts when the humans turn up to have the remainder offloaded onto them.
They must be superwarthogly strong to even be able to move...
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:51:46 pm »

Quite nice trick there.

Firstly, because my crafters already have a break - the goblins bring enough crap I don't actually ever have to make anything anymore.

Secondly, because like Skorpion said they bring SO MUCH CRAP. Literally, THOUSANDS of items per category. If I robbed everything once I'd spend a decade hauling it to stockpiles and I'd never be able to sell it all, ever. My framerate actually drops from ~100 to ~60 when the elves come just because of the absolutely absurdly huge piles of junk they bring - if I stole it I'd have to play at 60 fps.

So I just steal a few token items to get them to pack up and leave quicker. I'm working on relocating my depot so I can give them a magma bath and burn up all the garbage they bring simultaneously but for now I use this trick to move things along.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:41:35 am »

If only there was some substance you could pour onto your trading depot that would get rid of both the elves and their piles of crap in one glorious puff of smoke and !!rope reed cloth!!.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:44:57 am »

If only there was some substance you could pour onto your trading depot that would get rid of both the elves and their piles of crap in one glorious puff of smoke and !!rope reed cloth!!.

We could market it and sell it as Urist McBroker's Elf Remover.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 03:53:58 am »

In my experience, release a skeletal deer or something equally hostile, forbid the entire 5x5 mess, unforbid the 3 stones used in the depot, wait for the humies.  Not only do you steal everything the elves own, it stays at the depot ready for trading.  Bought everything useful out of the human caravan with half the useless garbage left over from an elf caravan thanks to our living impaired friends.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:04:11 am »

open your raws, creature_large_tropical.txt, and find the entry for Warthog. add the tag [TRADE_CAPACITY:1500] somewhere. prevents them from bringing a bajillion items, which is the source of these problems (massive fps hit, them taking forever to pack, etc).